Dried Fruit in NY

Jampot

Dried Fruit in NY
« on: 27 Jun 2008, 04:51 pm »
Help!

I'm visiting with my daughter in Rye and one of the projects scheduled is for Mrs. Jampot to bake a Groom's cake for the upcoming wedding of one of her friends.

The recipe calls for raisins, sultanas and currants, but in the Port Chester branch of Stop and Shop we can only find the raisins.

Can anyone suggest where we may get the others? Oh, and glace cherries as well?

Mail order with next day delivery will be fine, but we return to UK next Thursday....

Jim

Jampot

Re: Dried Fruit in NY
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2008, 11:10 am »
So I did some Googling and found that the U.S. equivalent to a sultana is a raisin made specifically from the Thompson seedless grape. It was quite easy then to find a source and I ordered all three items from here-

http://www.nutsonline.com/?sid=QtZh73rirKVM9hYL

They are in NJ so hopefully UPS won't make a big deal of bringing them 50 miles or so!

The Groom in this case is a Brit (Welsh actually) getting married to a lady from New York. The recipe is his mother's rich fruit cake which he grew up with and the cake is planned as a surprise aa

His mother will be at the wedding but it is impractical to bring it with her (even if customs would allow) so I hope she approves of the end result :o

Jim