odyssey mono extreme buzzing

johnzm

odyssey mono extreme buzzing
« on: 24 Jun 2008, 03:07 am »
hey guys,

i left my place for the weekend, and decided to turn off all my equipment.

i came back and powered the amps on, one at a time.

as usual the left channel powers on silently without anything but a "click" to indicate its ready to make beautiful music.

the right channel amp, powers on with a buzz that slowly quieted down to a silent amp. alarmed, i waited about 30 seconds and flipped it off. i went to clean up and when i came back i stuck my ear to the amp and flipped it onagain. once again the buzz clearly came from the amp. i decided that i should probably let them warm up so i left them on for about 10 hours. i once again flipped this amp off and waited 30 seconds and flipped back on and the buzz persisted. hoping it was a problem with the power (currently both amps were plugged into the same poewr outlet) i moved the amp out to my belkin power conditioner and once again it buzzed on turnon.

i dont know if klaus reads the forums, but i was wondering if it would be worth the time to send it back to get it looked at? it seems to be as silent as the other amp thorugh the speakers so it isint bothering my listening experience, but i fear for a possibility of more damage caused by whatever is causing the buzz.

thanks for any help :)

Haoleb

Re: odyssey mono extreme buzzing
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2008, 04:21 am »
sounds to me like what your hearing is the transformer, When you turn the amp on the transformer is under a much heavier load than when idle because it has to charge up the large capacitor bank. Both of my khartago's will make a little bit more  noise when they are first switched on for a couple of seconds until everything is charged.

If your not hearing it through the speakers I think its fine. The bolt that holds the transformer(s) down may need to be snugged up also.

Best bet is to call Klaus on the phone though for a quick answer.