Burning in caps while waiting for iMod

green_avanti

Burning in caps while waiting for iMod
« on: 28 Jun 2008, 05:43 pm »
Hi Vinnie, or anyone else who knows..

I've sent a 5.5gen to Vinnie for iMod (hope it's received and all is well), in the meantime I've purchased a portable V-Cap dock and iMod LOD from Ken at ALO (not to use together, if you picked up on that!) .

Can I burn these in while I wait for the iMod, ie plug one or both into a std iPod in lieu of the iMod iPod and run them in.  I'm not concerned about SQ, I won't be listening to them 'til I get the iMod, just don't want to damage anything.

Can you tell me how to burn them in without the iMod?

Kind regards

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Burning in caps while waiting for iMod
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2008, 01:56 am »
Hi Vinnie, or anyone else who knows..

I've sent a 5.5gen to Vinnie for iMod (hope it's received and all is well), in the meantime I've purchased a portable V-Cap dock and iMod LOD from Ken at ALO (not to use together, if you picked up on that!) .

Can I burn these in while I wait for the iMod, ie plug one or both into a std iPod in lieu of the iMod iPod and run them in.  I'm not concerned about SQ, I won't be listening to them 'til I get the iMod, just don't want to damage anything.

Can you tell me how to burn them in without the iMod?

Kind regards

Hi green_avanti,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

Yes, you can burn 'em in with the stock iPod while you are waiting for your iMod.

Best regards,

Vinnie

green_avanti

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2008, 07:48 am »
Vinnie

Thanks for your reply.  This is how I've now been burning in the ALO docks:

Std Gen 5.5 iPod (on repeat) >
ALO female iMod mini dock >
spare mini-mini cable >
ALO portable V-Cap dock >
Senn HD201 (cheapy) headphones.

There is no amp in the circuit, the 'phones are running direcly from line out through the docks.  The phones have a rated impedance of 24ohms and are running loud, say 7/10 volume, but not distorting.

It's just dawned on me (120 hrs later) that this mightn't be sufficient impedance to burn the caps in the timeframe I was hoping for, ie 200 hrs, as you talk elsewhere of imedances of 2 x 5Kohms and 10Kohms.

Can you confirm or otherwise please.  Should I use an amp for the load instead of the phones?  If so does that amp need to be doing anything, ie on or off etc?

Kind regards, and thanks again

Graeme
Australia

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2008, 02:36 pm »
Hi Graeme,

The line out is NOT intended to run low impedances of headphones.  You should never plug in headphones directly to the line out (unless there is some attenuator between them).  I wouldn't use any load below 5k.

If you have more questions, please email me: vinnie@redwineaudio.com

Vinnie

green_avanti

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2008, 09:12 am »
 :duh: :oops:

Vinnie

Thanks for setting me straight.  I'm competent mechanicaly, ie can solder, build and follow instructions, but seem to have a block when it comes to understanding how it all works.

I did a search of the forum on 'iMod' and 'burn-in' and found this earlier instrucion from you:

"..Another option is to obtain a 1/8" (or 3.5mm) plug and connect a 5k resistor from Left to GND, and a 5k resistor from Right to GND.  This would probably be an even greater load than you would find with an amp, and will speed up the burn-in process.."

I've since built a dummy load as above with 4k6 resistors to replace the 'phones and am using that.  Hopefully no damage done..

Thanks again..

Graeme

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2008, 01:18 pm »
Hi Graeme,

4.6k is fine!  :)

Cheers,

Vinnie