Misinformation on Forums.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Misinformation on Forums.
« on: 7 Jun 2008, 04:13 pm »
Hi All,

This is a bit of a rant but I had to get it out of my system.

Has anyone noticed as I have that there appears to be a lot of 'MISINFORMATION' out there on many of these discussion type forums. I know I try to provide as factual information as possible and if I don't know I try to find out.

I received some questions today about our CD Player from a potential customer that linked to some totally incorrect technical information about the player. So should I be joining those forums to add corrections or should I just leave things alone as it may never end.

james

Phil A

Re: Misinformation on Forums.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2008, 04:41 pm »
James, it's a personal choice.  I've seen people from different cos. register to correct such information.  I'd imagine that it could lead to some add'l nuisance depending on who posted the misinformation and where it is posted.  There are forums I belong to that I seldom post on.  On one, for instance, there are a couple of guys who pretty much know absolutely zero (one knows zero and the other has some minor technical expertise) about high end audio and have no experience (and I mean none) with it who insist that basically all CD players sound the same.  After $500 you're a moron paying psyco-acoustics that you think you'll hear.  The forum is one with paid subscriptions (different levels - e.g. yearly, lifetime) and non-paid membership (what I have) and also gets revenue from other sources.  Under such conditions, the so-called moderators really don't moderate for example the way they here or the way I do on a particular home theater forum to keep people respectful of others' opinions.  So before you jump in the pool, you might want to look to see if there is water.  If it is something I'm a member of, I'd be more than happy to post a link to the right info and indicate if they had questions they could E-Mail you at your E-Mail address.  Just send me a PM.  I really don't mind being called a moron, honest :green:

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2008, 04:44 pm »
If I were a manufacturer, I'd want correct any incorrect technical information posted in on line forums, nothing wrong with that. Things tend to get unproductive and just devolve into shouting matches when discussing subjective aspects of audio performance though. It's probably best not to rise to that sort of bait.

jethro

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2008, 08:19 pm »
I agree with Photon46 - I would want to correct non-subjective information regarding my company's products.

The funny thing is that people will still argue with you.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2008, 08:23 pm »
I agree with Photon46 - I would want to correct non-subjective information regarding my company's products.

Endlessly.... and they have more time than you do.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2008, 09:18 pm »

You mean, a maker makes the word correct, and the writer of wrong things written is not by truth smitten?
 :o
This really happens? It's like a bad copy of Shakespeare... :roll:

Imperial

cryoparts

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2008, 09:48 pm »
This forum is not too bad, methinks.  But, there are some other forums out there...   :duh:

I've found it best to just state the facts, correct any misinformation, and then just back off and let the battle rage. 

One of my favorite West Wing quotes:

CJ (to Josh about Donna): "Didn't you teach that girl not to engage a chicken?"

That probably won't make sense to anyone who didn't watch the show, but...

Peace,

Lee
Endlessly.... and they have more time than you do.

TONEPUB

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2008, 09:50 pm »
HI James:

I deal with this all the time...

Considering the rate at which bad news travels, I think it would be good to a certain extent.
It's easy to spend all your time doing damage control, but within reason it helps, because
you do get a chance to police your information a bit and most of the time if the contact
from the mfr is good spirited it can even work to your advantage.

There will always be the grumpy ones who will give you a hard time no matter what
you say, but the decent humans in the audience see what's going on and respond
accordingly.  And those are the people you are trying to reach in the first place.

Good luck!

PS:  For more info on this subject go to Amazon and order yourself a copy
of "Radically Transparent".  It's one of the best books on this subject I've ever
read and will not only answer a lot of your questions, but will give you some
additional insight into this problem.

Imperial

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2008, 09:56 pm »
I think this forum related matter is like this:

On some sites there may be Bryston product users, and if they are active dudes, eventually
they will post about their acquisitions - if people ask questions, and such.

So, eventually someone posts a fault, now the good thing here, as displayed by the mail you got
Mr Tanner, is that it really is up to each customer to check out the necessary specs to see if a component will
work.
One might have pre-determined set of requirements that one is hunting for, and a totally wrong set of spec on a forum
could make for a quick decision to go elsewhere, and one will miss out on a more precise picture... as it were.

How to combat such a scenario...

I think the important angle for a customer buying Bryston is that it has a good reputation( promise of good sound) and a very long
warranty period...
---
If the wrong specs won't cause a direct systems failure or a "problem" technically...(a direct electrical missmatch..) when one auditions the Bryston product in the system in question - the system the user asking for said specs... has - when getting the wrong specs told on a forum... then there is no reason I think, to post a correction.

The reason for this is simple, eventually a customer will arrive at the product he or she was aiming for, one way or the other.
The focus, I think is to defend the basic values one wants the product to be known for, and that a customer can attest to the truth given by using a product and it indeed works as advertised, if you may - and then writes about it, on say a forum...
This then, proof of the pudding, would suffice.
Wrong posts be damned, let them sail their own seas, eventually they won't float anyones boat anyway.

Imperial

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2008, 10:04 pm »
I couldn't disagree more on the "wrong posts be damned" approach.

If you present your case for Bryston in a friendly, approachable manner,
even if someone doesn't buy Bryston that day or even decides that Bryston
is not the hifi product for them, (and that's hard because no one wants
to be told they don't have an attractive baby) the people on the sidelines
will see your friendliness and availability.

In the end that will earn Bryston a lot more customers, even if you aren't
vindicated that day.

Imperial

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2008, 10:25 pm »
Yes, maybe I was a bit imprecise with what I was trying to say there.
I agree with the way one could go about things if one chooses to write or then correct something that
is wrong.

But I was implying that the main goal has to be to concentrate on defending the basic set of values
one wants ones firm to keep building on.
Winning an argument at all costs, may not be in ones best interests... then...
"wrong things be damned" at a certain level one then does not persue the matter any further.
But basically,  so I agree on those accounts on the matter.

On a forum where I have a user, people around a product, dealers and so on defend this product so fiercely
that it actually hurts the product, so I believe one should keep ones defences up to a certain point, but not above.

To concentrate on the customer that already has the product, and to then maintain, by that customer, because
a happy customer is the best defence, continuance of reputation.

There will be faults written about a product, and there will be producers wanting to correct these errors.
What does one then hope the correcting part will accomplish.
Is this beneficial... you could say, then, to whom?

I exclude THIS forum of course, in my musings here. Home turf; is home turf.

Imperial

Philistine

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2008, 11:23 pm »
James,
A number of circle owners here, Jim Salk and Dan Wright plus others (they spring to mind), handle this very well - they present an educated authoritative position to clarify issues and move on.  I believe this works in their favor, they do not engage in debate and this builds up credibility and respect within a forum.  On the other hand, for example, a well known manufacturer (who competes with Bryston and also produces great product) engages regularly in debate on another forum - which for me negatively impacts on the brand image.  Both Jim and Dan lead by example and take the high ground, which I consider strengthens the Salk and Modwright brands.

Toka

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:24 am »
Yea, its a fine line you must walk...say nothing and the false information becomes "law", say too much and you become a lightning rod for inter-dweebs with nothing else to do. There are certainly some sites that would be worth your time, and others that are best avoided...pick a Top 5 or so and kill 'em with kindness.  8)

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2008, 04:15 am »
James, I say go for it...make your statement(s) and leave it at that.

smerlas

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2008, 11:45 pm »
James,

You could simply provide literature and links to both Bryston's website and to this forum.  At the risk of offending anyone, if you are serious about equipment and Bryston than you will perform a search, or others will point you in the direction of this forum.  If you are serious about evaluating the equipment and investing in it you will want to hear what other owners have to say.  Therein lies one of the values of this forum.

On other forums you may encounter a mentality that says "of course he is going to say those things, he works for them".  Here you get to read owners questions, comments and your (Bryston's) representation.

If you look at the number of "visitors" and what they are reviewing I think you will see people "outside" of AudioCircle already searching here for information.

If someone is truly intersted in learning and acquiring information they will be open to hear what you have to say even if it is different or counters their opinion on a matter.  If they want to argue a point or or argue opinions then they are going to argue even in the face of facts.  You can generally figure these people out by their responses and inability to be satisfied or there need to convince you are their opinion.  With these people regardless of the forum you can point them in the direction of water you can not make them drink.

Chasing all the forums to provide true and accurate information could become overwhelming.

But as you have shown all of us, your dedication and belief in the equipment is without limits and not a "sales gimmick".