Another pair of speakers to sell ...

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Another pair of speakers to sell ...
« on: 7 Jul 2008, 05:50 pm »
I'm hoping somebody in the area will be interested in these ... please don't make me ship em  :cry:

They're a MTM using the Dayton RS180 7" woofers and Dayton RS28a tweeter.  Cabinets are Parts Express 1 cu/ft MTM cabs, gloss black.  That's the basics, the details are what make them worth buying however.  Some of you might remember me bitching about these speakers 18 months ago or so, well I've been messing with them every couple months since, taking more measurements and making small changes here and there ... trying to find something enjoyable.  It's taken a long time, the woofers are difficult to work with, they can take on a nasty forward character.  But I think I'm there now, and with nothing more to tweak why not sell them - I need the space for other projects!

After all my changes they're now an enjoyable speaker, the revealing nature is still there but the mids don't come forward anymore, and they're much more tolerant of bad recordings.  The tweeter has always been a joy, it doesn't have much 'air' but it is delicate, detailed, and accurate.  To get that you might think I had to build in some sort of BBC dip, but I didn't ... they still meausre pretty much flat, phase integration is excellent considering the high rolloffs used, and they'll handle a ton of power. 

In the crossover I've used nothing but high-end components, mostly ClarityCap SA and PX caps with a carefully chosen bypass cap or two, 15ga inductors on the woofers, and mills resistors.  I also used hurricane nuts to mount the woofers, loaded the inside of the cabs with damping material, and used teflon/silver wiring inside.  All that stuff adds up, I'd hate to know exactly what I've spent considering what I'm going to ask for them.

Right now they're not ported, but I have the ports and can put them in if a buyer wishes.  Sealed you get more power handling and better group delay, if you're planning to use a sub keep 'em sealed.  With ports they'll have an f3 of about 40hz, low 30's in room if not lower, and will certainly be acceptable without a sub.  Also one of the baffles was a bit chewed up, so I have a brand new one I'm cutting right now ... they'll look near perfect for a buyer.  Also if you'd like a custom color on the baffle I can do that - I practiced on the bad baffle, sanded it down and sprayed it with a metallic gloss silver and it looks pretty sweet.  But I could do any color, or leave them black. 

All this for the asking price of $550.  I'm not sure what you could get better for that price, and I'll deliver to a local buyer.  PM me with any questions. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Another pair of speakers to sell ...
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2008, 08:40 pm »
BTW, I'm using Multicap PPFXS bypass caps on the tweet circuit and AudioCap Theta bypass on the woofer circuit.  Those were chosen carefully, the tweeter behaves well and the speed/clarity of the MultiCap does only good, no harm.  The woofers on the other hand need a touch of warmth and lushness, the AudioCap Theta has always been my favorite warm cap ... and pairs perfectly here as well.