Have you ever returned new LP?

AliG

« on: 16 Jun 2008, 02:59 am »
I have been buying lots of new LPs, and I always hear pops and clicks on all of them. Some of these pops can be removed by cleaning, some simply wouldn't go away. So my question to you guys is, have you ever return LP because of pops and clicks? And what's your tipping point?

On the other hand, I think I'm beginning to develop some kind of "immunity" to all these LP noises. The sound of LP is simply too "intoxicating" despite its imperfection.

SET Man

Re: Have you ever returned new LP?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2008, 04:57 am »
Hey!

I've read your previous post about noisy LPs after cleaning.

To answer you question... Yes, I've return LP before but once to Music Direct due to the fact that the LP I've received was wrapped badly that it shaped like a bowl. Well, the replacement wasn't totally flat but it was much better.

And AliG, I'm sorry to say that even the best audiophile press won't be as quiet as CD version.

If you know someone with a good TT set up I think you should try to bring your LPs that you feel noisy to you and play it there and see if they are noisy to you still on a different system.

There are two possibilities that I feel about this. First your cleaning scheme cause the LP to become noisy maybe due to whatever left in the groove after cleaning. Second, you just can't stand a little surface noise and minor ticks and pops of which is a inherent flaw of this medium that won't go away.

Yes, I do sometime wish that some of my LPs could be quieter but they are not to the point that it becoming annoying.

Honestly if the second one is a big problem to you than I would suggest that you go back to CD. I know some people just can't get over these.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:06 am »
Barry....As Buddy mentioned....you can most likely exchange them for another copy...don't know about a refund.

Or.....you could make a nice bowl....chips anyone... :thumb:  :jester:

Good luck....

AliG

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:17 am »
Buddy, I recently change my cleaning method and it got rid of almost all the small "ticks/clicks" - the occasional pops (or big clicks) are in the groove that cannot be removed. Objectively, I would say 95% of my vinyls are quiet enough. I just need to get used to the 5%.

There's no going back to CDs... especially after I listened to these:

Those two really brought me to "AUDIO-gasm". I will keep buying LPs despite the noise. I really don't have the urge of listening to my CD anymore - I am using CDs as the first step to pick music that I want on LP.

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:18 am »
 :D pops & clicks on the low music parts of a record is easy to live with as the gains on the rest of the music is vast.i simply dig this medium.i wonder if those laser record players are dead quiet.i kinda think they must be at 10 grand ya think they would be ??  :D

AliG

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:20 am »
Laser record players? (I've never heard of this before..!) :o

:D pops & clicks on the low music parts of a record is easy to live with as the gains on the rest of the music is vast.i simply dig this medium.i wonder if those laser record players are dead quiet.i kinda think they must be at 10 grand ya think they would be ??  :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:22 am »

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:23 am »
:D  not sure how they can say it's analog as a laser is in the path ???? would like to hear one though ... :D  -----thks Chris-----

AliG

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:32 am »
thanks Chris (Mr. Audio Wikipedia..) :lol:

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:37 am »
Laser record players? (I've never heard of this before..!) :o

:D pops & clicks on the low music parts of a record is easy to live with as the gains on the rest of the music is vast.i simply dig this medium.i wonder if those laser record players are dead quiet.i kinda think they must be at 10 grand ya think they would be ??  :D

Hey!

I've heard it once at the show.

And if you think this will solve surface noise, ticks and pops problem. You are wrong. It still read that all those dirt and imperfection of the groove.

Actually while I was in their room. They have a record cleaning machine there and they will clean every record that show goers bought in before they play it on their laser turntable. Sadly I didn't have any of my LPs with me that day. :?

So, I would say maybe the laser turntable could be more sensitive to ticks and pop than the old fashion needle in the groove. Maybe? As for the sound, well nothing special. :?

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:47 am »
Buddy, I recently change my cleaning method and it got rid of almost all the small "ticks/clicks" - the occasional pops (or big clicks) are in the groove that cannot be removed. Objectively, I would say 95% of my vinyls are quiet enough. I just need to get used to the 5%.

Those two really brought me to "AUDIO-gasm". I will keep buying LPs despite the noise. I really don't have the urge of listening to my CD anymore - I am using CDs as the first step to pick music that I want on LP.

Hey!

Yup, for most people. Once you're hooked on listening to vinyl is hard to go back to CD.  aa

But sadly some album pressings are noisy. :? This is the price we paid for with this medium. :roll:

BTW.... returning LPs to a place where they cater to audiophile like Music Direct is much easier than retuning it to a place like a small local store or even big store like Virgin Mega store. :?

Take care,

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:52 am »
:D  good to know,the laser thing never seemed to have taken off.can't replace droppin' that needle for the groove....toooo coool and tooo goood  :D

lcrim

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2008, 11:28 am »
From the reviews of the laser vinyl player, any dirt on the record sounded like explosions, not a better solution.

AliG-Noisy vinyl playback can be minimized.  Most of my records are purchased used and therefore I had no control over how they were treated before I got ahold of them.  I never did a formal study but anecdotally, I doubt if more than one in ten is unacceptable.  Clean records and a clean stylus plus a well set up deck are still key. 
I have experienced other things than the vinyl front end causing flawed playback.  In one case, the speaker cables allowed high frequency ringing.  Because of the high gain involved in phono sections, I managed to use my condo's wiring as a radio receiver.  Personally, the difference in playback on material I own in both mediums is most detectable not by the occasional bits of surface noise on analog but by the relative flatness and lack of color in the sound of digital playback.  I think you should take a few records to whoever has a well setup system and see if your new records are still noisy there.  It would answer your question.

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jun 2008, 12:59 pm »

These are a couple of great examples of Stan Ricker's mastering. When you listen to these and then toss on vinyl mastered by the other guys, you understand why I said in another post, Stan has the best mastering equipment (cutting head) in the industry.

Enjoy!

AliG

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jun 2008, 01:43 pm »
These are a couple of great examples of Stan Ricker's mastering. When you listen to these and then toss on vinyl mastered by the other guys, you understand why I said in another post, Stan has the best mastering equipment (cutting head) in the industry.

Enjoy!

Scott, I can't argue with you on that, the "Keystone" is the best quality LP amongs all the expensive ones ($50) that I got, I also bought Ray Brown's Soular Energy, Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company.  What do you think about the recent Music Matters Blue Note reissues mastered by Steve Hoffman?? I bought the first reissue: Art Blakey's Big Beat, but it's not as good as the "Keystone". But I heard that "A Night In Tunisia" is awesome so I'll probably pull another trigger today. I'm getting inflicted with LP addiction :duh:

Lcrim, I did bring some of my noisy LP to test in a different setup, I can still hear the noise (ticks/pops/clicks), but this particular setup has some high-frequency roll-off, so the noise is not as loud as in my system.

I think my setup is too "transparent" so any little noise is being amplified. In the future I'll experiment with different cartridges.