What about capacitance loading?

AliG

What about capacitance loading?
« on: 9 Jun 2008, 03:14 pm »
I read a lot about resistence loading, but I also notice that some cartridges specify capacitance too. But I haven't seen a phonostage that can vary capacitance, so does it means the manufacturers really don't see capacitance as a big deal?

Toka

Re: What about capacitance loading?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2008, 03:29 pm »
Depending on the cart, it can matter a lot...there are some pre-amps that will let you adjust capacitance but they are few and far between. Just being aware of the capacitance of your setup (which includes tonearm wires and IC's) can be a big help.

GBB

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2008, 03:34 pm »
I read a lot about resistence loading, but I also notice that some cartridges specify capacitance too. But I haven't seen a phonostage that can vary capacitance, so does it means the manufacturers really don't see capacitance as a big deal?

Capacitance loading only matters for MM cartridges.  I'm a pretty hard core MC cartridge fan these days but in the past I was known to spin vinyl with Shures and ADCs and Grados.  My old preamp, a Threshold FET2, had a switch on the back to change capacitive loading but I could never hear a difference when flipping it.  I know that theoretically there is an ideal capacitive load for any cartridge but in my old systems it didn't seem to be too important.

---Gary

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2008, 03:51 pm »
There's a few phono stages that offer capacitance loading...but, like Gary/GBB, I didn't hear much a difference when I toggled in different values.

One that I did was the old ADC XLM MK. III Improved....always a pretty nice sound to it, it got more 'uniform' in presentation when I had it at the right setting.  But, that was the only one that it seemed to matter among several MM's.

With MC's, they are electrically superior to MM/MC's (but some feel, mechanically inferior) and impervious to changes in capacitance loading due to ultra-low levels of internal inductance, so it has no effect at all on them unless you add very very high amounts of capacitance to the mix (which never happens).

John

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2008, 04:02 pm »

Hey!

I agreed with Gary/GBB on this. If you are talking about MC cart this is less critical than say resistant loading.

But keep in mind that the signal path from your cart with cable, connectors and etc already have some capacitance adding to it... some cable have more or less. If you are doing capacitance loading than you will need to take these in to account of the total number. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

AliG

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2008, 04:28 pm »
Hmm....looks like there're no MM fans in this forum?? :lol: Looks like I'm in the right path, my current cart is a Dynavector 20-XH

Recently a thread on audiogon from Raul Iruegas really got me interested in trying out some MM. But my phono has 50dB gain, so the gains in MM carts will probably blow me out of my room  :duh:

Photon46

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2008, 05:09 pm »
AliG, not sure what your phono pre setup is. If you have a separate phono preamp, you can use a pair of Rothwell attenuators between the phono pre and your linestage to reduce gain. They are very transparent, no deleterious effects at all. Raul's threads definitely promote MM cartridges don't they? I'm using Garrott Bros. top MM right now, the Optim FGS. I find it to be a very credible performer. I see that Nagoaka is now importing a new line of MM's as well, their top line model looks interesting to me.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2008, 05:59 pm »
Hmm....looks like there're no MM fans in this forum?? :lol: Looks like I'm in the right path, my current cart is a Dynavector 20-XH

Recently a thread on audiogon from Raul Iruegas really got me interested in trying out some MM. But my phono has 50dB gain, so the gains in MM carts will probably blow me out of my room  :duh:

There's a lot to like about MM's....but most vinylphools end up with MC's due to their (inherent) electrical superiority.  As it's a vinylphool likely to spend larger money to realize the benfits of moving coils.....they are willing to spend to money to own them (primarily)

I am the ordained pimp for Grado around here.....which is almost a hybrid of sorts in the MM and MC camps.  It is a moving iron (most similar to moving magnet in operation) yet has electrically superior numbers for inductance and DC resistance....almost (but not quite) those of moving coil cartridges. 

To me, they most meaningfully bring the realization of better mechanics of a MM with the transparency, treble extension, and imaging of MC's. 

As many tests as I've made with a host of cartridges...the Grado's sound consistently the most realistic like live music to me  :guitar: (especially with piano...normally, my reference instrument to index my hearing)

John 

AliG

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2008, 06:05 pm »
AliG, not sure what your phono pre setup is. If you have a separate phono preamp, you can use a pair of Rothwell attenuators between the phono pre and your linestage to reduce gain. They are very transparent, no deleterious effects at all. Raul's threads definitely promote MM cartridges don't they? I'm using Garrott Bros. top MM right now, the Optim FGS. I find it to be a very credible performer. I see that Nagoaka is now importing a new line of MM's as well, their top line model looks interesting to me.

Raul told me to get a Nagaoka MP-50, its output is only 2.5mV so it's perfect for my setup. But then he told me to load the cart with 100k Ohm  :(  which means I'll have to open up my phono (made by Dodd Audio) and cut out and soldering in a new resistor. Is there a smarter way of adding resistor in series? Mine already have 47kOhm, so if I can add a 50kOhm resistor in series that should be close enough.

mjosef

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2008, 11:30 pm »
Mine already have 47kOhm, so if I can add a 50kOhm resistor in series that should be close enough
You may have to lift one end to 'add' resistance, in series.

fsimms

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:38 am »
Mine already have 47kOhm, so if I can add a 50k ohm resistor in series that should be close enough.

If you put a 50k ohm resistor in series, you will have 50 + 47= 97k ohm loading.  You would need to put a 100 ohm resistor in parallel to have a 100 ohm loading.