Resistors for Cornet

Rono944

Resistors for Cornet
« on: 4 Nov 2003, 08:25 pm »
I am going to purchase a Cornet half kit and wanted suggestions on what type of MF resistors you would recommend.  I have my preferences as to caps but with the small signals being generated I could use some input as to resistors and which may be considered critical.  Thanks in advance.

Ron Ostrow

mgalusha

Resistors for Cornet
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2003, 04:39 am »
I can say what didn't work well. I ordered the Xicon's that JH specifies but Digikey was out of stock on the 10k so I picked up some Panasonic resistors from Mouser. I wanted to build the unit nearly stock at first to get a handle on the sound before investing in boutique resistors.

After it was up and running it was quite noisy. This was not what everyone else was saying about the Cornet. About a week later the back ordered 10k Xicon resistors showed up and since I had been unable to quiet down the preamp I swapped them in, thinking there wouldn't be much change. I was surprised and happy to hear that it was much quieter. I took a measurement and it was 12db quieter with no input. It appeared the Panasonic resistors were much noisier. A friend built his with the Riken Ohm resistors and it sounds very good. It actually sounds very good with the Xicons but the Riken's seemed to be cleaner, especially in the upper frequencies.

Mike G.