Getting Started

joshschor

Getting Started
« on: 7 Jul 2008, 06:30 pm »
I am buying a Mac Book and want to set up a computer based audio system.  I want the best sound possible.  I am not a computer geek, so easy as possible is important.  Can anyone give me some sound advice on how to proceed and what I will need?  My current system consists of Trends, Eico HF-81 and a custom amp; all are integrated amps and have been modified.  Thanks for any help from those that have gone before.
Josh

Crimson

Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2008, 10:13 pm »
Hello and welcome!

Software:
Your best bet may be iTunes. Make sure Error Correction is enabled in Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing, and then import your CD's as Apple Lossless (compressed lossless files) or AIFF (uncompressed lossless files). Keep the volume slider in iTunes at maximum and use the volume knob on your integrated. There are alternatives in terms of playback software (which can be found in this sticky thread), but iTunes is great for the novice and seasoned user alike.

Hardware:
Your options here are plentiful. You can utilize a USB, Firewire, or TOSLINK dac; stream via ethernet or wifi to an Airport Express, Apple TV, Squeezebox, or Roku to the dac of your choice; utilize any existing dac by inserting a USB-SPDIF converter between it and your Macbook.

Backup:
Very important. The thread referenced above also contains suggestions for popular backup applications. Hard drives do fail and you'll have a miserable time having to rerip your entire library.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Good luck!

joshschor

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2008, 01:51 pm »
Thanks Crimson,
I understand the settings on the Mac make a huge difference so this is helpful, if you have more I would appreciate them.  What external device to use?  There are so many to choose from, usb vs. firewire , there is a lot to choose from.  Has anyone compared the Olive Musica moddied with a Mac expernal dac set up?  This may be more cost effective if it sounds as good.
best,
Josh

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2008, 02:48 pm »
Choosing an external dac and type of connection will depend on your tastes, budget, etc. More and more 'audiophile'-grade USB dacs are showing up (Wavelength, UltraFi, Scott Nixon, Empirical, Red Wine, etc). Firewire is typically used with pro gear (M-Audio etc). And, as mentioned above, a cost-effective solution would be to use your current dac (if you have one) with a USB-SPDIF converter (Hagerman, Trends, etc), or via ethernet or wifi (AEx, Squeezebox, etc).

Regarding settings, as long as you are listening to 16/44.1 there are no additional tweaks required. If you plan on listening to higher resolution files (and your dac supports it) you'll have to set the higher bit and sample rates in AudioMidi so that they are passed untouched from iTunes.