Pork Tenderloin

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Pork Tenderloin
« on: 14 Jun 2008, 09:27 pm »
It's 4:30pm and my wife just notified me I'll be cooking pork tenderloin for the family tonight.
They're used to eating at 6:30pm.  :o
Realising it's (very) short notice, anybody out there have a good recipe?
My version, despite the fact is never the same thing twice, is getting "stale", for me at least.

Ideas?

Bob

Wayner

Re: Pork Tenderloin
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2008, 10:30 pm »
No ideas for a receipe except my McLeod County Pork Producers seasoning. The only real advice is don't over-cook it!

Wayner  aa

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2008, 10:33 pm »
I like to make pork fritters out of pork tenderloins, use a meat hammer to flatten the pork (1/4”) and coat it with italian bread crumbs, fry it and pour some mushroom gravy on it. Add a couple sides dishes to it.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2008, 10:38 pm »
PeteG

:drool:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2008, 10:41 pm »
Pete, it's too late for tonight, but.......  :drool:

Are you cutting the tenderloin into medallions first, or beating the entire loin into 1/4" slab? If so, that would be huge!

NICE idea Pete! I WILL be doing that one.

Also, when you fry this, what oil do you prefer?

Bob

PeteG

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2008, 10:59 pm »
Pete, it's too late for tonight, but.......  :drool:

Are you cutting the tenderloin into medallions first, or beating the entire loin into 1/4" slab? If so, that would be huge!

NICE idea Pete! I WILL be doing that one.

Also, when you fry this, what oil do you prefer?

Bob

I cut 2”-3” of tenderloin and hammer it flat put it in a egg mix then coat it with bread crumbs. I use canola oil.

I learned how to make Jaeger schnitzel in Germany.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2008, 11:38 pm »
I like to coat the tenderloin in olive oil. Then press some freshly ground garlic into it, sprinkle with fresh ground pepper. Add some thyme, oregano, basil and smear on Grey Poupon mustard then a light coat of flour. Brown in a skillet while adding some white wine. Finish in the oven. When done pull the loin from the skillet and add more white wine to the pan,  reduce then add a little more olive oil and a hair of butter.Pour over top of tenderloin garnish and serve. :)

-Roy

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2008, 02:00 am »
i just thought this up, tell me what you think?
coat the tenderloin with mustard, a little salt, coat it with course ground black pepper and wrap in bacon.  cook on the grill.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2008, 10:20 pm »
Pete, I'll be doing your version next. Sounds pretty good.  aa

Roy, Mmm, I like yours too. I'll be attempting that one as well.

marvda, I've tried to wrap 1" thick medallions in bacon, but the bacon never even comes close to being cooked enough to eat. I've since half cooked the bacon, and then wrapped the raw medallions, but I stopped when I noticed every one of my family members was peeling the bacon off and eating it seperately.  :roll:
Also, having the mustard sealed inside the bacon may make it "weird". Browning first may work well though. Not sure as I'm not "culinary enough" to theorize what's happens to food without actually attempting it first.

Friday night, I ended up a very minor variation of my usual version. About equal sized portions of the following dry spices/seasonings:
Whole black pepper
Rosemary
Crushed red pepper
Ground Garlic

All of these were run through a coffee grinder into a course dust and sprinkled over the meat before BBQing.

Bob

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2008, 07:02 pm »
Pork tenderloins marinated in jerk paste and smoked are pretty darn tasty. (mentioned in Jerk thread) In a 'hot' smoker, they can cook pretty fast, so be sure to use a probe thermometer. I think they look sort of nasty after smoking..... brown, frankly slug like things, so I would slice up for presentation.  :)

I usually served what I called Jamacian slaw as a side.....the usual cole slaw (w/ preferably shedded not chopped cabbage & homemade mayo) but the addition of allspice gives it that island 'thing'. I have no idea if they have slaw in jerk shacks....just something I made up. I always liked slaw as a garnish for pulled pork BBQ.

Gordy

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2008, 08:10 pm »
Like PeteG, I like to sometimes cut them into medallions and, when pounding them, I put them in large zip-locks to keep my wooden cutting board relatively pork free. 

For ~1 Lb.

Toss the 1/4" medallions with flour, S & P and brown with butter in a large skillet.  As the medallions are browned, remove to a plate and keep warm.  When all are browned add some more butter and dry vermouth to deglaze.  Add 3 Tbs. Capers and 1/3 cup minced fresh dill and saute for a minute or so.  Toss the pork in the sauce, remove to a platter and serve.

This was originally a veal recipe but, I almost always use the other white meat instead...