Suggestions for "stepping up" from my Slimdevices Transporter?

yooper

I'm getting the bug to try a new source for my music collection. 

Here are a few of my requirements....

First and foremost, the devices must be capable of reading lossless files (currently use FLAC).  I have too much time and effort invested in ripping, tagging, gathering artwork and organizing over 1500 albums to consider going back to a CD player, so a CD player is out.

My Dodd battery pre will be used. so I have to have an analog music source.

Unfortunately, my two channel rig is in the same room as my HT set up.  I do have a Mac Mini (in the same room) which is hooked up to the TV running Slim's software. When I do a critical listening session I cover the TV with heavy blankets and use the Transporter's large display for navigating the library.  So, I hope to have a unit with a display.

I would like to stay around $4000.00 invested.  A couple options that come to mind...

Do the Modwright mod. 

Sell the Transporter and buy a modded SB3, then buy a very good DAC (suggestions?).

Any other thoughts?

Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
PM Sent.

George

Big Red Machine

An itch needing scratching.

Do the mod or try an outboard DAC on a trial basis first.

I'm going to China mid-July for a week if you want to borrow my SB and DAC then.

NewBuyer

Hi yooper,

Would you be willing to say what you wish to improve, from your Transporter sound? This might be helpful, to help generate some specific suggestions...

yooper

Thanks everyone for the PM's, I really appreciate the guidance.

Hey Pete, I would love to take you up on your offer!  I'll be in touch  :thumb:

Hi yooper,

Would you be willing to say what you wish to improve, from your Transporter sound? This might be helpful, to help generate some specific suggestions...

That's a good question which I can't answer for certain.  I'm very pleased with my current rig. 

I have not heard enough personal rigs (yet) to say I have a point of reference which I would like to get close to.  The only point of reference I really have is the equipment I listen to everyday..which of course is mine.  So until I bring in a new piece of equipment and experience the change within my system, I can't say for certain if another DAC or mod would be better (to me) than what I currently have.

But until I try (with some guidance from fellow ACer's) I'll never know.

Mark

AliG

That's a good question which I can't answer for certain.  I'm very pleased with my current rig. 

Yooper, you need to read this (words of wisdom :lol: :lol:)
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?postID=432#432

ps: I don't know the guy, I just found most his threads totally hilarious and yet making quite a bit of sense.

mikel51

I'm a fan of the Modwright mod.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Thanks everyone for the PM's, I really appreciate the guidance.

Yooper,

While I can appreciate what a PM means, can you elaborate at all on what guidance you refer to?

I take great interest in the answers to your questions, and there seems to be a bit of a blank spot. Although I have tried, I cannot find said 'guidance', as answers, without benefit of said PM's.

Having enjoyed said PM's, what are you thinking of as a source now?  :dunno:

pis99

I spent US$3,500 for a used combo of DCS Delius/Purcell as an upgrade for my Transporter. I couldn't be happier! To my ear, the improvement is even much higher than adding MIT Oracle cables.

panomaniac

Well....  another line of thinking might be the stuff from Helios Labs.http://www.helios-labs.com/us/products/xline/index_xline.shtml

It looks like pretty much what I would want in a media player:
CD/DVD player
Can read external USB drives
Networkable to read off remote drives or the Internet
Plays Flac and many other formats
Not Windows based AFAIK.

Mind you, I haven't seen one in the flesh, but the idea seems good.
As I have several external DACs (one of my own design) no worries about SQ.