Pre/Pro or Receiver recommendations...

Christof

Pre/Pro or Receiver recommendations...
« on: 11 Jun 2008, 12:43 am »
The time has come to add a 5.1-ch HT system but I can't quite get a grasp on one detail :scratch:.  First a wee bit of helpful system info: I am currently using a pair of bi-amped Selah Audio 3-ways and I've asked Rick Craig to design a 5"mtm center and matching 5" 2-way L&R rears as well as a 12" sub.  I am using an Odyssey Candela pre with a HT bypass built-in.  Power amps are Odyssey Dual Mono and Symphonic Line.  For viewing I use a somewhat dated Optoma PJ model something or another which is fed via component video through the walls and ceiling. There is no way, in terms of additional cables, to get anything but a component feed to my ceiling mounted PJ.  Oppo dvd player on the way.  We do not subscribe to cable television and I do not intend to have television in my home, just movies.

The missing link at this point would be a processor/amps or receiver.  I would like to not waste money on bells and whistles that I will not be able to utilize.  I simply need a 5.1 signal processor and good amplification.   So, knowing all that, anyone care to give their opinion as to what route you feel I should go?  I probably should mention that I do not mind buying used equipment and I'd like to keep it b/t $500-$1000.

Thanks for any recommendations.

-c

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Pre/Pro or Receiver recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2008, 01:57 am »
Something like a Lexicon MC-1 on Audiogon (I just sold a buddy's one there for $800).  Might as well use a processor rather than spending $$ on a receiver only to use it as a pre/pro, wasting $$ on its internal amps.  Lex does a great job (it's Logic7 is still considered a great 7.1 algorithm) with most surround programs, except of course the new lossless Blu-Ray audio codecs.  But if you get a BD player get one that decodes internally (not many right now that do all codecs internally, but there will be more) and send decoded PCM to the used processor.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2008, 01:12 pm by ted_b »

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2008, 02:07 am »
The Anthem AVM20 on Audiogon for $1050 is also a great choice. I use an Anthem pre-amp and amp, smooth sounds. Anthem gear is made by Sonic Frontiers.
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1217902453

Some reviews of the AVM20
http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/frames/mixfr.html

Wayne

Christof

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2008, 12:55 pm »
Thanks much, guys.  It seems most logical to go the route of separates.  Regarding the new amplification for the center/rears with my existing amplification, I assume a HT processor will allow me to timbre match everything together?  Can you tell me how much of a priority it is to match my new amps up with my old amps?  Klaus expressed the need for good matched amps in my 2-ch system so he biased both amps to match for bi-amping my Selah's.  Would it make the most sense to have him do a Stratos 3-channel amp for me or can I  get similar results by going cheaper with something like an Outlaw multichannel amp?  Again, thanks for the help.
c.

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2008, 01:14 pm »
I would try a good used receiver.  When your projector and DVD are ready for 1080P then I would get a new prepro to handle it and go to 7.1.  You can always add more Odysseys any time you want.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2008, 01:19 pm »
An HT processor will not timbre match (electronically or otherwise).  A newer pre/pro with something like Audysey or Trinov will do some sophisticated DRC (digital room correction) that will help, but there is NO substitute for buying the same speakers across the front.  Period.  I'd add that it's just as important across the back.....if you are listening to hirez music surround sources.  For movies, the theory is that you could use dipoles back there, in order to fill in empty spots and create a dffuse soundfield that is primarily composed of bullets whizzing, rainfall, thunder, space ships panning..and other foley effects.  But if you want to truly hear 24/176 DVD-A or SACD Beck Sea Change the right way, make sure all five (or seven) monitors are equivalent or identical.

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2008, 01:44 pm »
not sure how the system is set up but Chris has a very large room and direct surrounds may be better.

Christof

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2008, 02:54 pm »
I had to go with a set-up that orients the speaker firing in the short direction.  Speakers are located half way down along the brick wall on the right side of the picture and fire at the sheetrock wall on the left.  My side walls are about 18' away but my rear wall is only about 7' back from listening position.  The surrounds will be sealed and designed to be located against or just inches away from the rear wall on a shelving unit which runs the length of the wall (20' long x 5' high) and is filled, for the most part with books.   

Christof

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2008, 11:48 pm »
An HT processor will not timbre match (electronically or otherwise).  A newer pre/pro with something like Audysey or Trinov will do some sophisticated DRC (digital room correction) that will help, but there is NO substitute for buying the same speakers across the front.  Period.  I'd add that it's just as important across the back.....if you are listening to hirez music surround sources.  For movies, the theory is that you could use dipoles back there, in order to fill in empty spots and create a dffuse soundfield that is primarily composed of bullets whizzing, rainfall, thunder, space ships panning..and other foley effects.  But if you want to truly hear 24/176 DVD-A or SACD Beck Sea Change the right way, make sure all five (or seven) monitors are equivalent or identical.

Rick Craig has agreed to design me matching center/rears....3 more AirCirc 6600's :duh: and Klaus was more than willing to build me a Stratos HT3....well, there goes the budget but what's new :roll:  Unless something gets in the way I think I will go with an Anthem AV20 processor.  Thanks for the recommendations.

c.

twbrooks

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2008, 01:55 am »
Check out Emotiva gear at www.emotiva.com.  Great quality, prices and fantastic service.  Five year warranties on everything.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2008, 06:08 pm »
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1218304687

This will do a great job until you can upgrade.  Based on my experience I would stay away from Emotiva.

KKM

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2008, 01:59 pm »

This will do a great job until you can upgrade.  Based on my experience I would stay away from Emotiva.

Just curious what your experience with Emotiva is, they seem to have positive e-zine reviews on their website. I was considering their product in the future. Didn't Mark Schifter design them?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2008, 03:48 pm »

Just curious what your experience with Emotiva is, they seem to have positive e-zine reviews on their website. I was considering their product in the future. Didn't Mark Schifter design them?

I have had positive experience with EMO gear.  I still have the 7 channel amp in my HT going strong.

The early processors did not have any HDMI but new ones coming out will.

I am using the Onkyo 885 SC processor right now to take advantage of the new surround codecs and HD DVD & BluRay.

I might someday replace my amp with something even more powerful but it just keeps on going.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2008, 04:28 pm »
I just had really bad luck with their stuff the processor I sent back for a refund within the 30 day option, it just flat out sounded awful.  I kept the amp it was ok but then it blew a channel, I sent it back to be repaired and sold it.  I now have an Anthem D2 and a D-Sonic multi-channel digital amp and will never look back.

Shifter was the first to sell their product here, he did not design.  I think there are quality control issues with some of the crap that comes out of Asia, hell I even had Shifter 's speakers, Ref 2's, and they kept blowing, their gone now also and replaced with Salk HT3's and I am in total bliss.  You get what you pay for.