Curry Chicken w/Fruit Rice

sts9fan

Curry Chicken w/Fruit Rice
« on: 12 Jun 2008, 12:55 pm »
A few years back I was briefly in Freiburg Germany and I had something like this.  I recreated it when I got home with a few twists of my own.  It was almost like an Irish Curry but creamier.  I am not going to give exact amts for this mainly because I have never measured anything.  Its pretty easy if you have made a béchamel before.

1 Chicken
2 cups chicken broth  (made from bones of the chicken)
2 cups whole milk
~1/2 heavy cream
1 stick of salted sweet butter
Curry powder (I like http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysmaharajah.html because it is sweet and the saffron gives the sauce a great color)
Flour
salt
~1.5 cups White rice
1 banana
some strawberry ~6
1 green apple

Roast the chicken in the oven and remove all the meat.  This can be done the day before and put in a Tupperware in the fridge.  Make a strong broth with the bones and gut.  Or buy it from a box which I do quite often.  With the milk, flour and broth make a medium thick béchamel.  I am no chef so I don't know if this is a true  béchamel because I put broth in it but I don't really care either.  Add the stick of butter, cream salt and curry powder to the  béchamel.(This is a very rich sauce) You should now have a medium thick velvety smooth yellow sauce.  Add all the chicken meat to the sauce and keep warm.

Simple Fruit Rice
cook  rice
chop fruit very fine maybe 1/2cm cubes
mix everything together right before serving.  Fold gently to prevent the strawberries from staining the rice too much.
I like a good rice to fruit ratio going.  Maybe 3:1?

Serve with creamy chicken curry.
This is not a diet food

some young guy

Re: Curry Chicken w/Fruit Rice
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2008, 08:21 pm »
Sounds tasty! When the béchamel contains stock, it's velouté.

I make a Thai curry that's somewhat similar (at least as far as the curry/fruit idea goes). I use a lot of shallots, garlic, galagal, ginger, Kaffir lime leaf, Chinese curry powder, red curry paste, banana, granny Smith apple and coconut milk. This is awesome when you simmer mussels in it.  :drool: