CD>LPs? and SB>CDs? What to do now??

geowak

CD>LPs? and SB>CDs? What to do now??
« on: 17 Jul 2008, 04:20 pm »
Do CDs really sound better than LPs? And does the Squeezebox really sound better than a quality CD player with an outboard DAC? :scratch:

Everyone seems to be replacing their HI-FI sources like CD players and vinyl gear and even bypassing the preamp to go from a modded SB directly to the amp (How is it done?). But hey....does it really sound better?? :scratch:

Also, I have a quality amp and preamp (tube) and also a Benchmark USB1. Is there a SB or source like it that does not have internal DAC's that would have a display like a SB along with it being wireless (I have an in home router) I would like to from Router to SB to Benchmark DAC to AMP. How would it sound? :scratch:

THANKS

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: CD>LPs? and SB>CDs? What to do now??
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2008, 05:37 pm »
Do CDs really sound better than LPs? And does the Squeezebox really sound better than a quality CD player with an outboard DAC? :scratch:
The answer could be yes or no depending on what you are comparing.

Everyone seems to be replacing their HI-FI sources like CD players and vinyl gear and even bypassing the preamp to go from a modded SB directly to the amp (How is it done?). But hey....does it really sound better?? :scratch:
Depends.

Also, I have a quality amp and preamp (tube) and also a Benchmark USB1. Is there a SB or source like it that does not have internal DAC's that would have a display like a SB along with it being wireless (I have an in home router)

Airport Express?

I would like to from Router to SB to Benchmark DAC to AMP. How would it sound? :scratch:

THANKS

Good.

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2008, 06:36 pm »
Woodsyi
What is the airport express??? Please?

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2008, 06:41 pm »
If you use the Benchmark with any digital transport whether CDP, hard drive, memcard or network it will all sound like the Benchmark, better or worse depending on the jitter across the digital link. Strategies for reducing jitter are popping up, so it is becoming less of a problem with newer gear.

Sonos, Sooloos, Squeezbox, Duet, Transporter, and of course PC/foobar are some options with metadata visible from the listening spot. I like Sonos very much, I use it with an external DAC with excellent results. Best value in quality and performance for me.

For me, I don't want to clean, flip and store records so I prefer digital. My choice has less to do with the sound and more of convenience and overall enjoyment and freedom. I can't buy most new releases on vinyl. I have heard TT rugs that sound a lot better than my digital, but mine is good enough, and I like being able to hear whatever I want right now without cleaning, flipping and storing Vinyl, or even CDs for that matter.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/  It does not have a metadata display. It has a digital output which can be controlled by a networked computer and sent to your Benchmark.

Look for a used Squeezebox 3 to give it a try as a digital transport. You will be hooked.
Rich

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2008, 07:56 pm »
Geowak,

Do you already have a SB?  Have you ripped music into a server yet? I can lend you a SB to test with your DAC if you don't already have one.   Have you tried using Foobar/JRiver/others to play from computer into your USB DAC?

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2008, 08:42 pm »
Woodsyi

Thanks alot for the offer and the help. Your system looks VERY NICE. I was a TT guy... hooked!
But then I got a Rega Apollo, which was the BEST CDP  I had heard, so I'm now stuck on CD sound.
The Benchmark made a sound improvement. The amp is an Odyssey Stratos (upgraded caps and transformer) and a Odyssey Candela. I do not have a SB, but want to get into the ripping CD's with good
software and replaying back with the intent on quality sound. I'm also looking for something wireless and
with a display and the possibility of playback - HD radio. I wonder about Richido's sonus setup as well.

Trying to leave CDs behind and move forward??

Hoots

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2008, 11:52 pm »
I like the sound of my vinyl records in many cases better than any of the digital options.  For many modern CDs I can't even listen to the CD due to the highly compressed mastering.  "Icky Thump" is a good example where the mastering is totally different.    Many of my classic rock favs sound more natural and enjoyable on vinyl but some have some re-issued well done CD versions.  For example the new Allman Bros MoFi CD sound very similar to my lp so I just listen to the CD.

The audiophile re-issue campains are not always on both analog and digital so if you want a great re-master like say the BLUE NOTE albums by Music Matter or the WB re-issues like "BLUE" by Joni Mitchel you need a TT.  OThers like the BLUE NOTE AP re-issues will be on both digital and analog.   It seems like vinyl is getting a lot of the audiophile re-issue focus these days.

For digital I use an interpolation DSP (PT P1a) and DAC.  I have both CD and PC sound card options with PC diplay on my Big Screen w/remote.  The jukebox on the PC is hard to beat for ease of use but I've been buying so many vinyl records lately I have gotten into a habit of cleaning and listening to mostly records at home and digital in the car,