New Jazz Album: Hiromi - Beyond Standard

ooheadsoo

New Jazz Album: Hiromi - Beyond Standard
« on: 19 Jun 2008, 01:55 am »
This album just came out last week:

I was forced to miss her at the Playboy Jazz Festival, and some coworkers who came back from the show said that she was THE talk of the entire saturday line up!  I'm so very pleased for her.  Her music inspires me.

I ordered the album off of amazon, but with super saver shipping, I probably won't get it for 3 more weeks.  The wait just started today and I already can't stand it!

markC

Re: New Jazz Album: Hiromi - Beyond Standard
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2008, 02:32 am »
Cheapskate! :lol:
How much did you save?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2008, 03:15 am »
Well, it was $12 for the album, which is normally $18+, and I saved about $7 on shipping, so about $13 altogether.  I also threw in a Dubois (Last Seven Words of Christ) recording that I've been eying for a while to get the free shipping - actually, it was still $.04 away from free ship, so I threw in a pair of shorts for $11.  And then I threw in a $30 import of the Hiromi/Chick Corea Duet cd from Japan that wasn't part of the free shipping deal.

So, I'm a little stumped about how much money I saved  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2008, 06:32 am »
Samples and Info...... :thumb:

Interesting artist...I have two of her Cds..."Brain" and  "Time Control"...similar to Bad Plus/E.S.T sounding.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2008, 01:43 pm »
Chris, you just happened to skip the albums that don't sound like EST ;)
Her first album is more fusion, and the third album, Spiral, is sort of a post modern classical jazz fusion hybrid.

Luckily for me, amazon decided to ship my cd already!!!

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2008, 07:27 pm »
I have a copy of her first album and have heard clips of the others. She's just too chops oriented for me, no soul to the music, and I like Jazz fusion in general.

Bob

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2008, 01:36 am »
I'm not partial to Keiko Matsui.  A little too much on the soft side of jazz for me in general, but I still Keiko Matsui very enjoyable once in a while. 

I dig chops  :thumb:
What's soul?  :scratch: 

All I can say is that Hiromi's music activates me on many levels.  It digs deep, musically.  The more theory you understand, the better you dig.  And, for me, it grooves, too.  A near perfect blend of compositional technique, chops, and accessibility.  It is her ability to combine the first and third elements that impresses me most.

My coworker brought his copy of the cd and let me listen to it.  Fans of her previous cds, particularly 1 and 4 are in for some insider treats in the form of some familiar cuts.  I've only listened to it distractedly two or three times at work, but in general, I'd give it two thumbs up.  This stuff takes some time to digest.  Only nitpick I have is with Fuze - I wish he would attack some passages harder or turn up the drive a little in some parts.  Well, that and the fact that the way Hiromi arranges some of the drum solos since her album, Spiral, is very strange and distracting to many - this time, in one of the cuts, even I am finding it a little hard to swallow.  If my internal clock were better at counting/feeling the odd compound time signature, I would be more comfortable with it.  I know it will come with time - actually one of the things I look forward to: growing into the album, hearing new things, and I don't mean that in the audiophile sense.

Phil

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2008, 02:11 am »
I don't think I would like her if I hadn't seen her in person.  During the first song, I was thinking "This is bullpoop."  So, I just relaxed and listened.  By the second song, I found myself listening very closely and getting into the music, which surprised me.   The entire trio is great.  By the end, I was following along intently, laughing at the funny parts and drifting along with the expansive parts. 

She appears to be very spontaneous/playful and has a wonderful time performing.  One of the most interesting things that happened was watching her walk silently into the room and around the room as if to size it up, to get a sense of the space itself.  She did this without calling attention to herself.  Interesting artist.

Surely not for everyone, but worth a close listen to see if it is for you. 

Phil

ooheadsoo

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2008, 02:36 am »
Her now quartet is smoking live.  I saw her when Fuze wasn't able to make it, but it was still an excellent performance.

giantsteps

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2008, 03:04 am »

Keith Jarrett anyone?

Frank

jeffjazz

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2008, 03:17 am »
She is at the Clifford Brown Jazz Fesitval this Sat. in Wilmington DE.
Outdoor concert FREE!!! and... I am working with a wedding band that night.
Oh well.  Anyone in the area check her out.

Here's info.

http://www.cliffordbrownjazzfest.com/

- Jeff

ooheadsoo

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2008, 05:42 am »

Keith Jarrett anyone?

Frank

Actually, I don't care for Keith Jarrett, myself...Not my taste, personally.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2008, 08:12 pm »
Hm, so I finally listened to the album in my home and and my comments earlier about the drum solo are ameliorated.  There was actually a keyboard part holding down the fort that I couldn't hear at work.

simoon

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2008, 12:02 am »
I dig chops  :thumb:
What's soul?  :scratch: 

All I can say is that Hiromi's music activates me on many levels.  It digs deep, musically.  The more theory you understand, the better you dig.  And, for me, it grooves, too.  A near perfect blend of compositional technique, chops, and accessibility.  It is her ability to combine the first and third elements that impresses me most.

I'm with you 100%

I listen to music for a lot of different of reasons and for a lot of diferent moods. Sometimes I want to listen to very emotonal music, sometimes chops oriented.

Just because music is very chops orientied doen't mean it still doens't have the ability to evoke emotional response in the listener. And even if it doesn't, it doesn't mean it still isn't great to listen too!

ooheadsoo

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:10 am »
We're on the same page  8)

Here are some vids from youtube:

Softly As in a Morning Sunrise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78sBMW4fVA
XYG (don't watch this if atonality and "repetitive" mixed meter bothers you) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeO-sps3SPI
I Got Rhythm (stride) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHPd9bOhSOo&feature=related
a clip of Claire de Lune and the beginning of Ue Wo Muite Aruko http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc8-XJI53jY