Anyone tried Obbligato caps?

Theo

Anyone tried Obbligato caps?
« on: 8 Jul 2008, 06:40 pm »
I'm looking to upgrade the caps in my Cornet2.  I found these Obbligato caps from http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_ob_caps.htm.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  They are priced lower than the typical brand name caps. Are they any good or would I be wasting my money?

Thanks.

Bill Epstein

Re: Anyone tried Obbligato caps?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2008, 09:43 pm »
I have the standard Obbligatos as couplers and the oils as outputs in my ARC LS-1. The oils are also at work as parafeed caps in my 45 amp. Having switched a few around in those components I can say the standard don't really have a sound and the oilers have strong bass.

My LS-1, after the re-capping, is very neutral tonally, dynamic and the soundstage, when appropriate, wall-to-wall. Now I'm wondering why I went with Kimbers in the Cornet? :duh:

Theo

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2008, 09:59 pm »
If you would recap the Cornet, what would you use?  I'm looking at Obbligato for lower cost alternative to the Auricap as recommended by JH.

Bill Epstein

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2008, 12:19 am »
I'd go with the film and foil Obbligatos, no problem.

Brinkman

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2008, 04:20 am »
For what it's worth, cap rollers almost consistently state the Obbligatos are a low-cost sound-alike to mundorf supremes. While I am anxious to use the Obbligatos I have purchased, I am not too interested in cap-rolling (re: frequent desoldering), so I have opted to use mundorfs instead. Pretty stupid of me, really, to waste that money, though it's really not that much.
I think the hype behind "cap sound" and the fact that a small few folks have been less impressed with Obbligatos has kinda made me rethink looking for a cheap alternative to the more tried-and-true, which unfortunately means expensive name-brand caps (then again, a small few folks don't like Mundorfs either). So maybe Obbligatos are just as good, and there's just too many stubborn and unadventurous builders like myself. Or maybe it's like believing in magic.
That said, I obtained and used some Multicap RTXs in my tweeter crossovers, coupled with new tweeter inductors and replacement tweeter diaphragms, and was really impressed. Though I obviously cannot attribute any improvement to one single tweak, I'd say stick to what the engineers and the audiophiles say is an improvement on your average cap.
Cap rolling is hardly ever subject to double-blind studies. All components and the compenents inside them are system-dependant, so without controlled studies, we need to look for mutual corroboration between those who listen closely as well as those who are willing to listen and measure.
The film-and-foil construction of the obbligatos meets the engineering criteria. The rest is up to you.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2008, 03:13 pm »
FWIW I have the Obbligato's in the output of my modded Squeezebox and in my Cornet. They replaced Sonicaps in the Squeezebox and AuriCaps in the Cornet and in both cases I like them better. A friend replaced Jensen PIO's with the Obbligato's in his Cornet and prefers the Obbligato caps.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2008, 03:27 pm »
I replaced the standard output caps in my Mhdt Constantine with the Obbligato copper cased film caps and experienced an increase in sound quality. However, I also changed from 1.5uf to 2.2uf.

I had a similar experience when I replaced the stock input caps in my Trends 10.1 amp with the oil Obbligatos. In this case I didn't increase the cap capacity.

-Roy

ohenry

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2008, 03:29 pm »
FWIW I have the Obbligato's in the output of my modded Squeezebox and in my Cornet. They replaced Sonicaps in the Squeezebox and AuriCaps in the Cornet and in both cases I like them better. A friend replaced Jensen PIO's with the Obbligato's in his Cornet and prefers the Obbligato caps.

Hi,
I'm assuming that you were referring to the film and foil version.  Is that correct?  :)