oops. I orphaned my music from iTunes.

stereocilia

oops. I orphaned my music from iTunes.
« on: 16 Jun 2008, 03:45 pm »
In a vain attempt to get Sqeezecenter to display album artwork from iTunes I seem to have orphaned my music collection from iTunes in the external [F:] drive.

I pointed iTunes to the correct folder in the  F: drive using the General tab in the Advanced settings screen, and the content is listed in iTunes.

However, when I try to play a song in iTunes it makes me locate the file manually in the F: drive every time.  After I’ve done that once, iTunes can find it again later, but manually pointing iTunes to every song is impractical, and I’d rather not rescan hundreds of ceedees.

I followed the directions from apple for moving content to a new location, but that didn’t help, either.

I’m thankful for any ideas you may have.

edit:  oops.  should have posted the the apple core, I suppose.   :oops:

Crimson

Re: oops. I orphaned my music from iTunes.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2008, 03:30 am »
In a vain attempt to get Sqeezecenter to display album artwork from iTunes I seem to have orphaned my music collection from iTunes in the external [F:] drive.

I pointed iTunes to the correct folder in the  F: drive using the General tab in the Advanced settings screen, and the content is listed in iTunes.

However, when I try to play a song in iTunes it makes me locate the file manually in the F: drive every time.  After I’ve done that once, iTunes can find it again later, but manually pointing iTunes to every song is impractical, and I’d rather not rescan hundreds of ceedees.

I followed the directions from apple for moving content to a new location, but that didn’t help, either.

I’m thankful for any ideas you may have.

edit:  oops.  should have posted the the apple core, I suppose.   :oops:

Highlight your entire music library in iTunes and delete, but do not move to trash. Make sure iTunes is still pointing to the correct (F:) drive in Preferences > Advanced > General, then go to File > Add to Library and point to your F: drive, click OK. It'll rebuild your library file and generate correct paths for each file.

This post has more info.

stereocilia

Re: oops. I orphaned my music from iTunes.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2008, 01:22 pm »
Crimson, thank you.  That would have been MUCH easier than doing what I did late last night before reading your post.   :duh:  I should have mentioned that this is iTunes for PC, but I imagine that instead of "Trash" I could have substituted "Recycle Bin" for the same result.

I used a more complicated method, but it worked.  After searching like crazy, I found and downloaded a freeware program called iTunes Library Updater.  First, I had to install .net framework 2.0.  Then, I installed .net framework 2.0 SP 1.  Then, I used iTLU to rebuild the library which generated duplicates of everything.  Then I used the 'synchroclean' in iTLU to delete the duplicates (with the ! in iTunes library).

My next project, for another day, will be to try to get the album artwork to display on my Squeezebox Duet.

Thanks again.