AVS Owners Thread for Selah

kip_

AVS Owners Thread for Selah
« on: 3 Jun 2008, 07:55 pm »
For those of you who are also AVS members I started an owners thread over there... post and contribute please  :D

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1035837

cadobhuk

Re: AVS Owners Thread for Selah
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2008, 09:34 pm »
Anythign new to keep the thread alive?
I tried to let AVS know of selah but seems like all I achieved was the animosity of few highly irritable people. I can see how it looked like "trolling" to them when I was trying to create some noise with only one voice. I dunno why werent there any other owners' voices. Especially since some had many different speakers to make their contributions more credible.

Kris

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2008, 01:56 am »
Selah audio owners are too busy enjoying music with our speakers.  :)
Besides, it feels good to be part of a great minority with a sweet little secret.  :wink:
Small restaurants are better than big food chains. Let's keep it that way.

musicman06

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2008, 04:51 am »
I got logged out of AVS a while back and haven't bothered to log back in yet. Oh, and I only visit the Onkyo forum... oops I mean the "AMPs, Receivers, and Processors" forum there anyway. Guess I haven't seen a need to look in the speaker forum.  :wink:

hikinokie

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2008, 04:15 pm »
I tried to let AVS know of selah but seems like all I achieved was the animosity of few highly irritable people. I can see how it looked like "trolling" to them when I was trying to create some noise with only one voice. I dunno why werent there any other owners' voices. Especially since some had many different speakers to make their contributions more credible.

My voice was there. Review, remember? Plus AVS can be full of arrogant, dismissive know-it-alls who crap on anyone not seeing things their way. I take it with a grain of salt. It's actually kind of fun watching people spend multiples of what I did for speakers I know are not even close to the Selahs I bought. :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2008, 04:41 pm »

I appreciate your desire to spread the word but I have many customers who rarely post on any forums. I know there are companies that receive more "buzz" than we do; however, I've seen many of them come and go in my 30 years of being an audiophile. When I started Selah Audio one of my goals was not to be just another buzz and hype brand. Marketing and sales are important but honesty and integrity come first to me.

A multitude of over-the-top posts often raises a red flag for me. How many times have we all read great reviews and threads about a product only to be  :scratch: when we actually get to see and hear them? Perception often turns out not to be reality. Unfortunately there are companies paying guys to go online and create buzz for them - I've had others verify that this happens. Now watch what they do if you dare to post anything less than gloating about speaker "XYZ". They will immediately attack you, try to discredit you, and claim that you are a troll.

It still holds true that you everything you read should be taken with a grain of salt. What's most important is what you think of the sound and if the performance is making your listening experience enjoyable.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2008, 06:19 pm »
I've only ever heard 3 speakers I'd want to own, full range speakers from VMPS, Dunlavy, and Selah (heard a pair locally at an owner's home in Denver).  These companies put out speakers that are a clear step above the rest, and that's regardless of price.  I don't post much about speakers on any forum because I've found my holy grail (RM40's), and I have a strong suspicion that Selah owners are in the same situation.  When you are a long-time satisfied owner, you don't really feel the need to hype it to the world.

hikinokie

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2008, 11:04 pm »
I really get a great sound from my Tanzanite/ Emotiva MMC/IPS combo but I can't help wondering what they sound like with really top notch gear like Mark Levinson or Krell (not that I can afford it). Has anyone heard anything like that? Rick, what did you use to listen to them before you packed them up to send to me if you don't mind me asking.

gme109

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2008, 01:14 am »
I've only ever heard 3 speakers I'd want to own, full range speakers from VMPS, Dunlavy, and Selah (heard a pair locally at an owner's home in Denver).  These companies put out speakers that are a clear step above the rest, and that's regardless of price.  I don't post much about speakers on any forum because I've found my holy grail (RM40's), and I have a strong suspicion that Selah owners are in the same situation.  When you are a long-time satisfied owner, you don't really feel the need to hype it to the world.

Hi Tyson,

You're invited to come have a listen again, if you'd like. Several things have changed since your last visit. New amps, Channel Islands D200's, much more musical than the Spectron Musician II. Upgraded ic and speaker cable, and new cd player, a Raysonic 168. Also the Excelarray's have had their crossovers upgraded to Mundorf Silver oil caps. Only audio upgrade I see in my future is a sub, the search is on.

Tyson

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2008, 02:21 am »
Hey I might just take you up on that!  I'm in the process of overhauling my entire system, so you are certainly welcome to come over here as well once I get it set up (it should all be here tomorrow). 

gme109

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2008, 02:43 am »
Hey I might just take you up on that!  I'm in the process of overhauling my entire system, so you are certainly welcome to come over here as well once I get it set up (it should all be here tomorrow). 

Sounds good, I'll PM you with my #. Maybe this Saturday?

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2008, 03:06 am »
Family in town this weekend, how about next weekend?

gme109

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2008, 03:44 am »
Family in town this weekend, how about next weekend?

Next Saturday should be fine.

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2008, 03:59 am »
Beauty!  I'll give you a call next week.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2008, 04:44 pm »
I really get a great sound from my Tanzanite/ Emotiva MMC/IPS combo but I can't help wondering what they sound like with really top notch gear like Mark Levinson or Krell (not that I can afford it). Has anyone heard anything like that? Rick, what did you use to listen to them before you packed them up to send to me if you don't mind me asking.

I use a variety of equipment, most of it modestly priced. In my test rig I have a B&K preamp with a Denon amp. My main system has a DEQX for the preamp / D-A conversion, Marantz 5-channel amp, and Marantz CD transport.