The Incredible Hulk

mjosef

The Incredible Hulk
« on: 18 Jun 2008, 12:44 am »
Saw the new Hulk movie this past Sunday...much superior actors and action sequences in this version, but...dunno, somehow felt it fell short of its potential.
3.5 out of 5 *

Bigfish

Re: The Incredible Hulk
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2008, 12:51 am »
Saw the new Hulk movie this past Sunday...much superior actors and action sequences in this version, but...dunno, somehow felt it fell short of its potential.
3.5 out of 5 *

Thank you for the review MJosef.  The Hulk was on my list of movies that I wanted to go see but now I may wait for it on Blu Ray!

Ken

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2008, 01:40 am »
3.5 out of 5 *

2.5 stars (out of 5) I'd give it.  Saw it yesterday.  The main attraction/action of the film are the 2 fights.  The first one was pretty good.  I thought the 2nd fight just wimped out.  That seems to be the case when they just want to end the film at a set length (time), so it'd wimps out because corners are cut.....  Never saw Ang Lee's version, and not a big comic fan either, so just speaking based on this one movie.  Some scenes were just not developed enough perhaps. :drool:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2008, 02:12 am »
3.5 out of 5 *

3.5 out of 5 is good enough for me. :thumb: I'll be making the 90 minute drive tomorrow to watch a matinee doubleheader, The Hunk and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. I'm stoked! :hyper:

Cheers,
Robin

mjosef

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2008, 03:50 am »
It was entertaining enough to warrant the $12.50 ticket, plus I like Ed Norten and the lead gal, Liv Tyler...she always strikes me as so very tender.

The first Narnia was a waste of a ticket IMO.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2008, 03:59 am »
I enjoyed this one, better than Iron Man, mainly because I connected on some emotional level with the Hulk which I didn't with Iron Man.  The Hulk had a humane quality to him that worked for me.  I thought it had a very nice live action comic book feel to much of it.  I thought Ang Lee's version more thought provoking but this one played all angles reasonably well.

The opening scenes in Brazil (in the City Of God setting) are good.  Seeing that area ( I forget the name) is just a feast for the eyes and tells like an ancient Mayan? city.  Take a moment to settle in on that area, just stellar, no matter how many times I see that place I am still amazed but still bothered that people have to live on top on each other in such a way.

I thought it to be a nice adaptation, I got more connected to the Hulk the I figured I would.  His gestures told a story for me in a way I never connected with Iron Man, even hough seemingly the Hulk has little depth.  I really got a sense of the rage, even the reluctant rage tormenting the Hulk.  The last fight scene pulled me in and I remember a certain intensity to it that had me thinking this is getting too wild, too much rage.  Sounds weird but that was my natural reaction with the think tank running idle.  When the action let up I remember physically having a sensation of coming back to reality.  Could have just been me, my theater, its screen and sound system but it sucked me in like when you get consumed by playing one of those video games.

Again, I do try to go into to these movies with a open mind and willing to be entertained.  I am not a big comic book guy and have no extreme character knowledge, I really try to approach these movies and if I was a kid (as I wished they would have been able to make these films when I was a child with a child's imagination and sense of wonder.)  These movies are pure fun factor and fantasy for me.

santacore

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2008, 04:03 am »
I saw this yesterday. It was enjoyable but nothing that I'd run back to see. At least it had good acting and decent character development along with the great action scenes. I was worried it was going to be all action scenes and no story. Overall I'd agree with the 3.5 stars. launche, you are right, the Brazil shots were both amazing and bothersome.  I actually kept asking myself if it was real or just computer generated. I guess by your account it must really be like that. Amazing!

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2008, 04:13 am »
It was entertaining enough to warrant the $12.50 ticket, plus I like Ed Norten and the lead gal, Liv Tyler...she always strikes me as so very tender.

What did you do, see this movie at an IMAX? Damn lucky dog if ya did. :thumb: The theater I'll be doing to is in Burlington, Vt and is the best we have with 10 theaters, recliners w/cupholders, stadium seating and a dynamite surround system. Plus the fact that for a $6 matinee price, you can stay all day with the potential of watching 4 movies. They's got kids operating the counter with no supervision,,, it don't get any better than that. I always fit a doubleheader in, just to make the trip worthwhile. But 1 of these days, I'm gonna make it to an IMAX. :D

Cheers,
Robin

mjosef

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2008, 04:17 am »
No IMAX for the Hulk film Robin...would have if it was available. But that's what it cost here in the city now...last time I went to see Iron man it was 10.50...price went up.
Plus I took a 10year old kid with me...so +8.75...and I always get popcorn +5.25..
 :lol:
That's life in NYC.

I love the cinematography...excellent, really gave you a feel for the Brazilian mini city.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2008, 12:03 pm »

You have high standards, mjosef!  The first Narnia was already better than the current one, IMO.  So, don't waste on this the 2nd one.  It's not as good. :nono:

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2008, 11:18 pm »
THanks Shek...you saved me good money  :lol:...in any case my little buddy and myself did not pencil in that as a must see movie.

After experiencing the  LOTR trilogy one's tolerance for petty childish movies are very thin...I can barely tolerate the HP series...  :oops:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2008, 02:34 am »
Gotta say I was very disappointed with the Hulk, slow story plot, slow acting,,,, things picked up toward the final 1/3 of the movie but it didn't make up for all I had to sit thru. I've always liked both Edward Norton and Liv Tyler but the early interaction between them was the worse actiing I've ever seen from either of them. The final third of the movie was awesome tho as was the soundtrack. That saved the movie from being a 2.5.

So 3.0 out of 5 stars is the best I can do,,,, and Ironman kicked The Hulk all over the wide screen. What I'd like to see tho is what the 2 (or more?) could do together on the big screen,,,,, :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

PhilNYC

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2008, 11:51 am »
I saw this a few days ago.  Like others here, I liked it but didn't love it.  Definitely far superior to the Ang Lee version.  I thought it was on-par with Iron Man in terms of the story-telling and the overall quality...Iron Man may have been more entertaining because of the humor that Robert Downey Jr. was able to bring to it, but Ed Norton definitely brings more character depth to the table.

Was surprised that they pretty much glossed over the origin of the Hulk.  I guess everyone pretty much knows his story, but I thought that they would try a little harder to give the origin some oomph.

Special effects definitely didn't look absolutely realistic, but I liked them anyways. 

The biggest problem I had with the film was with Tim Roth.  I thought he did a pretty good acting job in terms of conveying the emotions and greed of his character.  But physically he was a big negative distraction to me.  He was supposed to be some bad-ass military guy, but physically he was wimpy...even the way he walked (especially next to the very commanding-looking William Hurt) made him look like he was trying to be "The Fonz" the way he was swinging his arms (not very military-like) and strutting.

Oh, and yes, I wasn't a big fan of Liv Tyler in this film either...her "innocent girl" act is getting a bit old, and physically she wasn't a good match with Ed Norton on the screen.