• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Two excellent CD's to recommend
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2008, 08:17 pm »
1)  Grayson Capps --- Songbones
2)  Manu Katche --- Playground

rydenfan

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jul 2008, 04:21 pm »
I just picked up "Tim's House" excellent stuff! I will have to pick up a few more that have been recommended here. Thanks guys!!

Airborn

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jul 2008, 06:51 pm »
I first heard Kate Walsh on a Verve promo cd that included stuff from "Tim's House" which I agree is excellent.  Another nice discovery for me from that Verve promo disc was Melody Gardot and the album "Worrisome Heart".   Very  good. :thumb:  Check it out...

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist/releases/default.aspx?pid=11797&aid=7293

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #23 on: 10 Jul 2008, 07:08 pm »

2)  Cowboy Junkies --- Trinity Revisited

How is this overall? 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jul 2008, 07:14 pm »

How is this overall? 

A very well recorded cd that, at first, didn't sit well because of the icon that is the original.  Then I quickly began to love the thing for what it was, a fresh take on Trinity that was both more dynamic and different enough to be evaluated on its own.  The 5.1 DVD is very very good and allows you to visualize the recording space much easier once viewed.

arthurs

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jul 2008, 07:16 pm »

How is this overall? 

I feel like it's "good" but not great, but that's just my opinion.  The sonics are really good, but I thought were better on the original (my taste, may not be everyone's) and I don't care for the guest stuff.  If they had stuck with the original band redoing the original tunes, and moved the vocal up in the mix a bit, this would be a real treasure.  That said, worth owning as it is pretty good.

EDIT:  I haven't watched the accompanying DVD, may add to the experience as Ted said, I just don't have a TV in my listening room....

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #26 on: 10 Jul 2008, 07:22 pm »
1)  Grayson Capps --- Songbones
2)  Manu Katche --- Playground

I've never heard Grayson Capps (yet!) but I do have Playground by Manu Katche and I do agree with your recommendation. :D I also have Manu's Neighbourhood and It's About Time that you might want to try out. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #27 on: 10 Jul 2008, 07:30 pm »

How is this overall? 

A very well recorded cd that, at first, didn't sit well because of the icon that is the original.  Then I quickly began to love the thing for what it was, a fresh take on Trinity that was both more dynamic and different enough to be evaluated on its own.  The 5.1 DVD is very very good and allows you to visualize the recording space much easier once viewed.

Thanks for the summary.  If it really is more dynamic, then I think I'll get it ... that's typically my main complaint with Junkies, they often sound like they just took a horse tranquilizer. 

rydenfan

« Reply #28 on: 11 Jul 2008, 01:47 am »
that's typically my main complaint with Junkies, they often sound like they just took a horse tranquilizer. 

Those are fightin' words  :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #29 on: 11 Jul 2008, 02:28 am »

How is this overall? 

Thanks for the summary.  If it really is more dynamic, then I think I'll get it ... that's typically my main complaint with Junkies, they often sound like they just took a horse tranquilizer. 

Then get Whites Off Earth Now....!

rydenfan

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jul 2008, 01:30 am »
Guys, I am freakin lovin "Tim's House"! Are most of the other recommendations on here similar in nature?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #31 on: 18 Jul 2008, 02:11 am »
Whenever I see a thread looking for recommendations I have to jump in with SUFJAN STEVENS -- "COME ON FEEL THE ILLINOISE." If you don't get goosebumps sometime during track 4 you may be dead.
For a sonic treat, Laurie Anderson's "Life On A String." Track 6 will give your sub a workout. I swear my walls shake.
Oh yeah, I just ordered "Tim's House." Thanks.

Mijknarf

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jul 2008, 02:57 am »
Here's just a few new ones I've p/u that are in my new rotation (all very well recorded):
Acoustic:
1.  The aforementioned Grayson Capps "Songbones" - very simple, nice
2.  Jakob Dylan "Seeing Things" - a bit dark, but keeps my toe tappin'

Female:
1.  Raya Yarbrough "Raya Yarbrough" - makes my speakers come to life
2.  Sara Gazerek "Return To You"

Blues:
1.  Janiva Magness "What Love Will Do" - under rated in my book
2.  Eric Clapton "From The Cradle" - a classic for sure (perhaps not the best recording, but man he can do the blues)

rydenfan

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jul 2008, 03:14 am »
Wow, this thread is all over the place. I am simply trying to find other recordings similar in nature to "Tim's House" not whatever others are listening to currently that they like. Arthur seems to be the guru on this subject  :lol: hopefully he will chime in...

rydenfan

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jul 2008, 03:14 am »
deleted

arthurs

« Reply #35 on: 18 Jul 2008, 03:26 am »
Wow, this thread is all over the place. I am simply trying to find other recordings similar in nature to "Tim's House" not whatever others are listening to currently that they like. Arthur seems to be the guru on this subject  :lol: hopefully he will chime in...

I don't know about guru, but I'll chime in again tomorrow with some more titles....

One for tonight

Kasey Chambers - Wayward Angel

A bit more uptempo in places but really well recorded with some exceptional songs..

bluemike

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jul 2008, 03:59 am »
Great stuff Art  :thumb:  keep em coming..

a few of my favourites:

Cyrus Chestnut  Jazz piano at it's best
Siri Svale Blackbird

Mijknarf

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:42 am »
Sorry Rydenfan, I missed the point of the thread.

rydenfan

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jul 2008, 01:23 pm »
I don't know about guru, but I'll chime in again tomorrow with some more titles....

One for tonight

Kasey Chambers - Wayward Angel

A bit more uptempo in places but really well recorded with some exceptional songs..

Great! I know you made some recs on the first page that I have yet to order so I will look there as well. Keep 'em coming  :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #39 on: 19 Jul 2008, 02:00 pm »
Wow, this thread is all over the place. I am simply trying to find other recordings similar in nature to "Tim's House" not whatever others are listening to currently that they like.

Strange comment as you weren't the thread originator.
But here's something in that vein