setting Azimuth electronically

AliG

setting Azimuth electronically
« on: 26 Jun 2008, 03:21 am »
Today I tried setting the azimuth on my VPI Aries-3 + JMW10.5i using a method suggested in Michael Fremer DVD, i.e using a voltmeter to measure channel crosstalk. I used a $40 Analogue Productions Test LP which has 1kHz tone on stereo, left and right modes.

I first played the 1kHz on stereo mode and I used the voltmeter to measure the output voltage of my amplifier, I turned the volume up so that both sides read about 4V.

Then I played the 1kHz tone on the left channel only, and measured the right output voltage, I got a reading about 0.02 to 0.08V (this is good).

I then played the 1kHz tone on the right channel only, and measured the left output voltage, I got a larger reading about 0.22 to 0.3V (too big!)

So that tells me that my azimuth is not balanced. I then turned the tonearm weight in one direction, trying to minimize the voltage on my left channel as much as possible when my right channel is playing. But the funny thing is, even after turning the tonearm weight to the extreme position, I was still getting 0.17 to 0.22V on my left channel (when right channel is playing at 4V).

So what does all this mean? Is it possible that my cartridge is faulty?? My cartridge is Dynavector 20XH, the specs on channel separation is 25dB (what does this mean?) :scratch:

analogcorner

Re: setting Azimuth electronically
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:06 pm »
Google alerts pointed me toward your post about having an azimuth setting problem...

First you need a test record that has 1kHz only on ONE CHANNEL AT A TIME. When the left channel is modulated, you set output of the left to 4V and measure the right channel crosstalk. When the right channel test tone plays, you set it to 4V and measure the unmodulated left channel! Then you convert to dB and measure separation, hoping for crosstalk figures within 10% of each other.

If you used a STEREO 1kHz test tone, you got wrong test tone and of course got wrong results!  That's what I suspect because the "good" channel you measured has separation better than anything I've ever seen: around 46dB!!!!!

-Michael Fremer

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:39 pm »
Google alerts pointed me toward your post about having an azimuth setting problem...

First you need a test record that has 1kHz only on ONE CHANNEL AT A TIME. When the left channel is modulated, you set output of the left to 4V and measure the right channel crosstalk. When the right channel test tone plays, you set it to 4V and measure the unmodulated left channel! Then you convert to dB and measure separation, hoping for crosstalk figures within 10% of each other.

If you used a STEREO 1kHz test tone, you got wrong test tone and of course got wrong results!  That's what I suspect because the "good" channel you measured has separation better than anything I've ever seen: around 46dB!!!!!

-Michael Fremer

Michael, Have you seen this new product and if so do you think it would be a good tool to check and adjust azimuth?
http://www.adjustplus.de/index.php?lang=english
I would be very interested to hear your comments on this at some point either now or in the not too distant future.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:45 pm »
Welcome to AudioCirlcles, Michael.

Wayner

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:52 pm »
Hey there Mr. Fremer.....ditto...welcome to AudioCircle  :thumb:

It is indeed a bit of an honor to have you here joining us.  May I say thanks for keeping the vinyl flame alive in the deep, dark years of the 80's and 90's....seems your quite the sage now as vinyl sales are again on the upswing  :wink:

My several years with only digital (CD/Redbook) as my front end was my worst music listening years in the 30 or so I've been semi-serious about it.

John (co-Fac, The Vinyl Circle)

AliG

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2008, 06:27 pm »
Hi Mr. Fremer, what a surprise! :o  Thank you so much for chipping in.

I think I got my channel right. What I am missing is measuring the voltages on BOTH channels when only one channel is playing.

I only measured the voltages on BOTH channels when I was playing in stereo mode, I turned my volume up so that voltmeter read ~4V on both sides.

However, when I then played the right channel, I only measure the left channel and vice versa. I suspect these tones are not made to be exactly the same loudness. I'll check again tonight and then report back.

-Michael Fremer