Anyone have a good tuner they wouldn't mind parting with?

Wayner

My old Soundcraftsmen has crapped out and there isn't much to pick from.

Wayner

GBB

Re: Anyone have a good tuner they wouldn't mind parting with?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2008, 05:09 pm »
I've got quite a few old tuners that are currently sitting around unused.  Things like Pioneer 9500, 9500 II, F9, Kenwood 7500 that I should probably start selling off.  Let me know if any of these are of interest and we can probably work something out.
Thanks,
---Gary

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2008, 05:12 pm »
I have an old Dynaco FM-5 (solid state) tuner that is no longer used.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2008, 07:05 pm »
I have a really nice Sumo Aurora. 

akanrg

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2008, 07:23 pm »
I have a beautiful Sony ST-730ES in pristine condition!

RodMCV

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2008, 07:30 pm »
I have 2 great  Sansui 9900's, let me know as  one can go at a reasonable price.

KS

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2008, 08:04 pm »
I don't think the $100 Sony XDR-F1HD tuner can be beat.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665401984

I would have done the user interface differently, but the output of this little unit is very, very good.  Analog FM is the best I've heard in my fringe location, and HD FM is great, especially on the local classical station that uses both channels.

More:  http://www.ham-radio.com/k6sti/ac.html

akanrg

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2008, 08:19 pm »
I have 2 great  Sansui 9900's, let me know as  one can go at a reasonable price.

What's your reasonable price?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2008, 08:33 pm »
I am surprised that doug s. hasn't chimed in yet.  He usually has about 10 tunas around his place.  I do have a Bill Ammons modified KT8300.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2008, 08:53 pm »
I just picked one of those up last week nice unit  :thumb: good sound as far as I'm concerned the only complant i have is it is so small it looks out of place on the rack  :lol:

I don't think the $100 Sony XDR-F1HD tuner can be beat.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665401984

I would have done the user interface differently, but the output of this little unit is very, very good.  Analog FM is the best I've heard in my fringe location, and HD FM is great, especially on the local classical station that uses both channels.

More:  http://www.ham-radio.com/k6sti/ac.html

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2008, 09:30 pm »
Wayner: Plenty of castoffs at goodwill stores...most no more than $20.00  :thumb:

Give it a good antenna and enjoy any of them for what they offer...it's not a hi-fi/hi-res source anyhow (it's can only be as good as the source, and the source are stock Redbook players at most radio stations now - unless that has changed recently and I'm not aware), not better.

Fine for the background chatter that FM is for $20.00. The stereo subcarrier is at 19 kHz, and the signal must be filtered considerably below that so the subcarrier does not leak in.

John

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2008, 09:46 pm »
Thanks for chimming in on this, guys!

I already have a Dynaco FM-5....it is a good tuner.

I will consider some other suggestions, but will have to look some of them up to see what they look like.

The Sony HD radio is interesting, but I've heard good and bad comments on the entire HD radio concept.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2008, 09:50 pm »
Does the Sony HD radio also receive regular AM and FM?

W

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2008, 09:58 pm »

W

Yes it does  :thumb: and a search function for hd am and fm

DZetye

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:21 pm »
The Sony HD tuner also offers a $50 rebate.  I have the link somewhere but I will have to find it to post it if there is interest.

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:28 pm »
The Sony HD tuner also offers a $50 rebate.  I have the link somewhere but I will have to find it to post it if there is interest.

http://www.jr.com/boutique/hd-radios/

Doublej

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2008, 11:14 pm »
I think the rebate is available here. Thanks for the tip.

http://www.kbia.org/hdradio/2008rebateform.pdf

bbchem

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2008, 02:02 am »

I have a SAE Tuner and a Carver Tuner

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2008, 04:30 am »
I am surprised that doug s. hasn't chimed in yet.  He usually has about 10 tunas around his place.  I do have a Bill Ammons modified KT8300.
chime-chime!   :green:

yes, i have a plethora of tuna chez-sedon.  actually, rim, i have more than twenty, presently.  time to "thin the school"?   :lol:  i have quite a few i could part with, at all different ranges of quality/price - $50-$3500.   :green:  including a mint & refurb'd/modded sansui tu-9900.  somewhere in the middle, tho not what i would consider "reasonable".   :lol:  it's one of the best tunas ever made, imo - up there w/the tu-x1, & far nicer looking.   i'd consider any offers over $1000.  i have a mint refurb'd & modded sony st-a6b i'd let go for $600.  i am listening to it presently, as i am typing.  seriously killer - sound and reception.  (the last two of these i say on ebay sold for $400 & $500 never serviced.)  then, there's an akai at-v04 that i would sell for $50.  killer reception, good sound.  and a sony st-80f for $40.  good reception & very good sound.  and a klh 18, completely refurb'd & aligned - $120.  good reception, very good sound.  and an extremely rare denon tu-900, completely refurb'd/aligned - $250.  excellent reception, very good sound.  (these normally sell for that, w/o service, but one of the wood end-caps got damaged in shipping - i reversed them both so the damaged end is at the back, so it looks decent on the rack, but the now-front-facing back of the caps isn't as nice as the fronts.)  and a completely refurb'd aligned modded sansui tu-x1 that i would sell for $3500.  i have mixed feelings about letting this beast go, but i sure could use the cash.  (mebbe i'd keep the tu9900 if i sold this one?)  and a refurb'd modded dyna fm3 for $175.  excellent sound, ok reception - you need a good signal for this one.  and, i will likely have a mint refurb'd modded mcintosh mr74 f/s, but not for a few months - i am considering send it to terry dewick for the work - i really wanna hear it w/mods first!   :wink:  as-is, i rate it good reception, decent sound.  (i think the s/s mac tunas are extremely over-rated for sound, i have no idea why they command such a premium.  the mr74 & mr77, are known by avid tunaphiles to be the best sounding macs, tho - not the better-known mr78.)

re: the new sony f1hd, it is a really decent sounding tuna, on analog stations, and decent on hd stations, too, but not as good as w/analog.  unfortunately, you cannot force it into analog if the station is broadcasting hd, but there's a mod out there to allow you to do this.  (and a few other mos, as well.)  if you have a marginal station - one that is noisy in stereo, but quiet in mono, for example - this diminutive little box will give you the best sound of any tuna out there.  it's about the best tuna out there, reception-wise, imo, regardless of price.  but - you absolutely need a tube buffer stage between it & your preamp for serious listening - otherwise its sound is a bit sterile, & will have you thinking about doing something else, after a while.  kinda like some cd players?   8)  w/a tube buffer, it really is nice... 

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2008, 04:32 am »

W
yes, but if the station broadcasts hd, you unfortunately cannot force it to receive the analog signal, w/o modding it...

doug s.

(i have never tried its am capabilities.)