How long to discharge caps?

dvb

« on: 6 Nov 2003, 03:58 am »
I will occasionally start a listening session without my outboard tube phono pre turned on.  When it is time to listen to vinyl, I power off the 500ex before turning on the phono pre.  However, I find that, even after waiting a few minutes and then turning on the phono pre, when I turn on the amp again there is a fair thump through the speakers.

I am assuming there is power stored in the caps that is still picking up the transient from the phono pre and passing it through, and that I need to wait even longer before powering up again.

I have I got this more or less right?  How long should I wait?

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2003, 02:14 pm »
The Fet Valve amplifier have no significant on or off transients when turned on from cold or when turned off.  However, if turned back on while the small signal tubes are still hot, and the power supply capacitors are still mostly charged, then the turn-on will be more abrupt, causing a turn-on thump (no case of speaker damage has ever been reported).  Solution, wait about 10 minutes or so before turning back on so that the built in slow turnon characterists have a chance to work.

Frank Van Alstine