SB/Transporter & Audio Horizons TB 5.0 Tube Buffer

DSK

SB/Transporter & Audio Horizons TB 5.0 Tube Buffer
« on: 25 Jun 2008, 08:46 am »
Modwright's 'Truth' mods offer (amongst other things) a tube output stage on the Transporter. Others, like mgalusha have built their SB's into a larger chassis and built in a tube output stage. I'm sure there are others doing similar mods to provide a tube output stage too.

For those of us with an investment in our SqueezeBoxes (eg. Bolder or RedWine mods & power supplies etc) who aren't looking to pony up the cash to upgrade to a Modwright Transporter and don't have the EE skills to build our own tube output stages, perhaps there is an alternative...

I stumbled across the ads for Audio Horizons TB 5.0 Tube Buffers on Audiogon today. I'm no EE but there seems to be quite a bit of research and solid design behind this unit and it retails direct for $725 with premium mods.

Has anyone here tried one of these units between their SB (or Transporter) and pre-amp? If so, I'd be very interested to know what you thought and whether your pre-amp is tube or ss?

It doesn't have the 6dB gain or super low output impedance of the Burson Buffer but I'm wondering how the Audio Horizons tube buffer fares as a replacement for the solid state Burson Buffer. Anyone tried it?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: SB/Transporter & Audio Horizons TB 5.0 Tube Buffer
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2008, 01:09 pm »
I don't know what to make of Audio Horizon.  I think doug s. had said good things about J. Chow tuna mods, but I don't know anything about his products.  I would be interested in hearing about your experience with his buffer if you try it. 

I have tried Burson Buffer and it definitely added some things that I liked.  I also have an Eastern Minimax BBA with NOS tubes.  It too adds a degree of warmth that I like but I am not sure that it's better.  It does not improve music in terms of clarity or sound stage but it does fill out the tones.  In fact, it might be degrading the accuracy a little as full symphonic music gets a little over-saturated.  On the other hand, vocal music is better with it.  It's probably adding harmonics but I like it on vocals.  YMMV.

DSK

Re: SB/Transporter & Audio Horizons TB 5.0 Tube Buffer
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2008, 02:52 pm »
Thanks woodsyi. If I was in the US I'd probably take up the free audition offer and try it out, but I'm in Oz and will take a little convincing before taking the gamble.

I was contemplating what the Modwright Truth Transporter would sound like (in place of my Bolder SB2 & PS and Burson Buffer) in front of my Aspen GK-1 (tube hybrid pre-amp) when I stumbled across the Audio Horizon ads and thought it may be an interesting option. I'm guessing it may sound a little more organic but I wonder if it would improve dynamics and inner detail as much as the Burson Buffer does with its 6dB gain and ~35 ohms Zout (I think the Audio Horizons has 0dB gain and 200 ohms Zout).