I have WAY too many of these in stock.

Kevin Haskins

I have WAY too many of these in stock.
« on: 1 Jul 2008, 09:38 pm »
Need to move these and make room for other product.   I'm blowing them out at very near cost ($50) just to make space.   For anyone in need of dual +/- 30V (10.5A), +/- 13V (1A),  0-16V (500mA) with 115/230V primaries this is a great deal.   I don't think you could get them manufactured for anywhere near this price due to the increase in the price of copper & steel.   

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=140_141&products_id=598

Kevin Haskins

Re: I have WAY too many of these in stock.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2008, 09:55 pm »
Same with these, way too many in stock. 

Dual 60V secondaries and otherwise the same.   $50 each!

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=140_141&products_id=596

Syrah

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2008, 06:32 pm »
Could I wire the 60v as a 240V balanced (in) 120V balanced (out)?  Do they have an electrostatic shield?

Thanks!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2008, 07:05 pm »
Could I wire the 60v as a 240V balanced (in) 120V balanced (out)?  Do they have an electrostatic shield?

Thanks!

YES.... they would work great as balanced power transformer.   There is an electrostatic shield between primaries and secondaries and the transformer is also potted and includes mounting hardware.   

Brandon B

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2008, 12:39 am »
Good deal.  I have ordered one for just that purpose.

BB

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2008, 01:28 am »

BB

I may make a quad for myself before selling them out.    All I need is to order some rear-panels for my monoblock chassis and they will make great little balanced power units.   

EDS_

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2008, 03:09 am »

BB

I may make a quad for myself before selling them out.    All I need is to order some rear-panels for my monoblock chassis and they will make great little balanced power units.   

Would you tell me how to do that? 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2008, 04:54 pm »
Let me whip up a quick rear-panel for my monoblock chassis.    I'll have to FrontPanel Express them and they will cost as much as the transformer but the results will look professional.   

The transformer wiring is simple.   You wire it for 115V operation on the primary side and on the secondaries you get +60V --- -60V.    You run the +60V to the hot side of an outlet, the -60V to the neutral.   Whoola!   Balanced power.   

You would want to ground the outlet via the center tap of the transformer.   The AC input ground would go to chassis and the electrostatic shield of the transformer would be grounded to chassis.   The AC input would be wired through a typical 15A IEC with a fuse, and the power switch on the front panel.   I wouldn't bother with RFI filters because you should have enough isolation across the transformer with the electrostatic shield.   

EDS_

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2008, 02:04 am »
Let me whip up a quick rear-panel for my monoblock chassis.    I'll have to FrontPanel Express them and they will cost as much as the transformer but the results will look professional.   

The transformer wiring is simple.   You wire it for 115V operation on the primary side and on the secondaries you get +60V --- -60V.    You run the +60V to the hot side of an outlet, the -60V to the neutral.   Whoola!   Balanced power.   

You would want to ground the outlet via the center tap of the transformer.   The AC input ground would go to chassis and the electrostatic shield of the transformer would be grounded to chassis.   The AC input would be wired through a typical 15A IEC with a fuse, and the power switch on the front panel.   I wouldn't bother with RFI filters because you should have enough isolation across the transformer with the electrostatic shield.   

I'm out of the country for seven or eight days.  I'll contact you when I get back - can you post or PM a ballpark cost? I'll be able to check AC on Tuesday of next week Wednesday worst.  Your idea seems like a great plan.

Brandon B

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2008, 11:31 pm »
I wouldn't bother with RFI filters because you should have enough isolation across the transformer with the electrostatic shield.   

I built a BIG unit for my HT a while back with a plitron, and I did go ahead with some filters like this one:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Ntt=693-5500.2042

Maybe necessary, maybe not, depends on the power in your house and what things like refrigerators, etc. you have.  But my system has an absolutely dead silent noise floor at any volume and ears right against the speakers.

The weird part is our toaster (which has an electronic control SCR chopping type dimmer built into it) makes the plitron itself emit a physical buzzing, but nothing comes through the audio chain.

BB

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2008, 12:20 am »
That is because it creates a DC offset on the AC line.   If you get 500mV or so you can mechanically get the transformer humming.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Balanced Power Conditioner using Exodus transformers
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2008, 07:15 pm »
Here's my implementation of a balanced power conditioner based on two of the Exodus 60V transformers.  I already had the box and outlets put together from a power conditioner project that I abandoned a few years ago.  So dropping the transformers in and wiring them up was pretty simple.  IEC > GFCI > Transformer > Outlet.  Inside the box you can see a corcom filter that I decided not to hook up.

Front Panel

The black AC outlets make it hard to see the front panel, but there are four AC outlets wired to each transformer, a GFCI in the center, and and IEC jack below the GFCI.

Inside

I plugged all my gear into it except power amps, digital gear into one transformer and analog gear into the other. Very nice improvement to the system.  Removed some glare and grunge, lowered the noise floor, brought out more low level detail, improved soundstage width and depth. 

My one reservation is that since my line voltage runs pretty consistently around 124VAC, I'm getting nearly 135VAC out of the BP transformers.  Everything I've plugged into it has worked fine at that voltage, though a couple of the regulated linear power supplies I built are running a little warmer than usual.  I'm not plugging any megabuck gear into this so I'm not too worried about it.

So far I'm quite pleased with the results.  Thanks Kevin.

Russ