Replacing Sony DAV-FX900W "HTIB"'s Passive Subwoofer W/ Powered One

Ed

Have a Sony DAV-FX900W DVD HTIB system that does a good job in all areas but one - weak bass. I've experimented with repositioning the Sony passive sub (7.8" cone/1.5 ohm) with no real gain. Am interested in using a powered sub (like the Polk PSW110- 10"/100W) instead.  The Sony receiver has a speaker level "sub out" but no line level/preamp out, etc..  Additionally, the receiver does not allow conventional "sizing" of the speakers (large/small).  Speaker setup options are as follows: Front (yes by default), Center (Yes/None), Surround (Yes/None) and Subwoofer (Yes by default).
  Can I convert the receiver's speaker level "sub out" to line level by using a quality adapter/converter and plugging it into the powered sub's "Line In/LFE" input?  I know this is not an ideal approach but can I expect a reasonable result from this setup?  If so, any tweaking advise would be appreciated. Or what problems could this approach result in?  Also suggestions on any other powered sub that might work well in this application would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Mike Dzurko

Ed:

Why not just use the speaker level input on virtually any powered sub? Should work just fine :D

Ed

Wasn't sure how that direct approach would affect Dolby Digital function but maybe I'm making this way more complex than necessary. Thanks, that may be the only reasonable way to hook it up. And by the way, the Titan subs are awesome.

Mike Dzurko

Wasn't sure how that direct approach would affect Dolby Digital function but maybe I'm making this way more complex than necessary. Thanks, that may be the only reasonable way to hook it up. And by the way, the Titan subs are awesome.

Should work A-Okay for you and not effect anything else. And thanks, yep, the Titans rock  8)

Eric

The Titan is a great sub