Ipod vs Itouch, Nano vs Classic, etc??

JoshK

Ipod vs Itouch, Nano vs Classic, etc??
« on: 20 Jun 2008, 03:53 pm »
My wife and I have these Nokia music player phones, thinking we would use it to put music on but also have the phone in one.  It came with a 1GB memory card, which is far too small, so I bought 4GB upgrade...but the phone only takes up to 2GB.  Well long story short, we don't like the phone and the wife wants a relatively small player with large storage capacity.   She is thinking Ipod.

Now I don't know jack about Ipods, been resisting the whole frenzy.   I still have a huge Creative JB3 that is heavy and bulky and I never use.   I don't know the rumors about what is up and coming.

My wife really likes to use the phone when working out so being small enough to wear on an arm band would be necessary.   She also doesn't like using the applications to constantly change what is on the player, so large enough capacity to add once and not take off again would be needed.  She works out for about 1 hr/day 5 days a week, so she goes through playlists pretty fast. 

The Nano looks like the perfect form factor but I am thinking that 16gb is too small, 32gb would probably be about the min.  The 80gb Classic would sufficient storage but the form factor seems like it might be clunky for taking to the gym.  If they made a Nano in 32gb I think it'd be a done deal.  However, then there is the Itouch, which is pretty darn expensive but have some applications I could see her using, especially the maps since she is always calling me to look up mapquest cause she is doing an errand in the city and can't find her way.  The other stuff is probably bonus.   

I don't see the applications (of the itouch) as critical and absolutely necessary but a real cool feature that would add to useability.  If the price for the itouch included 160gb, then I could see paying it, but its ~$500 for 32gb.  Ouch.

Should we just wait?  Does anyone know if rumor has it something is around the corner that will likely fill the need? 

Experience or guidance appreciated.

Josh

P.S.  ipod requires itunes right?  Can I create my mp3s elsewhere and still add them to ipod?  Neither my wife nor I really liked using itunes when we briefly tried it.

Toka

Re: Ipod vs Itouch, Nano vs Classic, etc??
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2008, 06:46 pm »
The Nano tops out at 8GB (about 2,000 songs)...thats probably the best model for use in a gym setting. I would not recommend the Classic due to its internal HDD...moving parts don't jive well with being bumped around so much. The Touch would work fine too but it is much bigger than the Nano, and if the extra features won't be used often you are paying a lot of extra money for nothing.

As for iTunes, yes, there are other (unofficial) options...but I don't have any problem with iTunes at all in its current build.

saisunil

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2008, 07:20 pm »
why not get the new iphone - it has it all .... including GPS and Maps!
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

I am just waiting for my Verizon contract to expire to get the new iPhone.

Otherwise, as suggested, nano would be the way to go for workout - 8G can store a lot of MP3s - enough to last a couple of months worth of work-outs. Every couple of months you can add / remove music - which is not a bad thing.

Cheers

Rashiki

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2008, 07:22 pm »
P.S.  ipod requires itunes right?  Can I create my mp3s elsewhere and still add them to ipod?  Neither my wife nor I really liked using itunes when we briefly tried it.

I can't stand iTunes, so I've tried using alternatives like Yamipod. Unfortunately, the latest versions of the iPod have made it harder for the iTunes alternatives. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it to work.

I have the newer Nano 8GB and I miss my older 4GB Nano. With the older Nano you could load the rockbox firmware and easily get away from using iTunes.

If I were to buy a new player, I'd look for one that is supported by rockbox, probably the Sandisk Sansa e280.

-Rob

JP78

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2008, 11:48 pm »
joshk - this is a little off your line of thought, but i use my treo 755p which takes 8gb cards...i can watch shows, movies,  music...it's fantastic. swappable cards make storing tons of various libraries quick and easy to access.