mklamb

Article suggestion: Budget Turntable System
« on: 19 Jun 2008, 08:36 pm »
How about an article for a budget turntable system? More in this post:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56933.0

oracle309

Re: Article suggestion: Budget Turntable System
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2008, 02:43 pm »
Budget turntable system.? I understand the need. But are you talking new, used? And budget to you may mean lots to someone else...

Not sure what Mark may have going on for publication, but I've got 10+ turntables. And all save one, are "budget". Free or next to nothing into them. Do you want a project? or do you want a turn-key setup? There are so many ways to skin a cat...

stew

mklamb

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2008, 02:28 pm »
Stew,

I understand folks would have different opinions, needs/wants.
I should have said budget system (complete system) for a newbie getting into analog and within a range - say $1000, $2000, etc.
It would be preferably new since newbies may not have knowledge of what specs to look for when evaluating a used system.

Hope that makes sense.

oracle309

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2008, 07:02 pm »
Mark,

I personally would love to do an article on this exact thing. I've built/modified/re-plinthed a few tables (some more successful than others) and am currently in the middle of a complete revamp of a commercial product, that could easliy fit within the proposed budget with arm, cartridge, and phono stage. Unfortunately I think this will be upto one of the US based writers. Why? because I'm Canuck, and therefore live in Canuckland. Suppliers have an easier time sending items for review to US addresses, and returning said items to them is much easier as well.

A $1000 to $2000 is a substantial budget for a budget vinyl rig. For either a "newbie" or a "journeyman" enthusiast, I think.
The possibilities are endless, literally. So I guess it depends.

There are a few schools of thought:
  • buy a Rega, the best you can afford, add a PSU and a phono stage (if your receiver, integrated, or preamp doesn't have one). Some folks have complained that the Regas run a little fast (upto 5% ) and that this gives the Regas a "quick" sound.
  • buy a used "super deck" like a Linn, etc and the required phono stage
  • look at some "old contenders", like the Linn competitors that may no longer make TTs, such as a Heybrook TT2, Systemdek llX, Ariston RD80 or 11S and the required phono stage
  • look at some of the Rega competitors such as the Projects, or even a Roksan Radius/Nima , the Music Halls, etc
  • see the Clearaudio line, all very nice and well reviewed
  • and don't forget a learning curve. Easiest the best way to spend some time and (in my experience) not much money is to purchase the old Thorens 150/160 tables, an original AR turntable (the apparent grand daddy of all suspended decks) or even a respectable grade of Japanese table, either Direct Drive or belt.. If you are careful you can easily put together a killer rig for under $1000 including a modern arm, a good "budget" cartridge, and a little luck even a phono stage or a preamp with a good phono stage

I think Michael Fremer has an interesting project on the go, an Technics SL1200 to modify. Loose the arm (or perhaps the internal wiring), add a good cartridge (he's tried the Denon DL103 and likes what it does with the SL1200), improve on the exterior wiring and there ya go. The original arm is easy to sell 'cause DJ types ruin lots...

I hope this helps, but your suggestion for an article isn't wasted on me, just that in practical terms for new equipment reviews, It is a little difficult.