iTunes with Alloysoft Signal (and the Isabella with DAC)

wilsynet

This is somewhat off topic as it's orthogonal to RWA.  Having said that, I know Vinnie is a fan of USB DACs (hence, the forthcoming Isabella with USB DAC) and other RWA circle members here may be interested.

I'm presently using an old Apple Powerbook G4 with iTunes (lossless of course) as a transport, together with a USB DAC and the RWA 30.2.

I started using this application:

http://www.alloysoft.com/

Which works splendidly with the iPhone, the iPod Touch, and the web browser on my laptop (not the Powerbook acting as a transport).  The interface occasionally lags a little on the iPhone, but nevertheless, this is a fantastic remote.  Better in my opinion in terms of flexibility, convenience and function than anything else out there.  If you want to use a PC as the transport, no problem, the Alloysoft Signal application works just as well with the PC and iTunes.

So if you're thinking of the Isabella and its built-in USB DAC, and iTunes and how this can transform for the better the way you browse and select music for playback, know that there's a wonderful world of convenience out there.

low.pfile

Re: iTunes with Alloysoft Signal (and the Isabella with DAC)
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2008, 08:19 pm »
W,
Signal, by Alloysoft, has been discussed a little over on this Empirical's forum thread . I use it as well. It works as described at the alloysoft site. Good tool.
Ed

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2008, 08:19 pm »
too fast with the clicky.... dbl post

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2008, 02:38 am »
Hi wilsynet,

Thanks for the recommendation!  8)

I plan to get the new iPhone when it comes out next month and will definitely give this a try!  :hyper:

Best regards,

Vinnie

mattyturner

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:22 am »
When the new iPhone comes out, with the simultaneous launch of the App store there will be much better baked applications rather than just web interfaces coming out to do remote control.

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2008, 02:29 am »
Signal from Alloysoft is good and the developer Matt is very quick to respond to support requests. Remote Buddy is another good remote app for the iPhone & iPod Touch.

The native iPhone application I am really waiting for is iControl. There has been a little talk about it thus far. Things are only getting better!

wilsynet

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2008, 03:32 am »
I upgraded my iPhone to the v2 firmware release today (required manual steps), the same firmware that will go out via iTunes to all iPhones tomorrow, and simultaneously released with the new 3G iPhone.

The new iPhone application store was open today, and from the App Store you can get the free Apple iTunes Remote application.

It's terrific, wonderful, stunning, add your favourite superlative here with respect to ease of use, responsiveness, etc.  If you're using a Macintosh or PC as source, USB DAC, or even an Apple Airport Express and you've got an iPhone or iPod Touch, there's really no reason to use anything else.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2008, 04:53 am »
I upgraded my iPhone to the v2 firmware release today (required manual steps), the same firmware that will go out via iTunes to all iPhones tomorrow, and simultaneously released with the new 3G iPhone.

The new iPhone application store was open today, and from the App Store you can get the free Apple iTunes Remote application.

It's terrific, wonderful, stunning, add your favourite superlative here with respect to ease of use, responsiveness, etc.  If you're using a Macintosh or PC as source, USB DAC, or even an Apple Airport Express and you've got an iPhone or iPod Touch, there's really no reason to use anything else.

Hi wilsynet,

Thanks for the info.  I do not yet have the iPhone but since my cell phone is getting old and beat, I'm most likely going to get one.  I also have a MacBook as my music server and love it.  Can you provide any links that explain the steps to make an iPhone or iPod Touch act as a remote?  Any info would be appreciated... I want to do this!

Thanks again for sharing your findings!

Vinnie

wilsynet

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2008, 06:53 pm »
The Apple iPhone Remote application is described here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/remote/

Prequisites:

1. The latest version of iTunes.  As of the date of this posting, that's iTunes 7.7.
2. Either an iPod Touch with the latest software upgrade, or the first generation iPhone with the latest software installed, or the 3G iPhone which already has the latest software installed.
3. iTunes on your Mac/PC registered/authorized with your Apple Store/iTunes account.
4. A wireless access point.

The Mac/PC that you want to control needs to be on the same network as the 802.11 wireless network that your iPhone is using.  The remote control performs pairing, handshaking and command and control using the wireless network, so your computer with iTunes also has to be on the same network.

[ Note that this does not necessarily mean your (say) Macbook needs to be 802.11 connected.  For example, if you have an Airport Extreme which is a home router, NAT, wireless access point, and 4 port ethernet switch all rolled into one, it would be sufficient to connect the Macbook to the Airport Extreme via ethernet, and configure the iPhone to connect to the SSID (802.11 network name) of the Airport Extreme. ]

Assuming all pre-requisites met:

1. Go to the iPhone main menu.  Ensure that it is successfully using your home wireless network.  If you are having trouble doing this, then refer to these documents (or PM me):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/internet/
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559

2. Launch the AppStore application on the iPhone.
3. Search for "remote".  "Apple Inc. Remote" should show up.  Select it.
4. Once "Remote" application is selected, it should pop up another screen.  Click on the button labeled "Free".
5. The "Free" button should change to "Install".  Click on "Install" and it should start your download.
6. You may be prompted for your Apple/iTunes user account, which you should dutifully enter and proceed along.
7. Once downloaded, the application will install itself in the main menu.
8. Launch the "Remote" application from the main menu.  The application should start ...
9. Select "Change Library"
10. Select "Add Library"
11. You will now be shown a 4 digit code.  This is required for a successful initial pairing.
12. Open iTunes on your Mac/PC. The iPhone should show up in the device list of the leftmost panel of the iTunes Application window.  If it doesn't show up, then there's something wrong with the network/host/iPhone configuration, or your wireless network is filtering broadcast messages.
13. In iTunes on the Mac/PC, select the iPhone, and there should be some selection that prompts you for the 4 digit code as per step 11.
14. And you're done!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2008, 01:13 am »
Hi wilsynet,

Thanks so much for posting this information! 

I'll be heading to my Apple Store in the next week or two and will get the iPhone 3G and will try it with my macbook.  Looking forward to it!  :hyper:

Thanks again,

Vinnie