HD Music Downloads.

NewBuyer

Re: HD Music Downloads.
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2008, 04:50 am »
NewBuyer,

Have you had any experience with Transporter, and if so, what was your impression?
I was toying with idea of getting Transporter before taking PC transport path.
And what was your experience with PC?...

Hi Sasha,

Yes I have experience with the Transporter, and sonically, I thought that it was a very nice sounding piece of gear. Most will feel it does not need an external DAC, as its own internal DAC sounds outstanding.

Using the PC as a direct transport can also be very successful if done with the right approach and hardware, and the Lynx card you mentioned not only has excellent digital out, but also has exceptionally good analog out as well - so good that you might not want to use an external DAC with it either.

Of course, so much ends up riding on the software choice for the interface. In this regard, the Transporter/SqueezeCenter software combo wins hands-down so far, in my opinion. Very easy to use, and simple to configure.

However, I am very interested in this new Bryston DAC. I suspect it will be the best sounding piece out of all these, expecially when fed from a nice clean S/PDIF source. Very likely in my opinion, that the Transporter/Bryston-DAC combo will be the best sound yet.

Tolstoi

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jul 2008, 09:05 pm »
In this regard, the Transporter/SqueezeCenter software combo wins hands-down so far, in my opinion. Very easy to use, and simple to configure.

However, I am very interested in this new Bryston DAC. I suspect it will be the best sounding piece out of all these, expecially when fed from a nice clean S/PDIF source. Very likely in my opinion, that the Transporter/Bryston-DAC combo will be the best sound yet.

It is an expensive combo but this is the only solution currently available that provide Hi Rez audio in a simple and easy to use solution.  Adding a full PC (including the monitor) or laptop in my leaving room is far from being a preferred option.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jul 2008, 09:10 pm »
In this regard, the Transporter/SqueezeCenter software combo wins hands-down so far, in my opinion. Very easy to use, and simple to configure.

It is an expensive combo but this is the only solution currently available that provide Hi Rez audio in a simple and easy to use solution.  Adding a full PC (including the monitor) or laptop in my leaving room is far from being a preferred option.

Tell me if I am wrong here but the Transporter is limited to 44.1/16 bit -so it is NOT HI-Res?

james

KeithA

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jul 2008, 09:18 pm »

Tell me if I am wrong here but the Transporter is limited to 44.1/16 bit -so it is NOT HI-Res?

james

James

I think the Transporter supports 44.1/48/96k and 24 bit...........

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 15 Jul 2008, 09:29 pm »

james

James

Keith

Hi Keith,

Your right - got this off the website -
Sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz
Audio format: linear PCM, 16 or 24 bits per sample

james

KeithA

« Reply #25 on: 16 Jul 2008, 11:00 am »

james

James

Keith

Hi Keith,

Your right - got this off the website -
Sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz
Audio format: linear PCM, 16 or 24 bits per sample

james

Yeah, I was actually going to get a Transporter. However, all of the music I would be listening to was to be ripped to a hard drive from CDs at this point, so I went for a Squeezebox first and now a Duet since I only needed 44.1 and those units are relatively cheap.

And with the Transporter I would be paying $$ for a DAC I wouldn't want/need.

Keith
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2008, 12:47 pm by KeithA »

Tolstoi

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jul 2008, 01:38 pm »
Yeah, I was actually going to get a Transporter. However, all of the music I would be listening to was to be ripped to a hard drive from CDs at this point, so I went for a Squeezebox first and now a Duet since I only needed 44.1 and those units are relatively cheap.

And with the Transporter I would be paying $$ for a DAC I wouldn't want/need.

Keith

We need a super squeezebox that support at least 96/24.

niels

« Reply #27 on: 16 Jul 2008, 10:00 pm »
Can you really hear the difference between the same album mastered in 24/44.1 vs 24/96?
What matters most is the sound on the recording.

muski

« Reply #28 on: 17 Jul 2008, 04:44 am »

I have a Transporter and a Bryston BP26DA.  I think both DACs are outstanding.  However, after lots of side-by-side listening, I prefer using the Transporter's internal DAC (ie, feeding it balanced, rather than by digital coax into the BP26DA).  Of course, the standalone Bryston DAC could be a different story.

muski

denjo

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jul 2008, 04:54 am »
... However, after lots of side-by-side listening, I prefer using the Transporter's internal DAC (ie, feeding it balanced, rather than by digital coax into the BP26DA)...

muski

Hi Muski
Interesting observation! What would you say are the main differences between the two and what quality/ies made you feel the Transporter's internal DAC was preferred?

Many thanks for sharing,

Best regards
Dennis

muski

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jul 2008, 05:26 am »
I could definitely consistently discern a wider soundstage from the Transporter's DAC than the Bryston.  Pretty subtle, but enough to get me to leave the input selector on BAL2 rather than DAC...

I should also add that I did these listening tests were done with my pre-upgraded BP25DA/MPS-1.

Wondering if anyone else has a similar setup and has noticed anything.

muski

denjo

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2008, 06:33 am »
... these listening tests were done with my pre-upgraded BP25DA/MPS-1.

muski

Muski
Did you mean BP26DA rather than BP25DA?
Best regards
Dennis

muski

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2008, 03:43 pm »
I did these listening tests when my Bryston preamp was a BP25DA with an MPS-1 power supply.  I recently had it upgraded to a BP-26DA with an MPS-2...