Veracity HT3 Experiencing Different Music

highfilter

Veracity HT3 Experiencing Different Music
« on: 1 Jul 2008, 05:57 am »
Hey HT3 owners,

I am extremely excited about the HT3s and am currently getting all the information on them before I place my order, as I think these are the speakers for me. The only thing that I have not come across is what people think of the HT3s when playing Electronic (Industrial, Techno, Trance, Electro) or other synth-based music?

I remember someone not being very pleased with the sound when playing Rap, Metal etc. and I could kind of see why as a lot of those recordings are just not going to sound like the band is playing right in your room because of how it was recorded and the overall quality of the CD etc. I guess I just want to know how other people find music that is not Classical, Jazz or "live" sounding, as I like all types of music and would maybe like to see what kinds of music you guys have played through on the HT3s.

I know these speakers are meant to be transparent and represent whatever the recording is, but I would just like to hear some opinions on how different types of music come across to them.

Thanks.

Kris

Re: Veracity HT3 Experiencing Different Music
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2008, 06:29 am »
For me, techno-trance music is better served with a sub+sats (or floorstands) , as it lets you tweak the sound to your liking, as this music doesn't have a reference or standard to adhere to. All you need is the wow factor.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2008, 11:11 am »
The HT3's will pound out whatever you throw at them quite energetically.  I've come across some music similar to your tastes lately and they can really crank it out.  You'll enjoy it right up to the point you realize the recording is not so good but that's all you can ask of any speaker I guess.

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2008, 11:28 am »
I did not play any techno or metal through the HT3s, but recordings I found unlistenable were:
1. Edgar Winter, "Entrance". This recording, though maybe not audiophile material, is well recorded and sounds great on my system and many others as well.
2. Paul Butterfield, "East-West". This recording can be etchy on some systems, but sounds fine on my and other systems.
3. Reverend Horton Heat, "Holy Roller". This is not a quality recording but is acceptable on my system, though not on many others I've heard. Acceptable, but not greatly enjoyable.
4. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, "Take Them On, On Your Own". Bad recording. Have yet to hear it sound decent on any system except maybe my truck, but only if I'm drinkin'.  :lol:  :nono:  :oops:

(Edited: Added last statement to number 3 - "Acceptable, but not greatly enjoyable.")
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2008, 12:50 pm by rockadanny »

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2008, 12:25 pm »
The HT3's are extremely revealing. With quality recordings you are rewarded with a marvelous musical experience. If there is anything lacking in the recording you will be aware of it too. I don't really enjoy much of my "jam band" live concerts with the HT3's. My old speakers did a real good job recreating the live experience of that genre, the HT3's do not. On everything else the HT3's blow away my old speakers. Jim has often mentioned that all speakers are a compromise. If you want a warm and forgiving sound presentation, the HT3's are not for you. My HT3 experience has been bittersweet, on so much material, it is truly an amazing listening experience, but there are those  times I really miss enjoying the "jam band" experience.

Wally King

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2008, 01:30 pm »
My experience with the HT3s is that they improve all types of music and all levels of recording quality. Poor recordings still sound better overall than with my previous speakers, which compared to the Salks were lacking in transparency and extension at both frequency extremes.  While highly revealing, the Salks are, at the same time, very smooth and musical.  So, even poorly recorded pop and electronic music can be very listenable and enjoyable despite one's heightened awareness of a particular recording's deficiencies.

My guess is that, in the end, whether you think poor recordings sound better or worse on the HT3s will largely depend on the characteristics of your current speakers.

AliG

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2008, 02:44 pm »
If you find the HT3 too revealing, get an Audio Research CDP/preamp/amp, it will make your system more forgiving and relax.

It is not the fault of HT3 for being revealing - all good speakers should be revealing because they should convey everything truthfully from the source. When building a system from scratch, you really want to start with a good pair of speakers - a speakers that will not be the weakest link in the steup. You can then look for electronics that give you whatever flavor you desire.

These speakers are 120lb each, it's much less of a hassle to swap out preamp/amp than the speakers.

cdorval1

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2008, 06:04 pm »
I listen to dance, trance and electronica from time to time.  Everything I've played on the HT3s sounds, well, amazing.  I really like Moby's "Ambient" album and Benny Benassi and the Biz' "Hypnotica."  Either could be used as an HT3 demo for evenness, frequency reach, bass "punch" and just plain fun.  Both recordings are very well produced.

Craig

highfilter

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2008, 06:08 pm »
I listen to dance, trance and electronica from time to time.  Everything I've played on the HT3s sounds, well, amazing.  I really like Moby's "Ambient" album and Benny Benassi and the Biz' "Hypnotica."  Either could be used as an HT3 demo for evenness, frequency reach, bass "punch" and just plain fun.  Both recordings are very well produced.

Craig

That's great to hear. I bet Benassi would just blow me away. I love listening to highly detailed music and can't see myself being disappointed with the HT3s. Even on poor recordings, I'm sure it will be an improvement over any other speaker I have owned because it represents the actual recording.

On a side note, has anyone used the HT3s when playing video games? Any impressions? I know they are usually used for music and HT, but wondered if anyone has been blown away from any gaming experiences that offer high quality audio, like Metal Gear Solid 4 etc.

Thanks guys for the feedback, I think I am just down to picking out a veneer and color and I'll be set.

funkmonkey

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2008, 04:22 am »
I listened to a large variety of music while I was auditioning, and a fair number of speakers...  The HT3's were the clear winner for me.  Here is a link to my impressions of them.  I made sure to include electronic, rock, Jazz, R&B, male & female vocals, a variety of instrumentation...  They are an exceptional speaker.

AliG

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2008, 05:45 am »
Man oh man.. I really can't see how anyone will be disappointed for spending $5k on a pair of HT3. My opinion is formed after owning the HT3 for over 2 years, and during this period I have never stopped going out auditioning different speakers. And just today I had another eye opener experience - I auditioned a 'dream' system that many people would be dying for, which consists of:
- Sound Lab A-1PX speakers ($18k) driven by
- Ayre MX-R ($17k, Stereophile Product of the Year) preceded by
- Messenger Reference Tube Preamp with Phono stage ($16k) and the TT rig being
- VPI Aries 3 with JMW10.5i arm with upgraded accessories ($7.6k) with Graham Nightingale cartridge ($3.8k).

I left the audition room with a big smile in my face, realizing that I still prefer the sound of my humble system which made up by:
-VPI Aries-3 with JMW10.5i arm with Dynavector 20XH cart ($5.5k)
-Dodd phono stage and Dodd preamp ($3.7k)
-Moscode 401HR ($5k)
-Salk HT3 ($5k)

**Note that all the prices quoted above are manufacturers' MSRP.

The 'dream' system sounded 'BIG', I mean the vocal image is bigger than real life human being, but that's all to it. the overall sound is rather 'noisy' because of lack of room treatment so you get all the 'sound polluton' from the room. My biggest surprised is the Sound Lab Electrostat Speakers sounded rather 'roll-off' and dull, it's just not as 'open' and 'transparent' as I am used to. The Messenger preamp was very quiet, certainly more quiet than my Dodd phono, because when I turned up the volume on the Messenger preamp I can hardly hear any hiss from the speakers, but when I turned up the volume past 2 o'clock on my Dodd I can hear hiss, but that's all to it. I normally don't need to turn up the volume too much on my Dodd, normally my system sounded loud enough with the volume knob at 9 o'clock, even if there're slight hiss I wouldn't hear it once the music starts. :icon_lol:

To be fair, I can't really tell which particular components of that 'dream' system is contributing to the 'unexciting' sound although I think the Sound Lab is the major factor. I don't want to trash Sound Lab, I am sure lots of people would be very pleased with Sound Lab, I consider myself lucky because its sound doesn't appeal to me.

So after all these years, I am still a happy Salk HT3 owner, and I haven't yet hear a system that's making me feeling miserable about my system (except Acapella Speakers driven by Einstein amp/preamp/CD player but that's over $150k and I would rather buy a Ferrari for that kind of money :green:).

Feel free to call me a Salk/Dodd homer, I'm not ashame of admitting that I am one.. :wink:
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2008, 03:50 pm by AliG »

fsimms

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2008, 02:01 pm »
I left the audition room with a big smile in my face, realizing that I still prefer the sound of my humble system

I was with Berry when he heard that system.  Berry's comments are right on target.   I also perfer my humble HT1 system with a Tact 2.2x preamp, Nottingham Horizon turntable, Audio Technica OC9 cartridge, MiniMax Phonostage, McCormack amp and SVS subwoofer.   The only two areas that I thought the expensive system had over mine is that I thought it could play a little louder cleanly and the bass seemed to be a bit better.  The Sound Labs are more efficient and the Ayres have more power.

PS We were there because I bought his turntable but not his cartridge.  Nice turntable. aa

carusoracer

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2008, 02:56 pm »
I was in the same camp as I could not find that sound for all types of music.
 Not anymore, I believe once you have your speakers you will know that they are true to the source, yet musical. Beware of what is upstream as they will reveal many flaws on your system, yet reward them with what you feel is best and in turn the HT3 will reward you.

Take your time with the Veneer and consult with Jim, as the best part is they are AudioCandy to the eye aa