Alicia Silverstone

bassboy

Alicia Silverstone
« on: 12 Jun 2008, 08:11 am »
Does anybody know the girl I'm talking about?  (I don't mean personally of course)  I only ask because I think the general population here is slightly older than I am.

The year was 1993, she would have been about 16 and I was a couple of years older than that at the time.  THIS appeared out of nowhere like a bolt of lightning to the head and scrambled my brain forever.

It was not a particularly good movie, but the girl...  Where did she come from, I wondered.  Why haven't I seen her before?  Where can I see her again?  (I'm sure this lust at first sight kind of thing has happened to everyone at some point, but probably with a different girl - or guy or whatever floats yer boat)  This was about 10 years before I had internet, so all I could do was wonder.  But I literally would have figured out a way to run myself over with a bus if it meant I could see her again.  This was the girl as far as I was concerned.  Since that day I have never been able to fully appreciate any other female. 

She followed it up with an aerosmith video for the song Cryin'.  As far as I know this turned out to be the most popular video EVER and I think it still retains this crown.  She gets a tatoo and a naval piercing in the video, and I've heard it mentioned more than a few times that she is primarily responsible for dragging the body art business kicking and screaming into the public spotlight and massive popularity it enjoyed for years after, which obviously still continues to this day.  She also fakes suicide in the video by jumping off a bridge into traffic below, only to be saved by a bungee cord (which actually looked a lot more like wire in which case it would have broken her back, but that's not the point), and I'm sure this helped the whole bungee business as well.  For a period of several months if not a full year this screen shot from that video depicting her dangling from a bridge seemed to be the single most used image on mtv, muchmusic, etc, used as a background for numerous promotions, advertisements and such at almost every commercial break.  (If this image is not acceptable I'm happy to remove it but I think it's pretty tame by today's standards)

She followed that with 2 more aerosmith videos, and the trio turned out to be aerosmith's most popular videos of all time.

Then came Clueless, which was described as a juggernaut and a sleeper hit.  Still not oscar material by any stretch but it made a lot of money and as far as I'm concerned it cemented her firmly (in my mind at least) as the most desireable female of all time.

Then I somehow lost track of her for over a decade, and upon searching for her recently (online of course) I was shocked to find that somehow the girl that changed the world made a very wrong turn at some point.  Even now I can't believe that would have been possible.  WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

Her turn in batman and robin a year after clueless won her several awards for worst supporting actress.  AFAIK this was the lowest grossing (and rated) of the batman series, and I've seen comments that suggest that she alone was responsible for ruining the entire batman franchise.  I saw that movie and I'd have to say the only problem with it is that it has batman and other supporting characters are in it.  Maybe I'm biased but I think she's the only redeeming quality in the history of batman.

She did a few things after that, nothing particularly noteworthy, and even her worst movies can be fixed by editing out any scenes she does not appear in (yes, I'm that shallow.  It should be noted that she is actually not a bad actress, even though I don't think a lot of her later work (especially the made for tv stuff) is worth seeing except for that fact that she's on screen.  Given the right script and all the rest, I believe she could change the world again at any moment.  So again, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

Was it batman that offended everyone?
Was it the outspoken vegan lifestyle?  (She recently a nude peta ad and nude photoshoot and she's still smokin hot)
Was it bad professional decisions?
Does anybody except me even care?
What is wrong with this world?

I don't blame her, she's just a girl doing what she does, but considering the fact that she was probably the most wildly successful, bankable new mtv/movie star of the day in/for her age group somebody dropped the ball somewhere...

TheChairGuy

Re: Alicia Silverstone
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2008, 12:56 pm »
We in San Fran tend to read a lot about Alicia Silverstone....she was born here - and quite outspoken (veganism, eco-conservatism and PETA seem to be her causes).

You didn't mention it, but she also had a failed TV series a few years ago....Miss Match...which she was critically hailed and was actually a pretty good show.  It don't last a season I don't think  :roll:

I wouldn't cry much for her slightly sagging career - she's doing just fine as a 'B' actress in Hollyweird.

John

bassboy

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2008, 07:18 pm »
That show is on COSMO channel daily, I don't like it much.  I actually think it's a flagrant abuse of her potential.  It's certainly not the worst thing on tv but the girl has done shakespeare, and apparently she did it very well, so I know she can do better.  OTOH, I thought Blast from the Past was great, proving she has the range to go from theatre to braindead comedy.  Oh well...

Anyway, to add some perspective, I'll stop  :drool: for a minute and say that I wouldn't ever want to actually meet her (that would spoil everything) and I don't think I would even like her much in real life but I was really a huge fan and it seems like her career started with the strength of a force of nature and then... suddenly... not so much.

It's the stuff you see in your formative years (yeah I was still "forming" at 18) that sticks with you for a lifetime I guess.  This probably also explains why (some people) still listen to acdc and judas priest and twisted sister despite otherwise being perfectly rational individuals.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2008, 07:59 pm »
Everything you ever wanted to know (but were afraid to ask) about Alicia.
Just for you Mr. BB:

Biography
http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=2:65707~T1

Filmography
http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=2:65707~T2

Just don't 'do it' til you need glasses.  :wink:

Bob

nodiak

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2008, 11:44 pm »
Not up on the star yadda yadda... but Blast From The Past is a favorite comedy of mine.   

ltr317

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2008, 12:12 am »
I first saw her in Clueless and I still think she's yummy. 

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2008, 02:37 am »
Not up on the star yadda yadda... but Blast From The Past is a favorite comedy of mine.   

I was really surprised how much I enjoyed that movie. And as odd as it is to say, it was one of C.Walken's best performances. I don't think Walken gets enough credit for his versatility, but this movie was exhibit A of his comedic sense and his abilities in the areas of delivery and timing.  :thumb:

nodiak

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2008, 03:12 am »
Agreed. I always giggle when I see it on the rack when browsing movies, probably watch it once a year. I really thought everybody played their parts very well, and a great concept for a simple comedy. Walken and Sissy Spacek were ridiculously funny. Archbishop Melkor and his followers...alot of funny parady's. It was basically just a high quality sharp and goofy 2 hour sitcom.
Oh and Alicia is definitely a hottie bassboy! That curly mouth trip is sweet.  :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2008, 08:23 am »
Alicia's PETA pose....here... :wink:

bassboy

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2008, 08:57 am »
Thanks Bob, I've seen that link before.  There's a couple of minor errors there, no big deal though.  I'm wondering if this following quote from the article was a mistake in journalism on the part of allmovie, or if she actually thought this would work...

She also won the coveted role of Batgirl in Batman & Robin, something that allowed her to contemplate breaking out of the teen sexpot mode.

Hmmm... she wanted to break out of the role of the teen sexpot by playing a teen that likes to dress in skintight rubber in a movie geared towards a male teen audience... makes sense to me.

I'll give this article credit for mentioning the weight issue (which is not an issue as far as I'm concerned) but they did stop short of covering her main passions (it didn't mention her husband at all, or her affiliation with peta, or the veganism, etc) all of which are kinda major turn offs which probably hurt her career more than her actual work (with the exception of the nude ad, of course).  There is one quoteable mention of her personal life though - and it actually probably explains a lot about what seems like a love/hate relationship with her own fame.

She began working as a child model at the age of six after her father sent several pictures of her in a bathing suit to a few agencies.

On another note, she has played opposite Christopher Walken (who is the best male actor in the entire industry IMO - and btw I read recently that he NEVER turns down any role unless he absolutely has to which explains his massive body of work) at least twice already, the second time being in Excess Baggage (which she produced under her own label), although no one in the world except me seemed to like it.  I liked it a lot but I thought the male lead was horribly miscast - don't get me wrong, I like Benicio a lot and he did a good job but it didn't click for me.

Ok, so you see my point here?  The girl gets great reviews for a musical version of Shakespeare (even though the play itself was not reviewed well, but duh, musical Shakespeare what did they think would happen!?!), she co stars and produces Christopher Walken movies and she's got the looks to pull off a full length movie playing the part of a girl sleeping for 2 hours straight.  WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?  How on earth can you go from that to being a B list movie star?

Want to see the nude peta ad?  I thought so.  (Link below)  This is an example of why I adore her.  Gratuitous nudity for absolutely no good reason with a big helping of stupidity and a heaping spoonful of symbiotic hypocrisy.  (Nobody is perfect and I think flaws are sexy)  Quote taken directly from the peta site.

...when I see a steak, it makes me feel sad and sick because right away, I see my dog or the amazing cows I met at a sanctuary.

I know next to nothing about peta but I know enough to know that they do not condone the captivity of animals in any form and believe it be a crime against nature - they do not condone pets at all and I would assume this would extend to sanctuaries as well (especially the petting zoos that call themselves sanctuaries).  OTOH, peta seems to be happy to let her say whatever she likes in exchange for nude photos, although I can't be too critical of them for that as I follow the same guidelines myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEGSBBxlmPw

bassboy

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2008, 10:34 am »
removed - sorry about that

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2008, 10:41 am »
Yes...that will look nice on the office computer at work.... :lol:

(thats why I posted a ...link)

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2008, 12:26 pm »
I don't think she actually has ever shown the goods in a movie