A/V Receiver as a Pre-Pro

vektro

« on: 3 Nov 2003, 05:14 am »
I'm putting together a HT/music system. Looking for suggestions on receivers to use as a pre-pro for HT, also, want descent 2 channel for music. I'd like to have Pro-LogicII, component switching, and phono. Amp section doesn't matter too much, won't be using it, at least initially. System so far: RBH 1044se l/r, RBH 441se center and rears, RBH 1044sep powered sub, Odyssey Extreme Monoblocks, and HT 3 with cap upgrade on the way. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
vektro

W.C.

« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2003, 06:36 am »
How much do you want to spend? Does new or used matter?

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2003, 11:03 am »
i use a yamaha rxv1 for a pre-pro, and use odyssey extreme monos for my mains.
if you dont want to spend alot for the pre-pro, get a cheap reciever with outs and try a odyssey pre-amp with ht bypass , this way you get the best 2 channel.

vektro

A/V Receiver as Pre-Pro
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2003, 01:27 pm »
Used doesn't matter. Would like to stay in the $500 range if possible. Again, looking mainly for processor with good pre-amp. I can upgrade pre-amp later if needed. I would like to use my turntable Denon MC.
Just can't afford to go with Tempest and a seperate HT processor right now. Trying to get the best of both worlds in one box.

vektro

A/V receeiver as Pre-Pro
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2003, 01:32 pm »
Maybe the Etesian and a receiver with Pro-Logic II and phono.

W.C.

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2003, 05:59 am »
This is going to be kind of tough. $500. isn't going to buy you a processor that has a really good preamp section. I used to have a Yamaha DSP-A1 and it was great for H/T but for music, you could hear it get congested when you turn the volume up. My first thought on this was look for a used Citation 7.0 They sell for about that price and have a first class preamp section, very musical and 6 axis which was an early version of dolby pro-logic II, which I've read where some people preferred it to the newest version. Only one problem, no phono.

byteme

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2003, 05:08 pm »
If it were me I'd take the prior advice, buy a CHEAP receiver that covers your bases, I mean like $350 cheap.  Try www.accessories4less.com - they have great deals on refurbed Marantz receivers or a refurbed Onkyo from Onecall.  Use it only for a pre/pro or perhaps for powering surrounds.  Then pick up a decent used or new preamp.  I don't think you'll be truely happy with 2 channel any other way unless you'd spend big dollars on a pre/pro that can do 2 channel well.

This is the way I've got things running;  Denon 3802 for a pre/pro and powering rear surrounds, Philly Audio Blues preamp, Odyssey Stratos stereo extreme powering the mains and a Sherwood Newcastle powering the center, side surrounds and Zone two speakers.  The Philly doens't have pass through, but I just calibrated everything and made a mark with tape on the Philly where the volume should be set for MOVIES!!!

Works great and I've got the best of both worlds!!

vektro

A/V receiver as pre-pro
« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2003, 07:34 am »
Thanks for all the good advise. I've been thinking about a Marantz receiver. SR-6200. I also kind of forgot about an old Carver ct-3 pre-amp I have laying around. It does have phono input. May use that for music, with the Marantz for HT. Marantz may sound better for music as well. We'll see what works best. Later, when someone gives me a $1000, I'll look into the Tempest. Could be a little while till that happens. This set-up should get me by.
Thanks for all the responses.
Vektro

vektro

A/V receiver as a Pre/Pro
« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2003, 04:03 am »
Well, I finally decided. Found a killer deal on a Denon 3803 at 6th Ave. electonics. They were out of the 3802, and were replacing it with the 3803 for the same price! $648.06 with shipping!! :o  :D Too good too pass up. There is a thread in receiver setion on hometheaterforum. Don't know if the deal is still available or not.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2003, 09:45 pm »
dunno about 2 channel those HT receivers - I just tried out an Outlaw 950 P7.1 Pre/processor ($800) against my DIY Bottlehead Foreplay dedicated audio preamp, and, well, I'm sure glad i am not trying to listen to music with this multichannel processor thing. It sounded worse than my 10 year old Yamaha C85 which I got a while ago on ebay for $150

In my workd, there's going to be a music system, and then there's that entertainment thing, if I ever get around to it. I do realize some folks need to compromise becaue of space limitations of the infamous WAF

Peter

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2003, 09:49 pm »
The Denon should do fine as a prepro; for music in stereo use pure direct mode (and try out the ALPHA 24 feature & see how it sounds).