I read the topic title and thought someone was pinging me  :lol:

John  :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Jerk
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2008, 09:44 pm »
...  :thumb:
Actually John, the title would have said, "Dick".
Not "Jerk".  :wink:  :P

some young guy

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2008, 09:47 pm »
I though "jerk" meant it had to be scotch peppers? "Technically":dunno:

Bob
True, but habaneros are extremely close.

spudco

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2008, 09:49 pm »
Scotch Bonnet and Habanero Peppers are very close relatives and hail from the new world.  They have similar habits and are both very spicy, but have different shapes.  Either one will make a great Jerk rub, but the island dudes probably use the scotch bonnets.

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2008, 09:52 pm »
I though "jerk" meant it had to be scotch peppers? "Technically"?

they are the same species just different countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_bonnet_%28pepper%29

I am also ordering some pimentto wood(allspice) to smoke while cooking.  I have made this twice this summer and it has been good.  I tend to focus on one thing for a summer until I get it right.  This year is homemade marinades with a jerk focus. 

I have had a hard time getting the heat from fresh peppers to transfer to the meat.  My lady and I LOVE hot food. It takes a bunch of fresh Habs to make this chicken spicy even though the jerk is fire hot.  I think powder may work more efficiently but at what cost. White meat need not apply.   

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2008, 09:53 pm »
You guys are cool.  8)

Scotch "Bonnet" ... yea, that's the word I was missing.  :duh:

Bob

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2008, 09:56 pm »
This is a very thick marinade so I try to keep a bit on it while I grill. 

gitarretyp

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2008, 10:00 pm »
I prefer a dry rub (spicier, too), such as that below. You could use a glaze, as well.

3 tablespoons ground coriander
3 tablespoons ground ginger
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons habanero powder
1 tablespoon dry thyme
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground cloves

some young guy

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2008, 10:33 pm »
We actually do a lot of jerk around here. Jerk ribs are a mainstay. While I like to make my own, I realize that not everyone has the time or inclination. For a tasty alternative, I use Busha Browne's.

I think one of the best tips for making good jerk is a long marinade time. I usually shoot for 2 days. Another great use for the marinade is is spicy apple sauce. I've been making this for years and it's always a big hit. I used to use it as an accompaniment for foie gras all the time.  :thumb:

drphoto

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:44 am »
I used to get pork tenderloins and slather them w/ a commercial jerk paste similar to that shown in the previous post. Let sit for 4 hrs or so and then put them in my Brinkman electric smoker. The heat (from the peppers) transfered nicely to the meat in this case.

I'd slice 'em up and serve room temp. Always a big hit at the parties we used to throw in my old 'hood.

Gordy

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2008, 01:15 am »
This Jerk Sauce recipe came from a Jamaican chef who's mother was Chinese and father was Jamaican:

1 small onion, chopped
1/2 bunch scallions, chopped
2-3 Habs, halved
2-3 cloves garlic
1 Tbs. 5 Spice Powder
1 Tbs. Allspice
1/2 Tbs. Black Pepper
1 tsp. Thyme
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Salt
1/3 C. Soy Sauce
Juice of two Limes
2 Tbs. Oil
2 Pork Tenderloins, tied so the flap end is folded up for an even thickness.

Chop all ingredients except oil, lime and soy sauce in a processor, then slowly add oil / soy and blend/puree well.

Marinate pork for 24 hrs. for hot or 48 hrs for very hot!  I smoke mine pretty much the same way as drphoto above  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:49 am »
Scotch Bonnet and Habanero Peppers are very close relatives and hail from the new world.  They have similar habits and are both very spicy, but have different shapes.  Either one will make a great Jerk rub, but the island dudes probably use the scotch bonnets.
I have a Guyaniese friend who grows Scotch Bonnet's every year in his garden.
I mentioned to him that I enjoy a "little fire", so every year he makes up his Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce and gives me a quart. Its hot....but it hits the spot. :wink:

spudco

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:55 pm »
We grow both Scotch Bonnets and Habaneros most years.  They are slow to get started in the spring, but love our hot, humid summers.  In late summer/early fall the plants are covered with bright ripe peppers.  I always use latex gloves when harvesting and handling these peppers - they are truly HOT. 

We preserve them as canned hot sauce or pre-chopped in freezer bags.  I have tried smoking the fresh peppers and keeping refrigerated in olive oil but I was disappointed.

In addition to Jerk spicing, these peppers are great in chili and dirty rice.  I love to use the hot sauce on bean dip.

BobM

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2008, 11:17 pm »
We got this recipe from the Jamaican guy who cooked about 200 chickens a day at a resort we went to some years ago on de' island, mon.

Wash your chicken parts and rub them down with lime the night before
rub a bit of Kosher salt on them
Mix 1-2 tablespoons of Walkers Wood jerk seasoning with about 1-2 tablespoons of rum (dark is better) and 1 tablespoon of olive oil
then put on your rubber surgical gloves and rub down your chicken parts with the mixture
put the ckicken parts in a ziplock and let it sit overnight in the fridge
Cook on the BBQ grill until done, a little extra if you want the skin crispy (spalsh a little beer over the top of them if they get too hot)
then serve with Pickapeppa sauce on the side

This is as close as it gets to the real thing boys and girls. A little bit of burn da' the lips and a happy smile on de' face. Open up a Red Stripe to cool it down a bit, mon.

Enjoy,
Bob

sts9fan

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2008, 12:53 pm »
The reason I am working on this is my sister is marrying a Jamaican in Sept.  I am having the rehearsal dinner at my house.  Guess whats on the menu?  No pressure at all.  Bunch of Jamaicans coming up to eat my Jerk.  Luckily my recipe is from his Mom.  I won't use any type of pre made mix.  Just not my style.