Pre amp building

Zoe

Pre amp building
« on: 2 Nov 2003, 03:18 am »
I want to build a pre-amp.  But I don't have a power amp.  I just have a couple of integrated amps.  Assume I build a pre-amp.  Will it be difficult or even feasible to utilize just the power section of my integrated and use the newly built pre-amp to feed it a signal? I figure it must be possible, but for a novice like myself, maybe it is a bit to ambitious.  What do you think?

fred

Pre amp building
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2003, 03:58 am »
What integrated amp do you have? Does it have pre-in inputs?

AKSA

Pre amp building
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2003, 03:58 am »
Zoe,

Yes, perfectly possible.  There are many integrateds which have an entry point for the power amp at the rear panel;  check yours.  Often you will find 'pre-out' and 'pwr-in' RCAs in this position.

Failing that, a bit of inspection from someone experienced with these beasts can help.  But you do need to know what the sensitivity of the power amp section is;  it should be at least 26dB, and this can often be found in the specifications.

Cheers,

Hugh

Zoe

Pre amp building
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2003, 04:29 am »
The amp that I figure I can do this with is the Jolida 502b.

AKSA

Pre amp building
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2003, 06:30 am »
Zoe,

If the amp is tube, then construction techniques will be traditional, and patching in a power input might be quite simple.  BUT, you'd need to know the circuit, and levels in the circuit, so you'd need a schematic.

I'm pretty sure that Response Audio would be cooperative, am I right?

Cheers,

Hugh