Just got a pair of great condition Conrad Johnson Synthesis LM250 Speakers

calbear81

Hey guys,

I just bought a pair of CJ Synthesis LM250 floorstanding speakers from a jazz enthusiast on craigslist.  I paid $295 since they were in great condition and it sounded really good when I was demo'ing it. 

I looked under the hood and there was a Dynaudio D28 AF driver and I heard there's a Focal woofer underneath the cloth fabric. 

Did I pay a fair price?  I'm still evaluating it against my JM Focal 807V mini monitors but what do you guys think?  I might resell it if I don't like it much but do you think there's a market for people who are interested in this speaker that is no longer produced?

Thanks,

Roger

fredgarvin

Hi Roger, I'm not familiar with those myself, but a good place to buy, sell and talk about vintage gear is over at http://www.Audiokarma.org

calbear81

Thanks Fred.

I just registered over there and am waiting to get permissions to post.  It sounds pretty good IMO so far with less than a few hours of listening time.  I think I have to find some great material to really allow them to shine.  The soundstage is better than my Focals but the highs are not as clear but I think that's more personal preference.  I know I read that Conrad Johnson had used Synthesis speakers as their reference system up until the mid 90s when they finally found better speakers (Wilsons) so it's got a good pedigree.

The cabinets are very well made and I'm almost wondering if I should consider replacing the tweeter and woofer with modern ones that could pair well with the crossover.   (just emailed CJ to see if they have suggestions)

Here's a brochure in case anyone's interested:  http://www.jazzloftsound.com/temp/speaker.pdf

The only bad part is the ugly brown grill cloth that surrounds the whole thing.  It's like crayon brown.  I might just shell out the $50 to recloth them with black cloth.

Thanks,

Roger

mabrooks12

Please let me know if you change out the drivers and want to sell the old ones.  I am in need of a replacement for my 250 D.  Although I dont remember it having the D28 in it ?  Are you sure thats the factory driver?