Favorite Canon lens

Tubes 4 Ever

Favorite Canon lens
« on: 11 Jul 2008, 12:12 pm »
OK it is time for me to get on a subject I truly love and that is cameras. Just picked up a 20D and a 1N RS. Now I need some glass. Any suggestions? I have bought a couple cheap kit lens to get me started but really have no experience with Canon at all. So toss out some suggestions. I want to stay south of $500 and of course want a compact, lightweight, do it all lens.
Thanks

twitch54

Re: Favorite Canon lens
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2008, 12:23 pm »
I love my 24-105 "L" series lens, but that won't fit your budget. I'd look for a similar focal length in Sigma, I've dealt with B&H for years, not the cheapest, but they have always stood behind what they sell, at least for me.

RandyH

Re: Favorite Canon lens
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2008, 12:32 pm »
One of the best all around lens I used with my 20D was the EFS 17-85.  It fits all of your criteria.  It has a very usable range, is light and compact, under $500.  Even though I have since upgraded my camera and purchased other and higher quality lenses, if I had to go somewhere and could take only one walk-around lens I suspect it might be the 17-85.  Since you specified a "do it all" lens I assumed you were interested in a zoom.