A/V receiver used mainly as pre/pro

vektro

« on: 3 Nov 2003, 05:04 am »
I'm putting together a HT/ Music system. I have external amps. Just need a pre-pro. Receivers have all the latest features and are much cheaper than the processors I have seen. I wan't Pro-LogicII , component switching, and phono. Again , really focusing on pre-amp, not amps in this receiver choice. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
vektro

Standeman

« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2003, 05:35 am »
I own a Yamaha AZ1 and use external amps. Basically any receiver or AV amp will give you what you want in terms of processing quality (except probably the phono stage but that can be added with an outboard solution). However the preamplification varies tremendously.

I am happy with the Yamaha solution as the extra front effect channels help "lift" the aural centre to better integrate the sound with a 3m wide ceiling mounted motorised projection screen and the AZ1 pre amp implementation is as good as you are probably going to get in an integrated package at this price point. However, most of the DSP programs I don't use and obviously if I could've had a high quality pre/processor without the inbuilt amps I could have saved some $$$$$.

RussKon

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2003, 11:37 pm »
i use a pioneer elite vsx-55txi as a processor....

it provides a great sound and alot more features for the money than anything available as a separate processor.... (including a phono input)...

it lists for $1700, but you can usually get it for under $1500....

i have the pre-outs hooked up to a carver professional ZR1000 amplifier for the mains and two Electrovoice 7100 amps for the surrounds and center (one is bridged for the center).....

Mark Rich

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2003, 12:52 am »
I've alwasy used a denon receiver as a pre/pro matched with Rotel amps. Great combo for ht.

vektro

Receiver as Pre/pro
« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:29 am »
Thanks for all the great advice. Kind of looking a Denon or the Sony recievers.