Two excellent CD's to recommend

alwayslearning

Re: Two excellent CD's to recommend
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jul 2008, 03:03 pm »
As the threads originator I wanted to share a couple of my musical discoveries & hopefully read about new music that folks have found.  The discussion went off in another direction.   Oh well... journeys travel through many roads I figer'

jimdgoulding

« Reply #41 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:12 pm »
The thing that makes Eva Cassidy so special for me is that she is such a good communicator.  I wish Steve Hoffman could/would get his hands on some of her master tapes.  And if you guys don't have Shirley Horn's You Won't Forget Me (Verve), she is another one.  Very nice sonics on this, too.  Ella's Clap Hand Here Comes Charlie is well recorded very good music.  Carmen McRae Sings Billie Holiday (Columbia) gets a vote.  Superb supporting cast (Ben Webster, for example).  The recording is in your face and a little stark but with excellent definition.  Five stars for the music.

alwayslearning

« Reply #42 on: 22 Jul 2008, 04:21 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Anyone who approaches Eva's emotionality is well  worth listening to.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #43 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:36 pm »
The thing that makes Eva Cassidy so special for me is that she is such a good communicator.  I wish Steve Hoffman could/would get his hands on some of her master tapes.  And if you guys don't have Shirley Horn's You Won't Forget Me (Verve), she is another one.  Very nice sonics on this, too.  Ella's Clap Hand Here Comes Charlie is well recorded very good music.  Carmen McRae Sings Billie Holiday (Columbia) gets a vote.  Superb supporting cast (Ben Webster, for example).  The recording is in your face and a little stark but with excellent definition.  Five stars for the music.

Jim,
Good stuff.  Is the Carmen McRae the "Sings Lover Man and other Billie" album?  I can't find mention of Ben Webster on that one, only Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis.  Listening to it on Rhapsody now.  The early Diva stuff is all new to me, even at age 54.  I heard this stuff as a kid and kinda liked it but my folks we never into jazz (Boots Randolph and Dean Martin were the closest).   But I love Cassandra Wilson, and am looking for the gem classics that led up to her.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #44 on: 22 Jul 2008, 07:15 pm »
Teddy B-  I messed up, didn't I, but I meant well.  That's the one.  Good for you.

arthurs

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jul 2008, 03:34 am »
This is pretty syrupish but is you give it a good listen the sonics will sweep you away, there are some really good songs in here....

arthurs

« Reply #46 on: 30 Jul 2008, 01:13 pm »
This is very good....

rydenfan

« Reply #47 on: 30 Jul 2008, 01:22 pm »
Thanks to this thread I have ordered:

When We Were Small
By: Rosie Thomas

Words Came Back to Me
By: Sonya Kitchell

Piece by Piece
By: Katie Melua

Dreamsville
By:  Stacey Kent

Worrisome Heart
By: Melody Gardot

Waking Hour
By: Vienna Teng

I will report back once they arrive and I have listened...

rydenfan

« Reply #48 on: 30 Jul 2008, 02:15 pm »
I should also mention that the Once soundtrack has some really nice sonics and tunes, and goes well with the current theme

arthurs

« Reply #49 on: 30 Jul 2008, 02:20 pm »
I agree David, Once is very nice...looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get the discs in....cheers!

rydenfan

« Reply #50 on: 30 Jul 2008, 02:31 pm »
I agree David, Once is very nice...looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get the discs in....cheers!

I will certainly let you know...

Interestingly enough there is a band called The Slip that I have listened to for many years. I was reading the other day that they are actually the band on Sonya Kitchell's new album and will be touring with her. Funny how things work sometimes, I would not have known who she is if not for this thread  :D Anyway, they are excellent musicians and all studied at the Berkley School of Music in Boston. They range from Jazz originally to a more alternative sound currently, but they are worth checking out.

martyo

« Reply #51 on: 30 Jul 2008, 02:38 pm »

I really enjoyed the movie and the music.  :thumb:

alwayslearning

« Reply #52 on: 30 Jul 2008, 04:19 pm »
rydenfan,
 This has turned into an expensive lil' thread for you.  I hope your investments are most pleasant to your ears.  I'll have to check out Once.

It's good to be discussing music rather than friggin hardware!

rydenfan

« Reply #53 on: 30 Jul 2008, 05:24 pm »
rydenfan,
 This has turned into an expensive lil' thread for you.  I hope your investments are most pleasant to your ears.  I'll have to check out Once.

It's good to be discussing music rather than friggin hardware!

I have a feeling the money spent will be well worth it!

I agree, it is such a pleasure to discuss music  :wine:

rydenfan

« Reply #54 on: 30 Jul 2008, 05:27 pm »
I will also add that if you want to add a few to your collection of current women with some serious soul, these are awesome

alwayslearning

« Reply #55 on: 30 Jul 2008, 05:38 pm »
will check out. Thanks.

rydenfan

« Reply #56 on: 30 Jul 2008, 05:40 pm »
will check out. Thanks.

Now who is this thread getting expensive for??  :wink:

godawgs5

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jul 2008, 06:03 pm »
I will also add that if you want to add a few to your collection of current women with some serious soul, these are awesome

I have both those albums and thoroughly enjoy both.  Yeah! - Dap Kings with someone that can actually sing.  Amy Winehouse is a total bore in my opinion.

arthurs

« Reply #58 on: 1 Nov 2008, 02:29 pm »
Let's bring this thread back to life....here's two....

mca

« Reply #59 on: 1 Nov 2008, 03:02 pm »
In heavy rotation lately on my system: