20a line question...convert or separate

JoshK

Re: 20a line question...convert or separate
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2008, 04:17 pm »
If the source impedance was truly zero, noisey equipment on one line couldn't modulate the neutral & ground wires, so having your audio equipment on another line, would truly isolate the noisey eq from the audio eq, even though the neutral and ground are tied to the same block at the breaker box (how's that for a run-on).  The problem is the source impedance is never zero.  However, even if source Z was zero, the length of wire run for a line has resistance which is in series with the source Z, so the source impedance is now higher for the line.  To make matters worse, the source Z is now a function of length or in other words, where in the line the equipment the eq is located makes a difference to the source Z.

How much this resistance adds to the problem, I don't know.  It could be relatively negligible.  Unfortunately, I could see where the problem would differ from location to location.  If the breaker box Z has a meaningfully positive source Z then I could see why the isolation through dedicated lines would have very little overall impact on tackingly the bigger issue.  However, in this case I would think the component interaction would be even worse.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2008, 06:15 pm »
JB,
Me, a DIY'er??   :lol: :lol:  Clearly not; the terms "dumbed down" should have been a give away!  I asked the question here cuz it had other electrical-related questions.  Most of the responders don't seem to have an issue with my electrical ignorance.  You do!  Please get over it; it seems not to sit well with you, and obviously doesn't accomplish any knowledge transfer that you might have wanted to impart.  On these types of forums we tend to be attracted to honey rather than vinegar.  Thanks.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2008, 06:39 pm »

I am no longer an audiophile because I now think for myself.,,,,,,,,,,,,,  If that’s the case, I don’t belong here.

I've asked that same question about your presence here myself. :lol:  Frankly i don't have a clue as to why you'd want to waste your time here at Audiocircle & in this thread unless it's only to criticize and to stir up the bees nest cuz it's surely not to help Ted out. :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

Cheers,
Robin

Telstar

« Reply #23 on: 26 Dec 2008, 02:19 pm »
JB, if you are still around, i sent you a pm (no email was available).

Syrah

« Reply #24 on: 26 Dec 2008, 03:21 pm »
I have a similar conundrum to Ted. 

My audio room backs on to my panel, so running short lines to the panel is no problem for an electrician to do.  My conundrum is,

i. pick the lowest noise 120v line and run a dedicated circuit to my audio room; or,
ii. follow the Equitech advice, have an electrician install a 240v plug, and use a step down iso trannie?

If (ii) is best, I was going to order a Signal Transformer trannie, the one used in the Jon Risch recipe.

Thanks.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #25 on: 26 Dec 2008, 04:33 pm »
BTW, I bagged the idea of a 20A line; too costly from my corner of the house.  If I went that route I would have had everything on one 20a anyway...the risks you run in uncovering a new ground loop gremlin by splitting up your audio amongst lines is too much for me.  I keep all my stuff on the same dedicated line, use upgraded outlets (in my case Synergistic Research TeslaPlex's) and love the sound...no hum, no noise, just blackness.

Thanks again for all the help and colorful advice.   :D