Just bought a used pair of D-200's

DZetye

Just bought a used pair of D-200's
« on: 22 Jul 2008, 10:31 pm »
I am very excited about listening to the D-200's I just bought that are in the mail on their way to me.  Can anyone offer what I should expect from them sound quality wise?
I am using a BAT tube preamp and a Modwright signature truth tube CD player with the tube power supply into a pair of Spendor 7/1's.  Does this sound like it is a good match for these amps?

topround

Re: Just bought a used pair of D-200's
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2008, 11:05 pm »
Don't know the spendors sound so well, but the D200's are great amps, and paired with a good tube preamp, and I would lean in the more tubey sounding preamp, the match will be great.
I used the d200's with my mapletree preamp and the synergy was breathtaking, I came very close to pulling the trigger on a pair, but wanted to stick with a tube amp(s) .
I think you will be very happy. I had the pleasure of having the Modwright modded Sony cdplayer(full blown sig mod) in my system for about two weeks and was very impressed, I think the addition of tubes, especially in the source is very smart, at least for my ears!
Should be a nice combo, of course cables makes things a bit complicated, but if you have friends do what I do ...swap till you find what you like!

Enjoy they are great amps

mike

denjo

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2008, 01:08 am »
The D*200 has a beguiling tube-like warmth, midrange is its strength. It has enough power and slam for most speakers. Matched with a good preamp, the D*200 will provide an enjoyable musical experience. Even solid state preamps (like Steve McCormack's ALD-1 Rev A) sounds very musical. if not for reliability problems with my D*200s (and the hassle of getting it repaired), I would honestly have been quite content with them.

CSI

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2008, 10:08 pm »
My guess is the first thing you will notice is improved depth, definition and control in the bass region of your Spendors. After you get used to the D-200's you will begin to appreciate a real "ease" to the sound which, in my opinion, results from very low distortion and ruler flat frequency response, regardless of the load. I've used my D-200's with two different tube pre's and am currently using the full function CIA passive. No wrong choices here - just a different degree of warmth from upstream components. The D-200's will always sound warmer (even "tubier") than most other SS designs. And, if it is important to you, they are very green. Even without using the front panel mute switches they draw only a few watts so you can leave them on 24/7. With over 90% efficiency, most of the power that comes out of the wall is used to drive the speakers so they are greener in that regard as well. I'm not a shill for Dusty, I just love these amps and the longer I own them (going on two years now) the harder it would be for me to part with them.