Visa B200 or Hempacoustics FR8C ?

bernard991

Visa B200 or Hempacoustics FR8C ?
« on: 7 Jun 2008, 02:34 pm »

am contemplating an OB design with either of the 2 above FR spkrs w/ 2 15" woofs per side .....
I see that the B200 is  very popular but less is known about the Hemp offering ...however it is a bit cheaper
anyone want to wade in ?

thanks !
Bernard

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Visa B200 or Hempacoustics FR8C ?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2008, 02:50 pm »
I would recommend these: http://www.hemptonespeakers.com/ss.html  over the Hempacoustics.

Lin

nodiak

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2008, 06:05 pm »
I had B200's and Hemp Acc. first version FR8's at the same time. To me they're generally close with the B200's being more forward, a bit stronger midbass, and a bit better power handling on ob = ballsier to some degree. The Hemp FR8's seem a bit smoother and more listenable/musical to me = kinder gentler to some degree. I felt they seperated the notes a little better and laid them out easier to digest. I kept the hemps, and they still keep winning over all comers, for me, imo, fwiw... But the B200's are more popular it seems, and I never hated them myself.
Am using hemps now with 15" vintage Philips woofers on ob. Working out better since (today) I messed with the xo. I'm tempted to try the Alpha 15 that seems to be working with all kinds of widerangers via MJK's formula.
I've had the Hemp Acoustics FR8's since they came out, this first version was reportedly a 100% hempcone. The story that has dribbled down is that because of legalities Hemp Acoustics could no longer use 100% hemp cones and so they came up with the Hempmatrix cones. I don't know which is sonically better, but afaik the only 100% hemp cones available are now from A Brown Sun as Hemptone, or Omegas line.
Because mine are supposedly 100% hemp cones as are the Hemptone - and because for some never explained reason (!) the graphs and specs and pictures seem identical (zup!*) I'll make one of those unsupportable statements and say the Hemptones should sound as nice as the ones I'm using (better perhaps?). Were I to buy another pair I'd get those over the unknown Hempmatrix, because I really like the tone of mine.
But YMMV...and all in all I doubt you'd hate any hemp or the B200's. Point being as always it's down to personal tastes, assoc. gear, room, political persuassion, what deal comes along.
Waded a little deeper than expected there...
Don
* I "read in a forum" that the first batch for both companies was the same driver...?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2008, 06:33 pm »
Don,
Does your Hemp FR8 have a whizzer cone?

Thanks,
Lin
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2008, 08:53 pm by opnly bafld »

nodiak

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2008, 07:44 pm »
Lin, yes originally. I've removed them and added phase plugs. I will eventually EnABL them, and maybe put the whizzers back then. I haven't critically compared with vs. without whizzers, but I don't seem to be missing treble range.
Are there FR8 types without whizzers? Meaning "fullrange" and not designed to need a tweeter for fullrange.
Don

bernard991

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2008, 09:42 pm »
thanks for your interesting notes Don ....so I take it you are happy w/ the 1st gen of Hemp FR8 ....but the later versions w./ the matrix hemp ( current version ?) are inferior ?

Lin I tried the Hemptone link but it will not load ...? ...maybe busted ..? ;)

I like the look of and what I have read about Darrel Hawthorne's drivers ....I plan to use the 15" Augies and maybe eventually the Sterling Iris's but I would like to try a smaller ...8" FR first to get a baseline (its easier to cut a larger hole later than a new baffle ) ....my amps are tubed KT88 or EL34 Mono blocks w/ about 70w/ch
the woofs will be driven w/ plate amps
cheers
Bernard

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2008, 09:52 pm »
Works for me.  :scratch:

Try this: http://www.hemptonespeakers.com/

Lin

nodiak

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2008, 09:54 pm »
Bernard, I can't comment on newer Hemp Acc. FR8C's being better or worse as I've never heard them. I was only blabbing about some issues that surround the hemp cone thing. I am happy with these hemp 8's, especially now that they are back on ob with helper woofer. In the end it's just what pleases an individuals senses so you have to try some things, like you are doing. I'll keep trying other drivers too, who knows these may be dethroned someday.
Those sound like some great amps! I think any drivers you get will sound their best with those.
Don

Dmason

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2008, 10:22 pm »
hi Don

I didnt realize you were tinkering with the hemp 8 + helpe woofer. I sort of see that as optimal, because NOTHING sounds like hemp cones, in the magic middle, + that sweet hotrod of an amp with some of my favourite tubes in em.

nodiak

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2008, 10:56 pm »
Hey Dan, my thread about Knight 15's goes into it a little. The Knights are low bass overwhelmers but am going to try them free air and off the floor a few inches to see if they can be lightened up. These 15" Philips alnico are reconed and have now loosened up and blend with the hemps better now that I pulled the caps off hemps. Will try some big caps to find an optimium for letting them carry down a touch into midbass but not get overexcurzed. All in all I think I would just go with Alpha 15's since there would then be ob buddies to confer with.

Don