Super 5's arrived!

JimP

Super 5's arrived!
« on: 5 Jul 2008, 11:38 am »
Probably not many of these in the wild, but I just took delivery of a pair of Super 5's and matching Deep Hemp Cube.  I've just had them for a day, hastily set up with some impromptu shelves as speaker stands for now.  Haven't had time to unpack the Cube sub yet.  Running it from an Almarro integrated amp (4.5 wpc) with Apogee miniDAC as source, too early to comment on sound, but it sounds very promising - much bigger sound than anticipated from these small single drivers.  Bad photo, but it's birdseye maple front/back, and mahogany burl sides/top.  Ports to outside.  BTW fantastic customer service by Louis to work with me to get these all the way out to Hong Kong.  Extremely pleased with this purchase.

JimP

Re: Super 5's arrived!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2008, 02:39 pm »
OK got the Deep Hemp Cube sub set up as well.  Fit and finish on the sub is equally impressive.  It'll take me awhile to dial everything in and burn in the drivers a bit.

One dumb question: manual says "recommended that the phase switch be in Reverse mode for monopole speakers".  Uh...is Super 5 considered a monopole speakers, ie should I run the sub phase switch set at Reverse?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2008, 03:10 pm »

One dumb question: manual says "recommended that the phase switch be in Reverse mode for monopole speakers".  Uh...is Super 5 considered a monopole speakers, ie should I run the sub phase switch set at Reverse?

Yes,
No harm in trying it both ways.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2008, 05:03 pm »
Congrats! They look beautiful. Be patient with the burn in, play them loud with bassy music for a lot of hours, and play around a lot with placement to get them sounding perfect.

S5s are monopole, they only radiate sound in one direction, out from they front of the cone.

As above, try both with some bassy music, you won't know for sure which gives more output till you try in your room.

Not sure why Louis says to run the deep cube in reverse phase but would like to, he knows his stuff!

JimP

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2008, 02:23 pm »
No harm in trying it both ways.

yup, Reverse mode provides more substantive bass...

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2008, 10:55 pm »
Hi Jim,

Great news and it was a pleasure working with you. The break in is big and you can do it either way. I like using music and stevenkelby is right on with his post. The sub in my room always works out better in reverse. I would experiment though. Definitely get a set of speaker cables so you can wire the sub with the high level inputs.

Thanks again,
Louis

TaiPan

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2008, 12:18 am »
Hi Jim,

Your Super5's look super fine :drool:!

Don't think you can hide from me  :nono: . . . I recognize your special edition "Barney the Dinosaur" Almarro from over on HeadFi  :lol:.  Yes, yes it is true, GarryH (over @ HeadFi) & Taipan are one and the same but are never seen together - sort of like Bruce Wayne & Batman.

In my opinion, the Super5 & cube should work beautifully with the Almarro.  Very interested in your impressions and hope you enjoy your kit.

Cheers,
Garry

mca

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2008, 12:39 am »
A purple Almarro, looks cool  :thumb:

JimP

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2008, 01:44 pm »
Hi TaiPan, yup that's me and my Almarro in HK.   I've really warmed to the concept of single driver speakers and SET amps (technically A205AmkII is pentode, so SEP), better yet I like the reality of what I'm hearing from Super 5 + Cube Hemp + Almarro.  I'm not sure if it's fully broken in as my schedule lately has been hectic.  Also I'm somewhat new to full speakers so don't have a lot of reference.  I anticipated this combo to be great with jazz/classical but I was surprised that it handles rock/electric blues very well (my room is roughly 13' by 13').  I could not be more pleased with this purchase.  To put this in context, there is a massive audio show this weekend at the Hong Kong Convention Center, of course I stopped by.  There are some serious equipment ($$$$) demonstrated - brands I've never heard of - eg amps bigger than my coffee table, speakers bigger than my closet, etc.  I sat through some of the demonstrations - yes, quite impressive (should be for that kind of money) - but honestly I truly enjoy what the Omega/Almarro is delivering at home.  The only thing I covet (not anytime soon, but maybe in the future) is the Alinco SuperHemps, but I don't see the Super 5's leaving anytime soon.

Jim

TaiPan

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2008, 04:37 pm »
Hi Jim,

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your new kit.

Wanted to head over to the show as well, but my schedule has been a bit busy of late.  Having heard most of the kit at the show in one form or another, there is, no doubt, certainly some amazing equipment to behold.  Knowing this, IMO, I should think your setup would be tough to beat even by the likes of some of that uber kit.

Like you, I too have recently come around to the FRD / SET scene, having purchased Zu Tones and Micropure Kotaros (w/ 4" drivers) within the last year.  The Kotaros are paired with Triode Corp 300B monos (20W paralleled SETs) and a REL sub and it's pure magic.  Aside from the quickness, coherence, and intimacy; to me, the most startling thing is the sheer amount of sound that comes out of such a relatively small driver - hard to believe until you hear it for yourself.

Cheers,
Garry