Herbs and Spices

MaxCast

Herbs and Spices
« on: 11 Jun 2008, 07:44 pm »
What's the key to good combinations?  Are there any rules of thumb one should go by?  How do you know if you are "over" spicing?  One day I realized I was using garlic in every dish I prepared.   Another day I was throwing in just about everything in the cupboard. 
I miss my little herb garden at our former house.  I gotta get one going again.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Herbs and Spices
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2008, 08:01 pm »
Garlic is good for you Rich,, don't stop using it. In fact get a garlic crusher and start using the fresh stuff. I go thru a clump of garlic every couple of weeks or so. I use to use a lot of garlic salt til I got my crusher, now I forgo with the salt and just use fresh garlic. :thumb:

As for the mixing of spices in general,,,, I got nothing. :lol: I usually stick to the recipe if I'm using one. Hopefully some of the more experienced chef's will have more to say tho. :o

Cheer's,
Robin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2008, 08:05 pm »
What's the key to good combinations?  Are there any rules of thumb one should go by?

There's nothing like experience.  Just don't put everything you have on hand together and expect much.

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:04 pm »
As one cooks more and gains experience, you become familiar with "classic" combinations in various ethnic cuisines. For instance; turmeric/cumin, rosemary/thyme, lemongrass/basil, oregano/basil, etc. Some like garlic/ginger root are so polycultural they can be incorporated in many culinary combos. You'll soon be coming up with your own combinations based on familiar themes. It pays to study geographically proximate cultures to see how food evolves from place to place to get a sense of how similar ingredients can be spiced. An excellent cookbook that's written with this sense of history and exploration is "A Mediterranean Feast," by Clifford Wright. It won the James Beard cookbook of the year award several years ago. It's over 750 pages and 500 recipes exploring how food evolved and differs in the entire Mediterranean region. The reason I mention this cuisine first is because it's essence is generally based on a few good, simple ingredients that are well, but simply spiced. You'll get overwhelmed if you dive into say Malaysian, French, or Indian food first. The logic can be harder to unravel for a beginning cook. I wouldn't worry about garlic being in nearly everything, it's a ubiquitous spice for many people. Myself included. The amount of spicing for dishes is a personal thing in large part. I tend to pump up the quantity of spices in many recipes, you just have become familiar with your cookbook author's tastes and those of people at your table. Good luck and happy eating.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:57 pm »
What's the key to good combinations?  Are there any rules of thumb one should go by?  How do you know if you are "over" spicing?  One day I realized I was using garlic in every dish I prepared.   Another day I was throwing in just about everything in the cupboard.

It depends, are you looking to make authentic ethnic dishes or just going free style? If free style, do whatever tastes good and don't worry about the rules. As you gain experience you'll learn what works well together and pleases your taste buds. You may find you likes a certain spice combination that most people would would never even think of and might not eat. If that happens, don't worry about it.

If you're going for a specific flavor profile or trying to make an authentic dish, the easiest way to learn is to start with a good cookbook and then experiment.

I'd love to have my own herb garden, but I settle for fresh herbs from the farmers markets and quality dried herbs and seasonings, most of which I buy whole on-line.

Keep in mind that even dried herbs lose their flavor over time, especially if they are ground, crushed or chopped. Peppercorns, cumin seed, fennel and other herbs retain their flavor and last much longer if you buy them whole and only crush or grind them only as you use them.

nrenter

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2008, 01:30 am »
I gotta agree with Dan. Don't be afraid to try something a bit unorthodox.

My sister gave my father a Chai-tea blend for Chrismas a couple of years back. Well, my father had no idea what the hell Chai was, and figured it was some crazy spice blend. So, he used it as a rub on some tilapia and grilled it. After dinner, everyone was asking about his about his fish recipe. Who would have thought?

some young guy

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2008, 02:53 am »

I'd love to have my own herb garden, but I settle for fresh herbs from the farmers markets and quality dried herbs and seasonings, most of which I buy whole on-line.

Keep in mind that even dried herbs lose their flavor over time, especially if they are ground, crushed or chopped. Peppercorns, cumin seed, fennel and other herbs retain their flavor and last much longer if you buy them whole and only crush or grind them only as you use them.
Just for the record; leaves and buds are herbs, seeds are spices. Dan is correct... most dried herbs and spices are good for about 6 months at best.

I built myself a nice little raised bed herb garden several years ago. It was inexpensive and easy to do. I've managed to keep it organic and it produces a pretty good amount of stuff, like beets, chard, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbers, peas, onions, sage, thyme, rosemary, parsley, oregano, lemon verbena, red leaf, mizuna, arugula, frisee, etc.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2008, 05:39 am »
Maxcast....

A little project for you and your kids....Link... 8)

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2008, 12:26 pm »
For high quality dried herbs and spices try www.penzeys.com .  There are stores around also.  They have great herb/spice mixes that can give you idea.  Plus they have a terrific selection of Middle Eastern/Indian spice mixes.  Some of my favorites things they carry are:
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysceyloncinnamon.html
pakistani crush red pepeprs
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscrushedredpepper.html
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysmaharajah.html

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2008, 12:41 pm »
I'm certainly no expert, and my experience is fairly limited.  But one thing I've started to try and think about is looking for at least 2 "flavors" to try to balance.  For example, if I know I want to start with something spicy (eg. cayenne pepper), I'll try to find at least one additional spice/flavor that will help balance it or take some of the edge off the spice...maybe something sweet, or maybe even citrus. 

spudco

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2008, 01:01 pm »
What's the key to good combinations?  Are there any rules of thumb one should go by? 

My advice is read some quality cookbooks.  Study the type of food you love and the buy or grow the herbs you need.

Although we have a large (2+ acre garden) with some area planted in herbs, we also grow quite a few in pots and planters.

A Large pot will hold a huge rosemary bush for many years.  I use low/wide pots for herb mixtures (sages, oreganos, thymes, parsleys, chives, lemon grasses, lemon balm...) - the textures and colors make for some very interesting additions to our patio gardens.  I use old wash tubs for larger plantings of stuff we use in bulk (basil, scallion, parsley, salad greens).  I just mix a lean soil mix and punch lots of holes in the bottom for drainage.  I often mix herbs and flowers in planters - just for fun...  The great thing about using pots and planters is you can move them if necessary and nearly anyone can find a place for their herb garden.

When picking out pots, stick with stuff that can stand your winter weather.  Clay pots will often crack when the temp drops.  I prefer foam composite pots because big ones are not heavy, metal - like wash tubs or plastics if they don't look to ugly.  

I have quite a few of my plants the over winter outdoors.  I have rosemary that is 12 years old, chives, sage, oregano and thyme that have lasted years.  Other stuff, you will have to plant yearly - like basils, dill, cilantro or buy plants yearly - like parsley because they are annuals or biannual.  Finally, some stuff - like lemon grass - just can't take the cold.

BobM

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2008, 01:19 pm »
For high quality dried herbs and spices try www.penzeys.com .  There are stores around also.  They have great herb/spice mixes that can give you idea.  Plus they have a terrific selection of Middle Eastern/Indian spice mixes.  Some of my favorites things they carry are:
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysceyloncinnamon.html
pakistani crush red pepeprs
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscrushedredpepper.html
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysmaharajah.html

We found Penzeys this past winter. They are located on Route 110 in Huntington Station, right by the Walt Whitman Mall on Long Island. Yes, they are a bit expensive but they have some wonderful blends available.

We also grow our own basil, rosemary and sage. And yes, experience is what counts. If you're in a decent restaurant and the waiter is telling you about the specials and you can't taste it in your mind/tongue as he is reciting how it is prepared then don't try and blend your own herbs just yet and serve it to friends. Experiment on family first.  :o

Enjoy,
Bob

Enjoy,
Bob

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2008, 04:13 pm »
For high quality dried herbs and spices try www.penzeys.com .

Penzey's is where I buy most of my seasonings. I especially like their selection of whole peppercorns.  :thumb: