Noise..noise...noise..

lazydays

Re: Noise..noise...noise..
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2008, 06:36 pm »
Barry,

Not that is likely to change the noise issue...but the LAST Power Cleaner should go on before you clean it with the LAT International Kleer-disc and vacuum.  This powerful pre-cleaner cleans out a lot of gunk from the grooves...that you then want to pick up with the Kleer-disc and vacuum afterwards.

You may be laying down additional gunk in your grooves by using the very effective Power Cleaner after the vacuum process...thus causing more noise than you'd like. Your Dynavector, a moving coil, is likely well damped internally already and is not the cause of the additional surface noise experienced.

Application of the LAST Record Preservative can be done at any time (before the first time you play it, or before or after the vacuum process) as it is not a cleaner...it stabilizes your surface so that it wears far slower than it would otherwise. 

The LAST Record Preservative cannot make any record sound better per se (I read of review/'professional' reviewer once where someone exclaimed that their records sounded great after it's use - it doesn't work that way...you are going on a bit of faith that it is actually stabilizing the vinyl itself with use as you cannot hear its benefits)...it can only forestall the eventual destruction of the grooves by stabilizing the vinyl formulation to resist wear longer.

Call up LAST in California and get their take on things....they have been around 30 years and can really guide you if you have questions. Heck, you own 3 of their products - I think they can give you 10 minutes of time  :thumb: :thumb:

John

try this:
*three ounces of Isopropel Alcohol
*four ounces of distilled water
*one half teaspoon full of Johnsons Baby Shampoo
*quarter teaspoonfull of Foto Flow

Use a good carbon fiber brush (I like the one from Hunt), and the cheap red brush from Radio Shack. First I take the red brush and clean as much of the dust off the surface as possible. Then I spray on the home brew cleaner (not too heavy but just enough to clean the LP). I then wipe the surface by hand; never allow the record to turn under power or spin. I then play the record thru a couple times as the needle will still pick up a lot of junk that's deep in the grooves. After all this I then hit it with Record Last or Groove Glide. Do not over clean the disc! All that does is to impart static. Buy some good sleeves (I personally use the ones from M.F.S.L. that I get from the Elusive Disc). Using this system I usually remove about 95% od the surface noise
gary

AliG

Re: Noise..noise...noise..
« Reply #21 on: 18 Jun 2008, 08:19 pm »
Where do you get the Isopropyl alcohol? Does Walgreen sell them?

try this:
*three ounces of Isopropel Alcohol
*four ounces of distilled water
*one half teaspoon full of Johnsons Baby Shampoo
*quarter teaspoonfull of Foto Flow

Use a good carbon fiber brush (I like the one from Hunt), and the cheap red brush from Radio Shack. First I take the red brush and clean as much of the dust off the surface as possible. Then I spray on the home brew cleaner (not too heavy but just enough to clean the LP). I then wipe the surface by hand; never allow the record to turn under power or spin. I then play the record thru a couple times as the needle will still pick up a lot of junk that's deep in the grooves. After all this I then hit it with Record Last or Groove Glide. Do not over clean the disc! All that does is to impart static. Buy some good sleeves (I personally use the ones from M.F.S.L. that I get from the Elusive Disc). Using this system I usually remove about 95% od the surface noise
gary