Question for Jackman and his DIO impressions

Rocket

« on: 13 Jan 2003, 02:52 am »
hello jackman,

just curious to know what your impressions of the art dio were?  are you upgrading to something better?

good luck with selling the unit.

regards

rod

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2003, 03:34 am »
I love the DIO and am having second thoughts about selling it.  Nothing is close for the money.  I was thinking about trying a kit like the Audionote.  I am looking for something that has tubes in it to mellow out some harsh recordings, primarily jazz recordings from the 50's.  The DIO is much more 3D and detailed than the Audionote Dac1 I have on loan.  The Audionote is more mellow, and laid back which is great on the old jazz recordings but not good on more recent recordings or mellow recordings.  I get the feeling that I'm missing too much detail on the Audionote.  

The Ellis 1801's are very unforgiving on bad or harsh recordings.  The Audionote really smooths things out.  The downside is that the "Magic" seems to be lost on great recordings.  The DIO really brings out the magic on these recordings with the Ellis.  

J

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2003, 09:36 am »
hello jackman,

how much is the audionote kit?  i have heard of audionote but i've never listened to one of their products.  it sounds like you have a dilemma which way you would like to go with your system.

i have the perpetual technologies p3a dac which i'm quite happy with.  i'm going to buy an output board from tony from g&d transforms which he makes for pioneer cdp's.  my pioneer has one of his clock upgrades which is quite good, although not quite as good as the pt dac.  also, i hear that hugh dean from aksa may in the next 12 months design a kit dac which i'll buy.

anyway good luck.

regards

rod

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2003, 02:04 pm »
hi jack,

please buy scott nixon's toob-dac (only $350)...  i wanna hear one, but next-best is to hear someone else's opinion on one, who's had the same dac you have!   :)   also, ever give any thoughts to yust selling the p/s separately?

regards,

doug s.