Fixing warped vinyl?

Airborn

Fixing warped vinyl?
« on: 12 Jul 2008, 06:42 am »
I just bought a used copy of John Mayall, The Turning Point, for which I have been searching awhile. 

Unfortunately, it has a large warp I didn't notice in my excitement to buy. :cry:  Does anyone know how to fix an outer edge warp w/o damaging the vinyl?  I've seen some threads on some forums about putting it between 2 heavy tiles and baking in the oven for an hour or so.  Can this work?? :scratch:  If so, how long and at what temp.?  What type of tiles to use?  Thanks for any suggestions.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Fixing warped vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2008, 06:51 am »
How about this ???

Or this...... :scratch:

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2008, 07:24 pm »
There are several threads on Audiogon about this topic, check the archives. Yes, it works. I wouldn't advise tiles unless they were VERY flat, any uneven surface could risk marring the grooves. I'd rather go for plate glass myself. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees F. (if you can set it that low.) If not, preheat it and then let it cool to that point before putting a sandwich of glass/lp/glass into the oven. Make sure every surface is clean. Just leave it alone and let it cool down for a couple hours before removing it. I'd NEVER do this on a valuable lp without testing the procedure first with a warped junker lp, oven thermostats are notorious for being inaccurate. I've flattened numerous lp's with low heat and never damaged the first one.

Airborn

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2008, 06:18 am »
Thanks for the responses.  I'll try the oven method as soon as I can get some glass pieces of the correct size.  :thumb: