The last chapter of the Matrix on Weds

ehider

« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2003, 12:27 am »
Personally, I am sooooo disappointed with the last Matrix movie that I don't know where to begin! The first Matrix movie set in motion so many unique ideas and potential outcomes that to finish the series with an "over the top" simplistic battle sequence seems completely out of touch with what made the first movie so great (IMHO of course).

As others have pointed out in their posts, this third Matrix "conclusion" movie had allot of nonsensical babble that just doesn't answer any of the deep questions that the original movie set in motion!

Of course there was an unbelievable amount of "over the top" special effects, and they were as good as anything Hollywood has ever produced! There was so much action that I became completely numb after a while. It was almost as if I couldn't seriously appreciate each action sequence due to the duration of each action scene though. Unfortunately these are the only positive things I can say about this movie!

In a nutshell, this movie had much more potential to be a very profound conclusion to the multilayered questions it initially produced (in the first film). Instead it was more of a simplistic battle of "us versus them" with two different fronts of attack (Zion versus the machines and Neo versus the machines).

There's not really much else to really grasp from this film with it's  waaaaaaaaay overdrawn battle ending between Neo and Smith and open ending! Perhaps I need a better grasp of things like "string theory" and "eastern philosophy" to understand the brilliance of this film? Then again, why do so many viewers having the same exact gripes about this film as I do?

drcruz

One question, what are the terms of the peace agreement?
« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2003, 06:59 pm »
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Neo lived???  Where does it say that Neo lived???

I liked Revolutions, it's like a live action anime movie. It seems to have the same philosophical (sp?) weirdness .  To me...

Neo's purpose was never to save the human batteries.  The Machines are too powerful to defeat.  Neo's purpose was to save Zion from the machines.

The Architect is the cold logical facts and data only matter personality, he says the equation must remain balanced for the Matrix to survive.  The Matrix must survive to maintain the machines power source (the human batteries).
The Orcle is the touchy feely one who does what is right and tries to correct wrongs.  These 2 together balance each other out.

Why does the Orcle get involved with the Humans???  She knows that the Machines want to destrory Zion and the Humans, she thinks this is wrong.  She encourages the humans (Morpheous) to find "The One" (the good guy) to save humanity.  The finding of The One embalances the Matrix equation which results in the creation of the uncontrollable Mr. Smith (the evil guy).  The problem with the Evil Mr. Smith is he is suppose to be powerful enough to destroy both humans and the machine world.  So Neo negotiates a truce with the machines to stop the attack on Zion, in return Neo must destroy Mr. Smith.  When Mr. Smith absorbs Neo the Good and Evil cancel each other out and Mr. Smith desintegrates and dies.  But I thought Neo died also, because he gets canceled out...hmmm.

Questions: (I definitely need to watch the entire series again)

What are the terms of the peace agreement between the Machines and Zion???

How did the Machines find Zion???

How could Mr. Smith destroy the machine world???

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2003, 07:29 pm »
Well thanks for ruining the movie for us! Please don't say anything when Whorton Hears a Who comes out.

drcruz

« Reply #23 on: 14 Nov 2003, 07:34 pm »
OOPS, Sorry...

I forgot to do the "POSSIBLE SPOILERS" warning thingy.  I'll fix it now.   :oops:

taketwo

Re: One question, what are the terms of the peace agreement?
« Reply #24 on: 14 Nov 2003, 11:43 pm »
Quote from: drcruz
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I think the Matrix controls both the "human" world as well as the machine world. Think of it as one gigantic mainframe.

Well that's how I read it anyway...

PhilNYC

Re: One question, what are the terms of the peace agreement?
« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2003, 11:48 pm »
Quote from: taketwo
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I think the Matrix controls both the "human" world as well as the machine world. Think of it as one gigantic mainframe.

Well that's how I read it anyway...

My interpretation was that the mainframe that runs the Matrix is also the computer that controls all the machines.  So if Mr. Smith takes over the mainframe, he takes over everything...

drcruz

« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2003, 01:17 am »
I like it.  :)

If Mr. Smith controls the computer (mainframe) he controls the machines.

PhilNYC

****Spoilers****
« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2003, 01:24 am »
I like it.  :)

Thanks!  And regarding how the machines found Zion, remember in the second movie when one of the "programs" downloaded into that human?  (in this movie, it was the guy who blinded Neo).  I think that guy somehow told the machines where he was....

Timmargh

Re: ****Spoilers****
« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2003, 03:36 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
... remember in the second movie when one of the "programs" downloaded into that human?  (in this movie, it was the guy who blinded Neo).  I think that guy somehow told the machines where he was....

That was Smith in Bane's body, wasn't it? When Neo was blinded and was stumbling around (just before he took Bane's head off) Neo saw him as Smith, albeit in that fiery-vision kind of way. Neo: "That's impossible!" Smith/Bane: "Not impossible - inevitable."

And, surely the machine's could find Zion by following the tunnels and exploring ever dead end and, when they'd made a note of where it was, simply drilled down from directly above?

Dozer

« Reply #29 on: 24 Nov 2003, 11:56 pm »
Why can't Neo just tell the machines to build themselves super-tall, over the clouds and stuff, so they can use solar power again?   duh.

The Matrix should have stayed a single...   the only purpose of #2 and #3 was to give philosophy students a context for showing off.

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #30 on: 25 Nov 2003, 01:27 am »
Dozer,
Agreed.

Actually they're fans of a famous Princeton philosophy professor.  They put him in the movie as one of the members of the council.

Some of the people on the internet posited theories of how the 3rd chapter would go in a MUCH MORE interesting manner than what was filmed.

A shame that th eseries couldn't live up to the first movie.   :roll:

bubba966

« Reply #31 on: 2 Apr 2004, 05:24 am »
I was disappointed in Revolutions enough to only watch it the once. I'd planned on seeing it at least once in IMAX along with the regular theater presentation. But after I saw it the once in 35MM, I wasn't motivated enough to make the effort to see it in IMAX.

I will watch it again in it's entirety tomorrow night.

Watched a couple of scenes when I got home tonight to see how the transfer & such ended up. The DVD has a decent transfer. But I do wish it was a bit sharper than it is. I guess that one of two things are to blame for the slightly soft transfer. One is that they had to do that to mask the CGI & other SFX (ala Minority Report). The other being that they didn't feel like spending the $ to do it in the best way possible.

I do wonder if any of you will be bothered by the transfer. I know I'm a little too picky about such things. And stuff that bothers me isn't even noticed by most people. And I'm more than a bit curious to know if any of the rest of you have any issues with the DVD in terms of either audio or video quality...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 2 Apr 2004, 06:32 am »
I imagine I'll be buying it on Tues.  So far I haven't heard much good about it, but I have the first two...

I'd have to say the second was my favorite of the first two.  My expectations of the 3rd one are low enough that I doubt I'll be disappointed.