Power cord for Bryston

amdan

Power cord for Bryston
« on: 20 Jul 2008, 12:30 pm »
I would like to upgrade the power cord to my 14 B ST (20 Amps) and am looking for recommendations. I am particularly interested in opinions from those who have compared a few cords.

I appreciate that many audiophiles (and Bryston) do not believe in after market power cords. I respect your position but would appreciate it if you wouldn't turn this thread into an argument against after market power cords.

TIA.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Power cord for Bryston
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2008, 01:04 pm »
I would like to upgrade the power cord to my 14 B ST (20 Amps) and am looking for recommendations. I am particularly interested in opinions from those who have compared a few cords.

I appreciate that many audiophiles (and Bryston) do not believe in after market power cords. I respect your position but would appreciate it if you wouldn't turn this thread into an argument against after market power cords.

TIA.

Hi TIA,

From my point of view it is not that Bryston believes after market power cords and cables don't make a sonic difference.  My position on these kinds of things is that you can not tell a person they do not hear what the claim they hear - all we can do is try to understand as scientifically as possible what could be going on to cause one cable to sound different from another - not to mention whether that difference is a plus or minus.

Being an audiophile myself I know there are many aspects of an audio system that defy common measurements so I am certainly open to all and any input that comes our way.

james

niels

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2008, 08:01 pm »
There are some comments here : http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=30174.0 , and yes, it also contains some discussion, but focus on the brands mentioned then.

splittailz

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2008, 10:20 pm »

TIA.
hello Tia. just my 2 cents worth here but all my power cords are homemade from belden wire with wattgate connectors,http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=100-790 parts express. I feel this is more than adequate and wont leave you in the poor house, probably the same wire most expensive cords are using anyway. A Torus will serve you much better than a expensive power cord.

amdan

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2008, 04:35 am »
There are some comments here : http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=30174.0 , and yes, it also contains some discussion, but focus on the brands mentioned then.

Thanks Niels. I have gone through that thread. Unfortunately there was only one person who had done any comparisons of cables. Most simply stated what they were using.

I recently replace my power cord on my CDP and it made a significant improvement hence my renewed interest in this area.

thorman

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2008, 11:31 am »
There are many power cord upgrades that will definately help you out..Also they all sound a bit different so its kind of a selection process..I have had good luck with VH Audio with the Flavor 4 power cord on my amps..You can also save money ( if you wish ) by doing the F/4 DIY..The VH Audio cablers are a very good buy..That would be my first suggestion...You also have the Usedcable.com  where you can try many at one time.......Good Luck

niels

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2008, 05:35 pm »
Have to admit I made my own out of normal house installation cable, solid core. Not entirely legal, I know, but from the fuse box all the way to the amp its the same solid core cable then.  I use the same for speaker wire....
I had a Stax srm-006t tube amplifier with 4040 electrostatic headphones, and changing the original power cord to an Isotek did nothing to the sound. Since then I stopped looking......

Doronor

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2008, 06:54 am »

Thanks Niels. I have gone through that thread. Unfortunately there was only one person who had done any comparisons of cables. Most simply stated what they were using.

I recently replace my power cord on my CDP and it made a significant improvement hence my renewed interest in this area.

Hi,

I cannot replace my Bryston 4B power cord since my amp is 1980 model with the stock cord attached and cannot be changed to a socket.
However I did experiment with many power cords for my pre-amp and CDP and found some that got me closer to my audio ideal.
Caveat: These cables, like any other component in your system, are extremely system dependent and hence one cannot draw a conclusion re what is a good or a bad cable and probably there is not such thing as good or bad but only good or bad to your ears in your system.

Every cable has to be assessed within the context of your system.

My specific set-up is the following:

Sonus Faber GP Home (6 Ohm impedance)

Joule-Electra LAP-150 Mk II pre-amp

Bryston 4B Pro (1980 model with the Iron Core Transformers – on purpose. Tried the NRB but did not like it – it had tiny bit more details but harder sounding and the sweetness was gone)

Meridian 596 Player

Bisaudio Maestro Interconnects

Cardas Crosslink Speaker Cables

Bis Audio Maestro  Pre-amp Power Cord

Bis Audio AC20 WG CD Player Power Cord

I tried cables from Black-Sand (Violet), Cardas (Golden Reference), Audience, Sine Cassio, PS Audio and BIS Audio (www.bisaudio.com).
In my system, to my ears and per my taste the BIS sounded better than the rest.
It completely got rid of any harshness associated with my speakers' splashy tweeter and provided tube like musicality (Lush and smooth yet very ambient sound. Beautiful long decay and solid bass. Lower sound floor - one not need to crank up the volume to hear details. Better inner detail).

Caveat: While these cables excel when there is a solid state in your audio chain, on all tube system these cables sounded too mushy, too thick and a tad slow - too much of a good thing if you will.

A good review of these cables (a review which I read after I had my own personal experience with these cables and I tend to agree with) can be found on:
http://www.innerearmag.com/reviews/cables/18-1_bis_audio.html

However I disagree with the so-called added musicality or bloom when used in all tube systems - I think these cables do not work very well with all tube gear but than one should experiment with his own gear and draw a conclusion.

Regarding the Power-amp cord, James Tanner mentioned the Torus will probably benefit more (will be able to supply excess amperage to the amp when required which has more significance than cable noise filtration and shielding). It surely sounds promising but I did not try it yet to voice an opinion.

I hope this somewhat helps,

Best regards

Doron

amdan

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2008, 03:39 am »
Thanks Doron. I was hoping someone would be able to guide me to a couple of cables to try out on the Bryston. However, as you say it looks like I will have to experiment myself.

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2008, 04:55 am »
I use to use Shunyata Anacondas(helixes)and python(helixes)on my 7B-ssts and 4Bssts and all components.
I decided to try out a Lessloss on my Arcam cdp/dvd,I was using a Anaconda helix VX.The Lessloss cleared
up a murkiness (INSTANTLY),I didn't even have to try or think to listen,
Now I'm using all Lessloss on all my amps and components(I even wired up my TorusX2)They work for me
and I believe my cable hunt is over.

Arcam AV-8,Arcam 139,Bryston BCD-1(MY FAVORITE) 8),Allnic-1200 PH stage,Clearaudio ChampionII
Bryston 3x7B-ssts,2X4B-ssts,Velodyne DD-15
revel 50as and s-30s,Torus 20a and 15a Balanced(AWESOME) aa,I use to use Hydras.
and all Cardas GRCS :D.

denjo

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2008, 10:21 am »
Now I'm using all Lessloss on all my amps and components(I even wired up my TorusX2)They work for me

drummermitchell
Which Lessloss cable are you using - the entry level or the topend with filtering? Are the cables connected to the Torus? I have read elsewhere that the Lessloss filtering cables are best plugged straight from the wall. What are your views?

Best regards
Dennis

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2008, 01:46 pm »
Hi Dennis,I'm using their top filtered cable.I never would have sold all my Shunyatas as I was happy with
what I had.But for the 350.00,I thought I'd give it a shot.I like when I don't have to think I hear something
or have to concentrate to try and imagine I hear something.That cable definately opened up a curtain on
my musical stage.I bought two Lessloss 20a cables and changed the male ends to 240v as both my Toruses
are 240v balanced.I'm thinking of getting a 60a Torus for my amps and use the 20a for components and sub.
Using just the 15a for my amps,couldn't handle all the power my amps like.When I ran all amps to the 20a
and components to the 15a,OOOOOHH it is so,so good.THAT FEELING OF POWER.Best way I can describe that, is the difference between a honda 90 and a 650 BSA lightning when you are turning up the throttle.
I'm getting carried away here by what I hear.I'm keeping my Brystons,cables,Toruses.I tell everybody I come across to at least try out a Torus(one that will handle your total power consumption) and you'll be in shock :drool:.For me I'm staying with the LESSLOSS because what I hear is LESSLOSS.

denjo

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2008, 02:00 pm »
For me I'm staying with the LESSLOSS because what I hear is LESSLOSS.

Hi drummermitchell

Thanks for your reply. I like your last line - sounds like a really great tagline!  :D The filtered Lessloss is now selling at $569. Looks like you got a really good price for them. I am also eyeing the Torus and hope someday all my hifi components will be powered by it!

Happy listening!

Best Regards
Dennis

amdan

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2008, 07:58 am »
I use to use Shunyata Anacondas(helixes)and python(helixes)on my 7B-ssts and 4Bssts and all components.
I decided to try out a Lessloss on my Arcam cdp/dvd,I was using a Anaconda helix VX.The Lessloss cleared
up a murkiness (INSTANTLY),I didn't even have to try or think to listen,

Arcam AV-8,Arcam 139,Bryston BCD-1(MY FAVORITE) 8),Allnic-1200 PH stage,Clearaudio ChampionII
Bryston 3x7B-ssts,2X4B-ssts,Velodyne DD-15
revel 50as and s-30s,Torus 20a and 15a Balanced(AWESOME) aa,I use to use Hydras.
and all Cardas GRCS :D.

Wow. That is quite a recommendation for the LESSLOSS. I was thinking of trying the Anacondas but have been waiting to get a used cable - which is very hard to come by. Could you let me know if you are using the filtered power cable on all your components?

drummermitchell

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2008, 01:32 pm »
Hi,there is a used Anaconda helix on canuck,I'm using Lessloss on everything,Amps,prepro,BCD-1,sub,Toruses.When the lessloss cleaned up my 139,I figured time to swap them all out.it doesn't mean it improved all components but it sure didn't degrade anything either.If anything
 degraded the sound, I would have kept some Anas and pythons.The HUGEST difference was with the TORUSES
Am to Stereo(sound wise) :drool:Their that dramatic of a difference and then came the BCD-1,another huge upgrade.I'll definately try out the BRYSTON 3.0 when she comes out.This is soooooo much fun when components, cables,speakers,ect.make a major difference without trying or thinking you hear a difference,
the sound is there in your face.I remember chatting with Luidas(Lessloss) who had said if they had to do all the marketing,advertising,ect. that their cables would cost close to 3000.00.I had it wrote down,I do believe it was around 2800 and change,My cable hunt is over.For me I'm very satisfied :D

splittailz

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2008, 03:40 pm »
Hi,there is a used Anaconda helix on canuck,I'm using Lessloss on everything,Amps,prepro,BCD-1,sub,Toruses.When the lessloss cleaned up my 139,I figured time to swap them all out.it doesn't mean it improved all components but it sure didn't degrade anything either.If anything
 degraded the sound, I would have kept some Anas and pythons.The HUGEST difference was with the TORUSES
Am to Stereo(sound wise) :drool:Their that dramatic of a difference and then came the BCD-1,another huge upgrade.I'll definately try out the BRYSTON 3.0 when she comes out.This is soooooo much fun when components, cables,speakers,ect.make a major difference without trying or thinking you hear a difference,
the sound is there in your face.I remember chatting with Luidas(Lessloss) who had said if they had to do all the marketing,advertising,ect. that their cables would cost close to 3000.00.I had it wrote down,I do believe it was around 2800 and change,My cable hunt is over.For me I'm very satisfied :D
maybe in a year or so I should sell you my Torus 60 and get a new 100 aa