Cases for Aspen

Zoe

Cases for Aspen
« on: 31 Oct 2003, 04:56 am »
Has a consensus evolved for what supplier/model of cases everybody has come to prefer?  The building/soldering of the kit doesn't phase me in the least but the idea of having to go out and separately buy additional parts is putting me off a bit.  Any help there?

andyr

Cases for Aspen
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2003, 05:13 am »
Depends whereabouts u are, Zoe ... and what sort of shops are nearby.

First off, I went to sheet metalworker to have some 2mm thick sheet steel bent around the AKSA heatsinks (which form the sides of the 'box'), then, for the top, a 3mm piece of steel screws down into the top of the heatsinks.  I had all that powder coated.

But I also find, 19" 2RU or 3RU rack enclosures go well - which you can buy from electronics components shops - although they don't have a very thick base (which is needed for screwing the toroid bolts down hard).

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

Cases for Aspen
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2003, 06:11 am »
Hi Zoe,

If you are in the States - an assumption only - I suggest the ten series Al/Fe 19-143X 2U rack chassis.  This is 17" wide, 3.5" tall, and 14" deep, and easily accommodates all transformers, the entire heatsink, and modules.  They cost about $US62, shipping anywhere in continental USA and are based from NY State.  Try this:  http://par-metal.com/

If you email me privately I will send you a picture of an AKSA I built into a 2U case available locally here in Australia.  Looks very professional!

The metal work is not too difficult if you buy a presentable case, and take care where you drill the holes.

We look forward to getting you into an AKSA, and you can be sure you will have support right here on this forum!

Cheers,

Hugh

bluesky

Cases for Aspen
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2003, 07:03 am »
Hi Zoe

Just a hint from my building process from someone who is still new to all this stuff.  I built some temporary cases out of cheap MDF or chipboard, it only cost me about $6 AUD for a sheet big enough to make one case.  I found this really useful because I could work out the layout of all the bits and pieces while happily stuffing up the placement of a few things while I learnt what was what.  After making the first set of temporary cases I found I would inevitably think of a better way to place something, route a wire or whatever.

When it comes time to build the "real cases" out of whatever material takes your fancy, the layout, where to place holes and connectors has been well sorted out.

Cheers,  Bluesky
Brisbane, Australia

Oz_Audio

Cases for Aspen
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2003, 09:35 pm »
Build them from Timber, mine are Jarrah, a local Australian Hardwood.  They took a weekend to finish and the result is very pleasing.
Once I work out how to load pictures. I'll puy some on.
Mark